UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Luffley Noo Girls

chickentikka

I would love to have some hens. But I lived in rented and there is a flipping great bit about the livestock I am not allowed to have. :mad: :mecry: So will have to live my dreams through reading this thread. :mecry:

Your chooks look like they are living in heaven and are not quite sure what to do about it!! But I know that they will soon settle in. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

They are obviously feeling happy if they are laying. I can't wait for more pictures :wub:

Have your girls got really long toenails Marian? One of my ex-batts has and I'm trying to clip hers bit by bit but she's not very keen and shouts the place down.

I have the cleverest chooks going :wub: They sussed out getting out of their house quite quickly but going back in was too hard. Tonight I went to put them to bed and they'd all gone in themself. I've put a log at the bottom of the ladder so they have something to hop on and off to get going.

Questions now - (OK they're not so clever) they tip over their feeder and drinker a lot. When I got home from work they had no water due to tipping it up and when I refilled it, and put it upright, they were so thirsty. They've also got the Omlet drinker thing but using that seems beyond them - I think I had it too low so have moved it higher for tomorrow so they have another source of water.

How much should they be eating (cups/mugfulls is fine :flowers: )- they are still on layers mash, but seem to spill most of it. I put some corn in this evening and they just scratched over it. I might try the Omlet feeder thing tomorrow, as that attaches to the side of the run but it only has a little gap for them to get their heads in.

I've had another 4 egg day :biggrin: one seems to lay early and the other 3 later in the day. Apart from egg number 1 all have been in the nesting box.

Isn't it lovely when you peek inside the henhouse to make sure they are all tucked up in there (or is that only me :rolleyes: ) and they give a little chirrup to say goodnight :wub:

I'm sure somebody much more knowledgeable than me will be along in a bit, but I found my girls knocked everything over too so I've hung my feeder and water container up so they are just off the floor - if they are hung too low they scratch a load of bedding into them. My hen house is wooden so it's easy to screw a big cup hook into it, I'm not sure if there is anywhere on the eglu that you can do that.

I think Phoebejo told me a hen will eat about 180g per day but I just keep my feeder topped up all the time now - in the first couple of weeks they stuffed themselves but then settled down and don't tend to overeat now.

I don't think it matters what you put the food in, they'll still find a way to make a mess or destroy the feeder :rolleyes: I had one like yours, I actually quite liked it because the screws were underneath and I thought that'd be foolproof but oh no, the chicks managed to turn it upside down and dismantled it :angry:

With this one:

3kg_green_white_poultry_feeder_300.jpg

They unscrew the top, Forrest Gump likes to shove his head in to eat from the top and other chooks like to perch on top of it and poo all over the food :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how the Glug works but I'm sure they'd figure it out quickly enough. Water is always hung up in my runs or it gets spilt or covered in dirt.