UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mimi/insurance Question

simon77

Hello,

First time poster here. My partner, Ruth, and I have had Mimi for a week now and she's settling in well and is a cracking little dog. We took her to the beach yesterday - there are some pics of that and her first day with us at:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/simonndixon/...feat=directlink

Could anyone recommend good pet insurance for Mimi? She's 12, healthy, with no known conditions. Post office have quoted £416/year. M&S was a bit cheaper but their excesses are huge (£90 + 20% of anything above that). Any advice would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Simon

As others have said with an older dog the premiums can be VERY high. I took a chance with my late Alice and took out insurance for Accidents & Third Party then put about £20 into a high interest account each month and hoped it would mount up to cover any vet bills. At least that way I could put my mind at rest in case she damaged herself while hurtling around.

Axa get good reports.

As she is an older you could also look at policies that give cover up to a set amount, such as £5000, for each incident, for as long as it takes to reach the policy limit and are usually cheaper than lifetime cover such as Axa gives.

Hi Simon.

Good to see you here. I've got Scooby my JRT (also through Oldies Club) insured with AXA. He's 12 ish. I pay £17.91 per month. When shopping around be careful and read all the detail. Some of them will pay out more than others and also some will only pay up to a certain amount for each type of illness etc. When I was looking for insurance in September last year AXA came out on top so I went with them.

Hi everyone,

Thanks to you all for your comments. We'll shop around a bit more, but having got a few quotes it looks like saving up might be the best bet. Mimi has a passport - she might as well have her own bank account too.

Best wishes,

Simon

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum :flowers:

I had my oldie insured with M&S but that was a few years ago now when the policy was better I think. I think I would look to AXA over M&S now.

If I put money away for vet bills, I would still look at third party insurance - I have heard that some house insurance policies include this but it's not something I've looked into as I've always had it with the general pet insurance.