UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Deep Breath - I Need Some Help / Advice Fugees Please

Clare

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would you be entitled to tax credits or any rebates? its worth looking into. Good luck. :flowers: x

Thanks I have looked a little into this and I can get a single occupancy reduction in my council tax :flowers:

I have a spare freeview unit here if you want one? I got freeview plus for Christmas, so it's just sat upstairs now not doing anything :flowers:

Thank you that is really really kind, I would love it if you are sure you don't need it, I will cover the postage :flowers:

Loki's feet are awful, although my farrier has done a wonderful job with them, but he can't be without shoes and the cost is twice that of a normal horse :rolleyes:

Is Murf really old? I have just kept mine on the usual dog food and my older dogs are aged 9-10, but I feel they do not yet warrant moving to an "oldies" food.

You can buy Arden Grange for around £25-35 for a 15kg bag and I think that's a good dry food. Skinners is also regularly recommended by lab owners and I think that's cheaper but doesn't seem to have any nasty ingredients (no BHA/BHT for example).

We used to shop at Tesco but have moved to ASDA and I'm sure that's helped save money. I also do shopping online as apart from hating supermarkets, it means I can see what the shopping is coming to as I go along and I can take stuff out/add bits more easily than being in a real shop! If I see things that we use/will need, I buy them in advance of needing them if they are on special offer.

That is a really good idea with the online shopping, that would also take away any impulse buy temptations as well I guess :biggrin:

Murf is 13 now, goodness where did the time go :( I will look into the food suggestions thank you :flowers: :flowers:

So so glad you have managed to keep Murf with you. When I was divorcing my old girl Sylvie was the only thing that kept me sane. To make ends meet I cleaned in a supermarket early morning before going onto my full time work and this can pay quite well. Also can highly recommend CSJ dog food which is way cheaper than some of the others.

Just wondered if your horse is a good doer or not, if so try feeding only good quality hay, he won't starve and it will save you a shed load of money on course mixes etc.

I know you probably feel like s... at the moment and scared witless but you have family and friends around who care about you, you are not alone so just take it one day at a time and all the advice that has been given before is absolutely spot on.

Good luck for the future - as the ad says "YOU ARE WORTH IT"

D

Also can highly recommend CSJ dog food which is way cheaper than some of the others.

I'll add my voice to the CSJ supporters :flowers: My oldie collie was on CSJ Champ (the cheapest ordinary one at £6 a sack) until he passed away at 15 and just needed gravy or hot water adding to it occasionally to smoosh it, but nutritionally it was fine for him :flowers:

If there is *anything* that you think of that we can do to help, please just post and I'm sure that somebody somewhere will be able to come up with something :flowers:

I found that paying in cash at the supermarket/shop really concentrated my mind on the things that I needed, rather than wanted. :rolleyes: I only drew out money that I could afford. Had homemade soups from the cheap/reduced veg. Jacket poatoes with a cheap filling. Again the reduced/end of lines came in handy.

Community care workers are always in demand. It's not always easy work,(easier if you have transport) but you can have the hours that suit you. Or perhaps there is a care home that is local to you on the look out for workers?

Hope that 2009 improves for you. Make sure that you put a little time aside for "you time". Doesn't have to be expensive. A nice soak in the bath is relaxing. :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Edited by greys mum

Just seen this Clare, you've got lots of advice and while it is daunting. You look after your happiness and be true to yourself.

I faced the same a couple of years ago and at the time had landed a big mortgage which has ultimately given me security and a home. Its great you can stay where you are, its a renters market these days and you maybe able to negotiate on rent if you speak to your landlord. I've been amazed by the number of rentals coming up around here, and people who were tenants who've moved to cheaper rents, so prices are comign down. I guess Berks is more expensive than here but should still go the same way.

Good luck finding a sharer, I shared for many years while at Uni it was great, had the rides of some wonderful horses. :GroupHug:

I think the biggest step is that you are able to accept the situation and not be afraid to ask for advice. Well done and good luck.

My dogs always have either tinned or cooked food at breakfast as I can then mix any meds in (none of them on any at the moment but in the past dogs have been) the rest of the time they just help themselves whenever they want to from a bowl of dried food. I have always used the cheapest bagged dog food - apart from when something is on special offer. Currently they are on the shop's own food for working dogs (no VAT) - and the three that are eating it are Toastie Terrier min age 12 and the Demolition Brothers aged 2 and appx 19 months. The only thing I have to look out for is to be sure the food is in small chunks as Toastie only has 3 teeth and if the lumps are big he just swallows them and makes himself ill. Have a read through the labels on the foods - compare the protein, carbohydrate etc % with what Murf is used to. If you do switch then mix in a bit at a time, increasing the amount of new food and reducing the old food daily(I have always just switched over when the old bag ran out but I know some dogs can get upset tums).

Thank you that is really really kind, I would love it if you are sure you don't need it, I will cover the postage :flowers:

No worries, I'd rather see it go to a good home. It plugs directly into the scart socket and has a little remote sensor that sits on top of the telly. The remote control can be a bit dodgy, but it works, and once you have it figured, it's fine!!!

If your 'you time' involves the internet, then before you make that part of your cut back, take a look at the packages on offer with phone, broadband and tv and mobile like bt vision and virgin offer. I confess that living alone, i would be bored rigid if i didnt have my internet to play with.

Have a look at de-cluttering your belongings and see if you have anything you could sell at a car boot, on ebay or such as an old mobile phone that companys now buy back.

shopping on line is a great idea as it really does stop you buying crap and bits that tempt you as you go round the shops. it also means you have to wait in forever for them to deliver which keeps you away from other shops and spending money :laugh:

As already said, if you need any other ideas or help then just ask. Refuge amazes me daily how everyone gets together to help each other with advice and practical help.

Glad you have a plan of action, even if it's going to be tough :GroupHug:

I buy the dog and rabbit food from a horse feed place and its a lot cheaper than the same thing through a pet shop or supermarket. Lily is an oldie and does well on Burgess Sensitive (its lamb and rice and easily digested and I pay about £17 for 15kg) but if you have a read of the ingredients on the bags of dog food for sale in your local horsey places hopefully you will find one that you and Murph like the sound of at a much reduced cost!

Sending you a :GroupHug:

I have my food delivered for 13.00 for a sack it is from trophy pets food.They have lots of other foods and delivery is free.

If you need a coffee any time I am in Thatcham.

Boswells in Newbury has free internet if this is near you.