UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dillon Is Very Poorly

cindere528

Really pleased Dillon seems to be picking up :GroupHug:

Re Nelly's tummy, if it's tender do you think it's worth ringing the vet to see whether they want to see her (it's just I've known dogs to have really tender tummies when they've had blockages so might be better to be safe than sorry) :GroupHug:

Healing thoughts being sent for both :flowers:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really pleased Dillon seems to be picking up :GroupHug:

Re Nelly's tummy, if it's tender do you think it's worth ringing the vet to see whether they want to see her (it's just I've known dogs to have really tender tummies when they've had blockages so might be better to be safe than sorry) :GroupHug:

Healing thoughts being sent for both :flowers:

Thanks, but she went to the vet's yesterday with Dillon. The vet said that there's a tummy bug going round and that's what she thought she'd got. The vet had a good feel around her tum & said she was sure there was no blockage, although it was tender, it was all soft & feelable (there's a proper word for that, but I can't remember it :rolleyes: )

Wel, we're certainly not out of the wood yet. I had to have the emergency vet out at 1 o'clock this morning.

Nelly was getting worse & worse as the night went on, had been sick a few times and was having difficulty breathing.

The vet suggested meeting me at the surgery but I said I couldn't do that because Dillon couldn't be left due to his heart problems.

She came out & found that Nelly had fluid on her lungs which was causing her breathing difficulties. She also had a very painful tummy. The vet took Nelly's temperature which, thankfully was normal, so she said we can rule out pneumonia but we can't rule out things such as pancreatitis

The vet gave Nelly a painkilling injection and a long lasting antibiotic injection. She told me to give Nelly one of Dillon's Frusemide tablets to get rid of the fluid on her lungs and then to give her half a tablet this morning & another half later today.

The painkilling injection knocked her out for about 4 hours, but her breathing was so bad that I couldn't get to sleep for about 2 hours. I finally managed to nod off at around 4 am when her breathing quietened down a bit (which I think means the Frusemide is working).

Dillon then woke me up around 6 am because he wanted to go out. On the plus side, you wouldn't believe he was the same dog as on Friday when he was so desperately ill, he is bouncy, lively, hungry, gobby, all the things that a cocker should be

I haven't dared to ask the vet how much this is all going to cost me . I paid £152 at the surgery on Friday, and last night's home visit is going to be astronomical. I've never had a vet home visit before, so I have no idea what they charge.

So anyway, can I please ask for your get better thoughts for poor Nelly who is much more poorly than I first thought.

I am sorry to hear of all your troubles and hope Nelly is feeling much better now, bless her.

You look after yourself too and try and get some rest when you can. I know from experience how draining it is when you are up and down thro the night with them :GroupHug:

Thinking positive thoughts for all 3 of you :flowers:

Sending more healing thoughts for Nelly :GroupHug:

Pleased Dillon is doing well though :flowers:

It's horrible when they are all ill at the same time isn't it (I had all 5 of mine poorly at one stage towards the end of last year) :(

Edited by merledogs

We all went to bed early last night, I was knackered

Anyway, we all slept really well until around 4am, then Nelly was sick again. She has parted company with the rice :worried_anim:

I got up & let them both out & Nelly did a big bright yellow poo.

We all went back to bed again & slept till about 7, then Dillon wanted another wee (having dogs on diuretics is such fun - NOT :ohno02: ) So we went down & while they were both having wees, I prepared Dillon's heart meds (crushed in Philadelphia cheese ) He's supposed to take them 1 hour before food, so I'm going to go & give him some brekkie in a minute. I gave Nelly her diuretic & her tummy medicine (which is a liquid she has to have in a syringe). She hates it and I have to hold her firmly to make her have it. She makes me feel as if I'm ill treating her when I do that :worried_anim:

I think Nelly may have to see the vet again today because she is not as well as I'd hoped by now. Could be just that I shouldn't have fed her last night, maybe her tummy needed to rest a bit longer, but she was hungry, so I didn't want to refuse her