UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Refugeees Training Logs/Discussion Thread

purple_mog

hope your ankle is ok Khanu! I just use a regular running belt designed to carry a water bottle and snap the leads onto it with a carrabiner

Mrs B - you are mad!!!

Monday

rest day (and need to change bike tyres!)

Tuesday

Swim

150m regular / 150m arms /150m legs / some lengths alternating normal with fingertip drills - lost count coz I was having fun! Cool down 100m

Massage in afternoon - really deep work on my legs *ouch*

Wednesday

Swim (trying new goggles so more standing around than normal)

100m normal / 100m arms / 100m legs to warm up

4 x 25m alternating normal swim with fingertip drill

4 x 25m single arm alternating each length (really hard work!)

4 x 25m alternating normal with deep scoop catch

100m cool down noticing my form

Planning to bike with new tyres to work this afternoon (9miles round trip)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well, slacker here :rolleyes: Inspired by all your hard training, I decided this morning that I might want to give my old trainer a call, to see if he's still doing thai boxing classes on a Wednesday night. Wednesday afternoon came along, with nicer weather than we have had in a long time, and my plan began to wobble. Come home time and it was a toss up between what I knew I should be doing and what I wanted to do. What I wanted to do won, so I took the dogs on a long walk along the river. I'm afraid getting fit will have to wait until the bad weather returns (won't be long, surely! :rolleyes:), but me n Mr Sparks will be going for a tootle down by the canal tomorrow, before I take Kiera to agility :)

Mog, what's a 'fingertip drill' in swimming? :unsure:

Slow easy run this morning (to the doctors and back so I could drop in a repeat prescription :laugh: ) Khanu and Breck were very well behaved running on lead. CaniX is a possibility. Need a belt to attach leads to though, running with a lead in each hand is awkward.

All the dogs had to come with me to work today as C is away this week. Managed to put my foot down a hole and turn over my ankle :rolleyes: whilst walking them at lunch. Since coming home and taking my sock off it has swollen up. Now icing and hoping that it isn't too bad.

Run tomorrow morning may be postponed.....

Can't link to website for some reason, but have a look here http://www.snowpawstore.com/canicross/cani-belts.html for walking belts. I got one from here and its pretty good. Hope your ankle improves soon. Dont forget to elevate it when you can.

Me n the Sparks went for a slow trot last night - I'm a long way off doing a 5k - *sigh* We then had dinner and afterwards Kiera and I went to agility and we were hopeless! *big sigh* :rolleyes: Desptite my best efforts to clear the school of horse p00 (we train at a riding school) it was just an impossible task last night, and Kiera was not interested in anything but eating as much sh1t as could :sick01: And I c*cked it up even futher by not getting the hang of guiding her right through some less straight forward courses. Oh well, suppose you need to have your not-so-good days as well to appreciate the good days more :unsure:

Thanks for the links :)

Ankle is ok-ish, a bit stiff, walking is OK, running is painful :( Somehow I'm really beginning to doubt I'll be up to the 10k in september - I just haven't been running enough. This means though that it is also unlikely that I'll be ready for 10miles in early december :mad: Trying very hard not to be overly disappointed and lose motivation.

Mog a queston please? - Do you walk your guys on a harness normally? How do you differentiate between, no you can't pull in a harness on a walk and now you can for CaniX? Do you use different harnesses?

Very impressed with everyone's efforts :partytime:

my log entries

Thursday

Run with dogs, planned to be 30mins but cut to 26mins as Finn was a little stiff in his back leg, did some stretching with him and walked home. GPS not back from being repaired so not sure on distance.

Definitely warmer than I expected and was wishing I had taken some water with me!

(no biking)

Friday

Run (5min warm up, 10min cool down plus 15min run) covered about 1.5miles at faster pace than usual. Felt great in my legs but having issues with a nasty stitch near the end.

Definitely noticing that with the running my legs feel really good, its my breathing that actually slows me down or makes me want to stop

Small break for breakfast then biked into work (4.5miles)

Like the look of those belts - there is a fancy Cani-X specific one but since I use mine when I'm hill walking too I haven't bothered as yet!

I use a webmaster harness for hiking and running and my guys are allowed to pull a little on that, so gentle tension is fine - straining is not! But when I run I encourage Finn to get up front and we use cues for speed up and slow down.

Normally I walk them on a flat collar, sometimes with a balance leash, but if in harness then it'd be with two points of contact on a dble ended lead and it's a much lighter and different style of harness?

Finn definitely gets the difference, Little one isn't great at pulling coz she always looks back to see where I am!

Khanu - please don't push yourself if the ankle is still sore :hug:

re: belts I use either a very old climbing belt or something like this belt

I had to buy a new one but really don't like it as much so going back to the original!

Saturday

Had planned to run but woke up with masses to prep for the BBQ plus a teaching session at the Acupuncture College, so just did a brisk 2mile walk with the dogs.

Sunday

planned day of rest and recovery!

Monday

am Swim: 100m warm/up + 50m arms, 50m legs / 500m easy pace / 150m cool down

pm Bike in and out of work, 2 x 4.5 miles

forgot to add some stuff! Important bit was I ran a 5k race on Tuesday night and finished in 31min 15sec which is my best time so far. Swam on Wednesday and still feeling it!

Thursday

Morning brick session: 25min bike (4.6m) 15min run (1.3mile at 11.23min/mile) Was definitely slow coming off the bike and feeling it in my quads and calves from the race on Tuesday night. Eased off after about 5mins but couldn't seem to pick up the pace at all so just settled in and concentrated on my form.

lunchtime: bike home (4.5miles)

pm: massage!

** I have a cope of Joe Friel's "First Triathlon" book if anyone (Khanu Kelly?) is interested?

have been in the nottingham office this tues-thu this week, I'm leaving for home a bit later.

Have been out running everyday, just doing base run at 145-155bpm for 45min-1hr a go. Haven't downloaded the data yet, but this morning my average pace was 8.55 min/mile which I'm pretty pleased with, since when I started I was high 10 pushing 11 min miles so can definitely see the improvements. Still just concentrating on getting out there and doing it, but it's good to be able to track things like pace and distance and see improvements - I've found it really motivating.

Ankle has been ok this week, didn't run at all last week, it's still stiff and hurts to bend it sideways, but ok for walking and running. Not going to try and run trail routes until it's back to normal though as it'll hurt on uneven ground and I'm likely to injure it more I think.

Would love to borrow the book Mog please :flowers: Was actually on my wish list with amazon.

Have been out running everyday, just doing base run at 145-155bpm for 45min-1hr a go. Haven't downloaded the data yet, but this morning my average pace was 8.55 min/mile which I'm pretty pleased with, since when I started I was high 10 pushing 11 min miles so can definitely see the improvements.

Would love to borrow the book Mog please :flowers: Was actually on my wish list with amazon.

*gulp* very impressive pace and numbers!!! I have been talked into going on a 5mile run this weekend to prove that I can run further than I think...

PM me your address and I'll send you the book :flowers:

Mog, do you think you might be overdoing the hard training slightly?

If you ran a race on Tuesday evening, I would have expected to see at least a couple of days rest/recuperation - or at least a bit of slow, gentle exercise. Especially if you're doing a long run this weekend. Do you have a training plan you are working to?

You do seem to be continually pushing yourself ........... :unsure:

Hoping you'll take my comments the right way. :)

Mog, do you think you might be overdoing the hard training slightly?

If you ran a race on Tuesday evening, I would have expected to see at least a couple of days rest/recuperation - or at least a bit of slow, gentle exercise. Especially if you're doing a long run this weekend. Do you have a training plan you are working to?

You do seem to be continually pushing yourself ........... :unsure:

Hoping you'll take my comments the right way. :)

awww thankyou for your comments and of course they've been taken the right way :flowers: I am actually following a training plan based on a couple of beginners triathlon books. The tricky thing with multi-sport seems to be that you really need three sessions per sport per week, but I do always have at least one day totally off from proper exercise - honest :cool:

The swim and biking yesterday was all fairly gentle, and I wasn't pushing myself much this morning - just need to keep ticking over so my body is ok with exercising even when its a little tired?

The longer run this weekend is new as of this morning, so am planning to swim tomorrow morning, probably bike at least one set of commute distances and then take Saturday off (away in Northampton for a Rally-O workshop) before running on Sunday :unsure:

Hello hello, slow coach calling from the back! :wavey:

Tonight was the first trot after the last entry. Due to this, that and the oher I just din't have time. I didn't take Sparks, and I have to say it is definitely easier on my own, I can concentrate on running, rather than on looking what's ahead, coming towards us, coming from behind and .. "whooa, was that an interesting smell Sparks!" :wacko: It felt good tonight though, trotted/ran for a bit longer, as in: shorter breaks inbetween, and it felt like I was trotting a bit faster too. Somehow I don't appear to have iomproved significantly on my time tho, but then I don't time it too precisely, so I might well have taken a minute of the overall time :)

I'm thinking of setting myself a new goal too: every first Sunday of the month they're organising a 5k run in a park that is local-ish to me (plm 15 minute bike ride on a granny bike :) ). I'd not really want to run in that park on my own, because it is well dodgy - on the other hand someone pointed out that I'd get well fast, sprinting to avoid getting robbed! :rolleyes: - but I guess organised runs would be okay. I might just join the 5k in September for a laugh, see how I do and make it a goal to improve on that time for the next month. Gives me something to focus on (and maybe a reason to buy yet another pair of trainers, LOL!)

I'm thinking of setting myself a new goal too: every first Sunday of the month they're organising a 5k run in a park that is local-ish to me (plm 15 minute bike ride on a granny bike :)

ooooh sounds like an excellent goal - might even come over and join you some month if that's okay??