UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is It Just Me?

fee4

my lovely victorian house has a god awful kitchen.

i have decided to have a new kitchen and put a conservatory on the back which i can use as a dining room... with fab views of the garden.

now im pretty chilled about all that except....

im totally without any and i mean any domestic vision.-i have no idea how people decide that shade A of blue is better then shade B of blue....how has anyone got any idea of what it will look like till it arrives-and is in?

why dont i really care that much?

i feel really freaked about having to make decisions about things like taps-FFS water comes out or it doesnt-end of story-i just dont get the house beautiful stuff?

the kitchen man came today-and i had the weird desire to say-just design & choose it-im happy to live with it

the conservatory woman comes tomorrow-and i know they will ask me about flooring-i dunno i just walk on the stuff! AARGH

fee

:laugh: Yeah it's just you... I spent hours pouring over the right kind of taps on the internet... the right bath... the right shower head and tiles... and oh for the kitchen, how many hours did i spend looking at how you lay tiles to get the design of the floor just right :laugh:

I'm on the garden now. I'm resisting looking at different types of koi :laugh: Can I decide your kitchen for you :biglaugh:

Oh it's deffo just you. I look forward to choosing bits and bobs when my kitchen and bathroom are finally sorted. I love looking at things like that. I am pretty good at making quick decisions and don't like having to trawl around lots of different shops searching for stuff though.

Me too!

SB, would koi be safe with your gang?

They might eat Muppet.

:laugh: seriously, it's a raised pond, that so far neither Cass nor Meg show signs of doing anything in other than leaping over. They're used to a normal fish pond so i'm hoping this one is just as boring for them. As its fed by a natural reed bed I'm also hoping Cassie doesn't decide to drain it of reeds...

Its just you. I love all the details, but maybe you should concentrate on practicalities - there are warm floors and cold ones, taps that are longer lasting (and more expensive to start) etc etc

A friend is soon to rent out his house, and his four koi are coming here for safety (and forever!). They were in the pond when he bought the house 13 years ago. And as you may know, Koi don't limit their size according to the size of the pond. They just keep growing. In this case I think the smallest one is probably nearly 2 feet long - excluding tail!!!

Anyone know how you move big fish?

Ruth

Oh, and I have a fence round the pond - to keep the daycare labrador out!

It's not just you.

When we had a new kitchen I got really stressed by the designer asking me questions and kept answering them with "I don't know, whatever you think I should have I'm sure will be fine." The way I see it is that kitchen designers put lovely kitchens together all day long, so they know what they are doing, and I don't :rolleyes: I love my kitchen and I'm happy with everything that the designer chose for it.

I do 'get' the house beautiful stuff though and I love looking at magazines, I just don't know how to make choices and put things together :wacko:

Can we see some before and after pictures :flowers:

no its not just you. I hate making decisions. even when we choseour new car I asked if it would tow a caravan,the answer was yes so i chose it. No,I didn't want to test drive it. If i had to choose flooring I would just decide on a basic colour for the lot and do a shade of that. I can't picture wallpaper on walls,material into clothes or curtains etc. I really am not into interior design and yet I get compliments on how well my house all matches in colours etc ! :wacko: :laugh: x

I usually have a rough idea what I want the end result to be, but boy, do I hate trawling round looking for the individual bits. Boring. I just want it over with.

In your case, I'd make sure you don't let them ruin your Victorian house by putting in a wildly contemporary kitchen which will date the minute they leave the house (unless the rest of it the house is contemporary). I've been looking online at cottages in Scotland recently and can't believe how many have been wrecked - externally, pretty single-storey stone building with gables; internally, bland decor, new stainless steel fireplaces, laminate over the real wood floors, every interesting feature plastered over... :mecry: I know it can be changed, but it doesn't attract me as a buyer, so another thing to consider is whether you're staying put for a while, in which case you can please yourself, or whether you need to appeal to a specific market.

Good luck. :flowers:

:laugh: Yeah it's just you... I spent hours pouring over the right kind of taps on the internet... the right bath... the right shower head and tiles... and oh for the kitchen, how many hours did i spend looking at how you lay tiles to get the design of the floor just right :laugh:

Can I decide your kitchen for you :biglaugh:

in a word-yes.

the last time i did serious diy in old house (i had new kitchen, bathroom and had slate flooring throughout the ground floor-it was all chosen by the time i had made and drunk a mug of tea)

i then went on holiday leaving keys and catering packs of tea/biscuits etc in old kitchen.

when i came home-all done!

oh God-kitchen man is going to draw it all up and email some pics-we can then go into show room to look at all the other bits....oh dear God

Its just you. I love all the details, but maybe you should concentrate on practicalities - there are warm floors and cold ones, taps that are longer lasting (and more expensive to start) etc etc

A friend is soon to rent out his house, and his four koi are coming here for safety (and forever!). They were in the pond when he bought the house 13 years ago. And as you may know, Koi don't limit their size according to the size of the pond. They just keep growing. In this case I think the smallest one is probably nearly 2 feet long - excluding tail!!!

Anyone know how you move big fish?

Ruth

Oh, and I have a fence round the pond - to keep the daycare labrador out!

go to a koi centre or aquarium and ask if you can have one of their delivery boxes, fish are delivered usually in large polystyrene boxes with lids fill the box pop the fish in and move it to where its going :flowers:

We chose our entire kitchen in 20 minutes from a catalogue. My SIL on the other hand took months to choose hers with much too'ing and froo'ing to show rooms and many, many changes. When it was finally installed she didn't like it. I think you can think about it too much.

The only bit of our kitchen we didn't chose was the tiles as they were left overs from SIL's kitchen, they don't really go that well but we aren't arsed. It saved us a fair few pennies to take cast off's :laughingsmiley:

The flooring was the kitchen fitters suggestion, it's laminate, as he noticed there was 50% off when he went to the builders merchants to order something. He had fitted it elsewhere so recommended it and we just said "Ok then".

I'm easily pleased.

The kitchen man showed me the taps and I asked which ones went with the kitchen best,he pointed some out and I said 'yes those will do'.Same with the work top too and the sink.Choosing all the bits n bobs took approximately 5 minutes...that's probably including the oven and hob too :laugh:

It looks fab so being easily pleased clearly works well and I didn't give myself a headache or get stressed so I see this method as a bonus :biggrin: