UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Old Man Grandad Ben

nicky H

We were contacted in September 2007 about a lovely old man, 12 years old and being rehomed at his age :( Grandad Ben :wub:

His mum and dad had moved house, leaving ben with their neighbour. the neighbour was working all day every day and ben was left home alone :(

Les kindly offered to drive up to Blackpool to pick ben up and bring him to mine on Foster.

When he arrived he was SO confused and just wanted to go home :mecry:

033.jpg

I still remember the first time he came over for a fuss, i was sat at the PC and he came over to me, stared into my eyes and gave me his paw and i burst our crying :rolleyes:

I think from then on i knew noone would be good enough and he probably wouldnt be going anywere, they would of had to be extra special to get this lad from my claws! :wub:

B1.jpg

We had a few enquiries (including most of BDRNE :lol ) but i kept saying no, even thought most of them were great homes!

In the end i just had to give in and realise that there was no way he was going anywere. He was so confused when he arrived, it took him quite some time to settle in and be comfortable with our routine, But he settled and he was happy, there was no way i was putting him through that again at his age.

Ben was a lovable old Gent, he was as stubborn as an ass, but take him to a field/park/beach and he was like a 12 month old puppy again. :wub:

portraits2.jpg

20072212.jpg

20072237.jpg

Turkey on Toast - Xmas 2007 :wub:

20072514.jpg

Enjoying his favourite treat EVER - Yoghurt!

20072875.jpg

062.jpg

beach9.jpg

beach8.jpg

beach3.jpg

In August 2008 ben started showing his age. he was slowing down alot. His back legs were getting weak, he was almost completely deaf and had cataracts in both eyes. He also started to develop a cough. The vet thought it may of been his heart, but after having an ECG nothing abnormal showed up.

Ben seemed to do ok for a few weeks, but in early September he went downhill again. He went off his food and was constantly sleeping.

Ben never improved or recovered this time, i tool him to the vets yet again who basically told me if just have to face the fact that he IS getting old, he was then 13 yrs old, i ripe old age for a boxer. But that still didnt make it any easier. I decided to take him home and enjoy the weekend with him, with the vet coming out to the house on the Tuesday (23rd).

But on the 22nd September, i got home from work, ben got up from his bed and seemed very unsteady on his feet, i helped him out to the garden as he needed the toilet. He collapsed in the garden and i rushed him to the vet. His gums were white and he seemed in pain. The vet was positive he was bleeding internally, it was likely he had a tumour in his Abdomen which had ruptured. :mecry: I agree'd to let the vet send him on his way. He was in pain and I was not putting him through anymore for my own sake, as hard as it was to loose him so soon after Chance i knew it was what was best for him, to keep him here would be cruel and for my benefit only. He had had enough. I will never EVER forget that day and would NEVER wish anyone to go through what i did.

Ben left for the Bridge on the 22nd September 2008, just 4 days before his first gotcha Day :mecry:

Sleep tight my gorgeous old boy, one in a million who will NEVER be forgotten :mecry:

3104.jpg

Edited by nicky H

• 2 weeks later...