UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs And The Credit Crunch

cheryl33

Not sure if this is contro or not?

Anyhoo, there are several people at work who have dogs.

There is a receptionist who has just given her dog to the local rescue as she cannot afford to keep the dog any more.

There is a bloke whose parents have mastiffs and they are going to breed from them due to the father losing his job and they, like many, have bills, mortgages etc to pay and obviously think selling puppies will make them a few quid.

I know everyone is suffering at the moment and it affects them in different ways but I could never dream of giving Henry away because I couldn't afford him. I have had to make changes, like he doesn't go to day care as much now (once every two weeks) and I have changed his insurance over (saving a whole £4.21 per month).

has anyone else noticed this in dog owners? Do you think rescues need to be cautious as well from people adopting?

Sorry if I have not made sense, I will try a bit later on - rushed as I am in work!

I have not personally come across this but have heard a lot of news about people giving their animals away because of the 'credit crunch'. I understand people are under more pressure financially because of job security etc but I wouldn't dream of giving my animals away. I guess that’s the difference between someone who 'owns' a dog and someone whose dog is part of the family.

I also don't get the idea people have to give up their pets to save money. Unless you have loads of pets surely cutting out a night or two at the pub/ eating out etc would equal more or less the same as the regular monthly expense of a dog. The hardest part is the vet bills but surely vets should be doing their bit to help people out in these tough times?? Also if you know you are never going to be in a position to fork out 2k or 3k at a time for an illness surely pet insurance is worth the monthly outlay?

On a personal note I have cut back the insurance on one of my dogs to save money. I have swopped the cats’ food from sachets to tins (half the price per kg) as with 3 of them they get through a tin in a day or 2 anyway and have their normal biscuits in addition. Rats I have taken to shredding paper for them instead of buying bedding - all the free newspapers I pick up. My dogs roughly cost me £80 - £100 a month for 2 Labradors (food £30, insurance £50, other misc).

£80 is easily equivalent to a new outfit, weekend at the pub, fancy meal for two etc etc. I think it's all about priorities. We have very few (if any holidays) each year, not much of pub people or eating out but in return for missing those brief luxuries we have daily unconditional amounts of furry cuddles and rewards that are worth more than any of those other things.

Those I feel for are the ones genuinely affected or made redundant, those doing their best to live and get by but have no choice. I cannot feel for the people who use giving up their pets as the first solution. I have had tough times and once during that time I worked 2 sometimes 3 jobs at once. Not ideal for pet owning by any means but it wasn’t forever and both my dogs and I survived. I do feel where there is a will there is a way.

I guess as with most things, it depends on the circumstances. If you don't have quite enough money for cat food but are still drinking, taking holidays, smoking and eating meat, then it's an easy judgement to make, but a lot of people now seem to be in trouble that is quite a bit deeper than the kind of thing you can manage by cutting down on non-essentials.

I would not wish to surrender my pets, but I have one dog with severe separation problems who was homed to me specifically because his previous owners could not give him the environment he needed. If my circumstances changed and I had to leave him every day to go out to an office and was working long days, then I don't see how I could responsibly meet his needs. If I was at risk of actually losing my home or had lost it, then I'd struggle to ensure the cats had proper care too: 6 large active cats need a lot of space!

Insurance is all very well, but even if you have it, it's so easy to end up with an expensive problem. 5 years ago, I switched insurance companies when my dog had a very slight front leg limp that I thought was down to a temporary muscle strain so was not concerned that it was excluded from my policy : I am now paying about £35 a month for painkillers and food supplements on that leg - and I'm thankful that that's all it is: it could have been a lot more.

So I dunno. I agree that dogfood is not a great cost in the greater scheme of things but I can see that it would be possible to end up in a situation where it really would be fairer to the animals to find them a new home that can offer them everything they need.

Luclily I know no one who is in this position.

My dog £9 a month in dried food. £11 a month insurance. She has tuna or a raw egg chucked in her dinner some times and all our left overs. I do buy her the odd hide chew but, no that often.

The most expencive part of having my Lottie is the deisel. I choose to walk her every day in the forest which is 20 minutes drive away.

Mind you I do not go out so what else do I spend my money on?

I think some people will use it as an excuse to rehome a dog or they will rehome before they look at reducing their spending on other things BUT I do think there are people who are genuinely having to rehome animals because they're facing dreadful things like evictions and redundancies and maybe having to work longer hours away from home and finding their dogs can't cope. That must be a devastating decision, but one made with the dog's best interest at heart.

Have you told the people planning on breeding to make some money that whole litters have been handed into rescue, unsold, because other idiots, sorry people, tried the same thing and found it didn't work?!

sadly I have had a few people ask me to take their dogs because they can't afford to keep them. One actually brought the dog to my door,smoking all the time when she was talking to me . When I suggested that as he was only a small dog she could change from his expensive pouches to a cheaper dry food she said that she likes to give him the best. When I again pointed out that he would probably prefer to have cheaper food and stay with his family she just said "i tried it and he didn't like it". Every time I suggested anything she just dismissed it. When I suggested that she might cut back on her smoking a bit she called me an effing cheeky cow and said that her fags and her pub were her only pleasures and that why should she go without. :( Unfortunately I couldn't take her dog in but I gave her the numbers of several rescues. I don't drink,smoke,play bingo or go to the pub. My only expenses are the dogs,my mobile and going to our caravan (which was fully paid for years ago) We gave up foreign holiday to buy the caravan so that the dogs could come away with us. I would give up anything to keep my girls. x

When I suggested that she might cut back on her smoking a bit she called me an effing cheeky cow and said that her fags and her pub were her only pleasures and that why should she go without. :(

That I find baffling - and if she prefers fags and booze to her dog, then hopefully he found himself a more deserving home! :(

I do think there are people who are genuinely having to rehome animals because they're facing dreadful things like evictions and redundancies and maybe having to work longer hours away from home and finding their dogs can't cope. That must be a devastating decision, but one made with the dog's best interest at heart.

I agree on that and its a very selfless thing to do to put the animals best interests first. I sincerely feel for those people and they are out there in these difficult times.

• 1 month later...

We have 8 dogs and they are fed well and looked after well, it costs us around £30 a month to feed them and i would rather have my phone off then give up any of them if needs be.

They are apart of my family and you dont see many people handing their kids in as they cost to much...

I would do carboots and stuff if i was suffering or look at something else that we could cut back on. But i have heard lots of people giving up their pets as they can no longer afford it.

I think some people will use it as an excuse to rehome a dog or they will rehome before they look at reducing their spending on other things BUT I do think there are people who are genuinely having to rehome animals because they're facing dreadful things like evictions and redundancies and maybe having to work longer hours away from home and finding their dogs can't cope. That must be a devastating decision, but one made with the dog's best interest at heart.

Yup, have to agree there, sadly some people won't have a choice but to give up their dog, but there are those who will dispose of a dog like it was an old television, ending up at a rescue at least, is better than being dumped on the street, or worse.

Not sure if this is contro or not?

We have 8 dogs and they are fed well and looked after well, it costs us around £30 a month to feed them and i would rather have my phone off then give up any of them if needs be.

They are apart of my family and you dont see many people handing their kids in as they cost to much...

I would give up anything to keep my girls. x

I think it probably is "contro." in some ways as you look at the different views expressed here & there isn't one that could be said was unreasonable - yet there's an argument both ways here in terms of giving up the dog.

For myself I'm afraid I'm (as usual :rolleyes:) of a very clear & specific view - basically that of the latter two quotes - my dogs are part of the family & no matter what else I have to do / give up they'll stay that way until the day I / they die & so should anyone elses

Edited by Ian

im only on disabled benefits, but dont drink or smoke. My 3 dogs are my life. They are on raw food and whatever complete is on offer. I got a chest freezer off freecycle for them. I fill the freezer for about £20 which feeds them for 2 months or so

im only on disabled benefits, but dont drink or smoke. My 3 dogs are my life. They are on raw food and whatever complete is on offer. I got a chest freezer off freecycle for them. I fill the freezer for about £20 which feeds them for 2 months or so

Must say that my freezer is like a knackers yard. It seems very cheap to feed raw. £20 would buy me 50lbs or raw mince. 15 lbs of either, lamb necks, chicken wings, hearts.

I pay £9 for a 15 kg sack of CSJ

Teddy Texas came into my life a week before the dreaded redundancies hit the family. The income finally dries up next month., so I have to look into benefits, but I dont think I am due anything.

I can do odd jobs, but only those that TT can attend with me. But fortunately there is a good well established "grey" economy where I live. A lot of it doesnt use "pounds"

I think I might get by and hope to maintain teddy to the level which he is accustomed--- well maybe only fresh chicken once a week , but plenty of brown rice ( a sack full for replacing a broken window in the shop) and the boiling of some slightly over the top lamb ( hand sharpening of butchers knifes)

Just to be on the safe side I maxxed out a new credit card at a german online pet store and have got quite a stock in the attic .

What hurts me the most is that I used to have a lot of surplus that i could spread around a bit to do some good. Its going to be hard to do this nut it is a priority.

( Building a hand cart to sell baskets at local events and come the season , a friday/saturday night " security" job for the local fair provider)

I am afraid I am going to be quite selfish and keep TT with me even when I am living in a tent on the roundabout. No doubt I will be told I shouldnt. I lived for two years in a minivan with a mad Belgian shepherd, ok am 30 years older , but TT is wonderful. ( and is starting his own business to help his friends.