UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dongles

Mrs B

OK. So let's accept that I can take a manual typewriter apart, put it back together, use it to create amazing tables with headers on the slant, footers, and all sorts of other useless stuff ............

But give me stuff that has a chip and a mind of its own, and I am not the sharpest around.

But I keep trying!

So, can anyone explain to me (if it is in fact the case), the relationships between laptops, dongles and SIM cards - preferably without venturing into words which are not in my dictionary - which was printed at least ten years ago. :laugh:

(Well maybe I'm not quite that bad, but I'm definitely not as clever as you with things like this!)

A dongle is a thing which goes in to the USB port on your laptop etc. It uses the mobile phone network to connect to the Internet - so you get mobile broadband. It can work out quite cheap - depending on the deal you get. The one I used had no connection with mobile phones other than using the network.

Also you get to snigger at all the inuendo every time you talk about it.

Diane

A dongle is a thing which goes in to the USB port on your laptop etc. It uses the mobile phone network to connect to the Internet - so you get mobile broadband. It can work out quite cheap - depending on the deal you get. The one I used had no connection with mobile phones other than using the network.

Also you get to snigger at all the inuendo every time you talk about it.

Diane

Yep, I can cope with USB ports (think I have 3 or 4 of those). So do you have a "separate" mobile phone network - to your normal mobile - 'cause mine's PAYG.

So glad you're keeping up with all this technology for me Diane. :)

Uh oh. I knew I would become lost before the night was out!

I think I am thinking of something which will work when I am definitely too far away from my modem to pick up a signal - even when I am wirelessing. (Yep, that's something else I've had to get to grips with!)

Or have I just gone astray?

My youngest doesn't have a house line and has an o2 mobile but uses a '3 Mobile' dongle because it was the best deal & has good coverage for the area. He has a contract for £15 a month.

Hope that's useful!!!

Lynne

Strictly speaking a dongle is any small device that plugs into a computer. In the old days there used to be serial or parallel dongles that prevented a programme working if they weren't plugged into the machine.

Mrs B I think what you are talking about is mobile broadband. As far as I know all the mobile companies offer it. They give you a wireless dongle that goes into your laptop (or desktop if you wish) as part of the contract which enables you to plug into their invisible (via the mobile phone network) broadband network.

Depending on how much you want to use this facility, you might find that a smartphone, which acts like a laptop, is the answer to your needs. Things like the Blackberry have a tiny qwerty keyboard and are fine for occasional email use and a bit of internet surfing. Or the ubiquitous iphone of course. On O2 you get unlimited surfing for your phone for £5/month on top of your normal contract. You'll need to work out whether its sensible to go to a contract. The assortment of deals is amazing.

I have a dongle (always makes me snigger too :laugh: )

I am with Vodaphone, I found the whole thing very easy to get set up, they sent out the dongle, with a sim card, I placed sim in the dongle and plugged into laptop it then automatically downloads the software and off you go, even I managed to install it all by myself :biggrin:

It isn't the fastest connection, but for what I need it for it is by far the cheapest option :)

Edited by Clare

I have a number of fings wot I call dongles and mine are nothing to do with mobile phone networks, but are data storage devices which plug into your USB port so you can either move stuff on or off them. Technically speaking they are USB pens or the like but I call them dongles cos I like it.

Edited by merledogs

If you are looking for mobile Broadband there's a good summary of some of the deals available and some useful FAQ at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/mobile-broadband/

You can also get Pay As You Go mobile broadband, but then you often have to pay for the dongle (love that word!). If you have a contract the dongel is usually free.

If you live out in the sticks it's worth checking that the mobile network you choose has good enough coverage for internet (3G coverage??) in your area. There's a site here where you can check the main networks: http://ukmobilecoverage.co.uk/

I had a PAYG dongle for broadband, but the top up only lasted for a month, so I then moved onto 3 mobile contract at £10 a month.

It is ok, but sometimes it drops connection for no reason!

I have a blackberry storm for surfing the net during the day, so don't really need anything super fantastic for home

Edited by gooster