UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Just Had A Call From Our Dogwalker And She Can't Walk The Hounds

Tempest

Long story but basically after 4 years of working from home and being here constantly for the dogs I need to start supply teaching from next week (am hoping I'm only going to have to do 3 days a week) and a few months ago I started hunting down a dogwalker/sitter as I'd used one before and not been very pleased with them :unsure:

Anyway I found someone who I thought was absolutely fantastic, she's petsat for a couple of weekends away and been great and I really really like her. She totally understand the quirks my two both have and was just really brilliant.

So with next week being the first week I need to use her regularly for 3 days a week she's basically just rang and said that she had to have xrays on her back last week and got the results yesterday and needs to have back surgery for a disc problem and can't walk the dogs for the foreseeable future :mecry: At the moment she's got no idea when the op is or how long the recovery time is but it could be months (if ever) she is able to come back :mecry:

I'm having a major panic this morning as basically now I have no-one to use for the dogs from next week and the dogs had got to know her and I felt comfortable with her and tbh by next week I'm not going to feel comfortable just giving the house keys to someone I don't know and who doesn't know the dogs :(

I really did feel worried about leaving the dogs anyway and going out 3 days a week and now I feel absolutely beside myself and not sure what to do :unsure:

Just wondering if anyone had any bright ideas? My mum can possible nip in to let them out for a loo break during the day but obviously that isn't ideal and I don't have any other friends/neighbours etc who could take them out as they all work.

Oh Jules that's difficult (poor dog walker too, ouch!).

Can your mum stay with them for a while to give them a bit of company as well as a loo break? If she can and you can walk them before or after work yourself, I'm sure that would be fine.

Then it would give you the chance to find another dog walker without having to rush into using one you weren't sure about.

:GroupHug:

I'm sure your dogs will cope a lot better than you think they will. I used to panic if I thought my dogs were going to be left for longer than a few hours, but they really don't give a stuff and cope very well with me not being there (I know this because I set up a webcam).

If your mum could pop in at lunchtime and sit with them, even for half an hour, I am sure the dogs will be fine :)

I don't know if there is a Petpals in your area, but I have used our local one and was happy with them.

Edited by merledogs

We got our dogwalker by advertising in our village magazine.

We found someone who was not a professional but very responsible and it was a little job for her whilst her child was young. She has been with us since 1999, never let us down and our dog numbers have risen from 2 to 4. She has also walked foster dogs, fed foster pups...... we are so lucky but I understand your panic as we thought we might lose her when she went for a full time job earlier this year.

Well might have had a bit of luck - I rang our agilty trainer and she said she might know someone who'd be interested and basically came back to me with a name/number of someone who is a friend of hers.

Just gave them a call and they sounded really nice - live about a 10 minute walk from my house - have 3 dogs of their own - and compete at agility and represent England in the Cani-Cross!!!!!

She's going to give me a call back at the end of the week and arrange to come over on Sat/Sun to meet the dogs and have a chat.

Although it might not pan out at least it sounds pretty positive hopefully!

One of my neighbours used to come home every day in their lunch time and walk their dog, they never missed, one day when their dog was about 2 years old and it was winter, their dog started to refuse to go out at lunch time so they gave up. Their dog was very happy with them being out for so long, they were teachers and were home about 3.30pm anyway.

Some dogs can cope with being left all day especially as they dogs mature, as a supply teacher you won't be home late so your dogs may be able to cope anyway and may not need a dog walker as long as you are able to walk the dogs as soon as you get home.

How long will you be away on the 3 days? I've recently started a new job where mine are now being left just over 6.5 hours - far from ideal I know but they have adapted just fine,get plenty of walks as my working day is now 6.5 hours on a shift rota so they either get a very long walk after or before depending on my schedule.If your mum can pop in to give them a toilet break and you are able to exercise them before and after work I'm sure they'll be fine.

As I'm going to be supply teaching I'm likely to be at different schools (some secondary some primary) with different teaching hours. I know a lot of the secondaries around here start at 8 - 8.30 and if I've got to travel I think its going to be really hard to take the dogs out before work tbh :unsure:

Taking them out after work is less of a problem but now its going to be dark by 4pm it would have to be onlead which isn't ideal for Jess :(

I would imagine I'm likely to be out from 8-4 as a guide :unsure:

Just thought I'd add a quick update as the lady I chatted to on the phone came round today to meet the dogs.

I thought she seemed fine and I was quite specific about how Jess needs to be walked. One thing that took me by surprise was that she mentioned about some other dogs she walks - which I knew she did - and she asked if it would be okay to take Jess out with an Airdale she walks that lives not too far away.

It kinda caught me on the hop and I said that it shouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure how she'd go about doing an introduction as apparently he doesn't go offlead and Jess is barky onlead and she'd be taking Jess to his house to meet him. I asked if he was okay with other dogs and she said he was fine but could have the odd grumble but nothing that she wasn't confident to deal with.

I think I gave the impression that I wasn't too keen as we left it as for the first week she wouldn't do that but would just get to know Jess on her own but now I've thought about it tbh I'm not comfortable about her being walked with another dog I don't know at all really. The other thing is that I think that if I'm being charged a flat fee for her walks (which is a tenner) it seems a bit cheeky to me if she's walking Jess with another dog at that same price.

Anyways I've given her a key today but I'm not sure what to do now :unsure:

I was thinking about phoning/texting her and saying I've had a think about it and I'd rather that Jess was just walked on her own. I know with hindsight I should have said that but tbh I'm rubbish when I'm put on the spot and just tend to panic and agree :unsure: And I'm also thinking how am I going to know whether or not she'll just take her out with the other dog anyway :/

The other thing I wasn't sure about was I asked how long she'd be taking her out for and she said it depends on where/what she was taking her. She said if she was going to the fields and Jess was flat out running/playing ball then maybe only 20 mins but if she's street walking her then she'd go for longer. I thought that a tenner sounded a bit steep for 20 mins tbh as I thought that would be for an hour :/

Edited by Tempest

I wouldn't want any of my 5 walked with an unknown dog, especially Maddie.

Different if it's known they get on with each other, but things can escalate and with the best will in the world one person may not be able to deal with any problem. What would she do if an unfriendly off lead dog approached her and the dogs? £10 sounds a lot to me I'd be expecting at least an hour, or 2 x 20mins sessions.

Hope it works out. I always get caught out and can never think of how to reply when put on the spot like that.

AnnS