UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ogmore Beach Dog Walk Anyone?

lil_angel

It's the initial greetings that are a problem for Riley - she is quite unsure of herself around some dogs and a number of things happened to make things worse. We chose the wrong dog walker who put her in situations where she couldn't escape from over-keen dogs, plus her slight incontinence and anal gland stuff made her smell irrisistible to some dogs. So she'd roll over as the dogs approached, but instead of backing off they'd crowd round her and lick her - the dog walker didn't prevent or interrupt this so she'd panic and eventually snap to get them away from her. Add to this the pain her glands were causing her, being accidentally drowned by a Newfie and it was not a good mixture. There are times that I feel really awful for all this - we failed her :mecry: . She's learned that snarling makes dogs go away and she uses it - sometimes it's appropriate, other times its not.

Anyway, she is getting a lot better - I spend time with her doing lots of greetings with other dogs, and lots of click / treat for being relaxed etc - plus Kevin is helping hugely as it takes the pressure off her. He greets the approaching dog(s), she hangs around the sidelines and sniffs / greets as she feels able and then will play or ignore depending on the dog. She does love to run, wrestle and boing with other dogs.

Fugee dogs sound like they won't hassle her - I just hope her own manners are as good!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, poor Riley :wub: She was a little star when you came to my house for the dog show a couple of years back :wink:

Honestly though, Sian, its a big wide beach at Ogmore and there's plenty of room so if you feel more comfortable, maybe you could lag behind the main group as it were and that'll give Riley the time to get her bearings and feel a little calmer?

With loads of the gruop walks, although there can be a big group of people, we always tend to split off into smaller groups. Hopefully that won't be so stressful for Riley :flowers:

poor Riley , I know from experience with Winnie that its hard when offlead dogs hassle a nervous dog ( even if they are just being friendly ) and it becomes a vicious circle

the difference here is that we all understand , if Riley needs to tell anyone off then they can suck it up and learn a lesson from it - equally as we all know Riley needs some space we can all do our best to ensure that she does not get over whelmed etc

do you have red hanky or bandana that you can tie to her lead and then everyone can see even from a distance that its Riley and she would like a bit of space whilst she is onlead

once she is offlead I am guessing ( like Winnie ) that being able to run gives her a sense of control as she can get away from other dogs and when they are running they are not really interested in bum sniffing

Most dogs we come across get on with Louie I think its because he has really soft features. We have two nervy dogs in training class and they both like him. Apart from having a slight ear obsession he gets on well with other dogs and doesnt normally cause a problem.

Am rather excited about meeting nooo fugees :biggrin:

ETA, Wiggle is fab with other dogs, bless him but he's really not keen on dogs that are full on and want to jump up at him and won't take no for an answer. So long as he's got a tennis ball to chase after, he's happy :wink:

Wiggle is bl**dy fantastic with other dogs Wendy, look how he's been with Max :wub:

I keep my dogs away from on-lead dogs unless I know them and know that they're on-lead because of bad recall etc. I know what it's like to have dogs running up when you've got a dog on-lead for a reason. Tis not fun.

M-M and Sno are fine as long as another dog doesn't try to hump them, then they may (understandably I think!) get a little told off.

Thank you lovely fugees and your lovely dogs.

Funnily enough on today's walk we met everything from teacup yorkies with attitude to curious great danes, with a sprinkling of labs, GRs, GSDs and Springers in between. She was utterly fabulous with all of them :laugh: - Kevin definitely helps - plus she remembered that when she's off lead she can run away if she wants to, she doesn't have to just lie there.

I'm getting a tad excited about this walk now. As well as the walk itself, I'll be having the company of some very lovely Fugee's and Fugee Dogs the night before :biggrin:

Once we know the definite meeting time from Amy, depending on tide times etc, if anyone who's coming from the east and wants to meet at Leigh Delamere service on the M4 Junction 17, let me know :flowers:

Thank you lovely fugees and your lovely dogs.

Funnily enough on today's walk we met everything from teacup yorkies with attitude to curious great danes, with a sprinkling of labs, GRs, GSDs and Springers in between. She was utterly fabulous with all of them :laugh: - Kevin definitely helps - plus she remembered that when she's off lead she can run away if she wants to, she doesn't have to just lie there.

What a good girl :wub: Fi is hoping to come along too, so she'll be able to see how well they're doing together for herself :biggrin:

You won't have to wait long, Wendbert. Sorry I didn't notice Amy's post about tide tables sooner. The problem is solved! Here is the ultimate tide table site which gives tides from 100AD to 2059 :laugh: Us beach bums know about these things :wink:

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/index.aspx

Hope it is OK, I have invited a friend who lives not far away from Ogmore to join us for the walk. Dogless at present, but loves them.