UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

First Aid Kit For Dogs

BillyMalc

Right before we took off on our first camping trip (as in: an hour, while shopping in PAH :rolleyes:) I had a look at doggie first aid kits. Apart from the saline pods that seemed useful I thought they were charging a whole lot of money for things that you would find in a regular first aid kit (which I already have). Meanwhile, stuff that I bought years ago has either disappeared or is out of date, so into the bin that went. Now what with a summer of camping and all sorts of fun n games, I'd like to assemble a decent doggie first aid kit meself. I've already got:

tweezers

scissors with blunt tops

vetwrap in 2 different sizes

freeze spray for ticks

tick remover

assorted bandages

tape

antibacterial cream (that might be out of date :rolleyes:)

What have you got in your first aid kit that you've found very useful, or think that would come in useful while out on a trip? I'm trying to pack a small sized one for when we're out for the day, and a few additions to leave in the car, "just in case".

Suggestions please, thank you! :flowers:

Thanx Helly :flowers:

Do you use the neem oil undiluted and what do you use it for? I bought the stuff ages ago, and I think it was for disinfecting "something on somebody", but I used 1 part neem oil to 10 parts base oil.

Would pipe lagging be to use as a splint for broken bones per chance? Will get some anyway! :)

The neem oil i use neat, but very sparingly applied with cotton wool. its also a very good fly repellant for human use, and good for cleaning human wounds as well as dogs.

pipe lagging ( the foamy type stuff with a cut down one side that slides onto a pipe)- tail injuries! when your dog has bashed its tail and you need to protect it temporarily, wrap a bit of bandage round the end of the tail, pop on a piece of pipe lagging and bandage that to the first bandage. especially good for a very waggy happy dog who doesnt appreciate the wonder of blood spray :laugh:

There's a list of suggested items here: http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/how-...to-your-dog.htm

Ah, will have a look at that, thank you! :flowers:

The neem oil i use neat, but very sparingly applied with cotton wool. its also a very good fly repellant for human use, and good for cleaning human wounds as well as dogs.

pipe lagging ( the foamy type stuff with a cut down one side that slides onto a pipe)- tail injuries! when your dog has bashed its tail and you need to protect it temporarily, wrap a bit of bandage round the end of the tail, pop on a piece of pipe lagging and bandage that to the first bandage. especially good for a very waggy happy dog who doesnt appreciate the wonder of blood spray :laugh:

Hmm, I can see neem oil being a good fly repellant, it would repel everything else as well :sick01: Won't try it when at the OC camping weekend!

Hmmm, won't need pipe lagging in that case, as my hooligans don't have long, thin tails, and def don't wag them when they are hurt.

Extra stuff I carry (I take a basic human first aid kit designed for going up hills plus these)

anti-bacterial spray to clean your hands

arnica

rescue remedy spray (easier to get into dogs and humans)

soft fabric muzzle

spare lead

And some special items you may not need :laugh:

valium tablets for Finn (use as a memory blocker in case of trauma/noises)

Ignatia spray for hysteria or panic for Finn

Animal sunblock for Farah's pink bits

Like Purple Mog I have the basic human one plus

Wet Wipes

Sunblock for doglets noses

Diazipan Tube for Toastie just in case

Asprin - years ago when Em's face swelled up the emergency vet suggested that rather than taking her in and it costing a fortune to give her half an asprin as it sounded like an allergic reaction... I did, it worked, so carry some just in case now.

Edited by buddyboy

Hmm, I can see neem oil being a good fly repellant, it would repel everything else as well :sick01: Won't try it when at the OC camping weekend!

lol i agree it may me throw up :laugh:

i have some of that liquid plaster stuff, i thnk it is good for animals as you can't really stick a plaster to furry bits :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Emergency Essence is Bach Flower Remedy - like rescue but stronger for shock etc. It's in a spray bottle and you just spray around the animal (or person).

I keep one in my dogwalking bag, one in the car and one at home.

I also got some disposable bootees in 3 sizes - keep wound clean in emergency.