UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fallacies

krusewalker

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shops do not have to charge the price on the ticket. If an item is priced incorrectly, they are well within their legal rights to charge the 'correct price' at the till. But most wont do this, due to company policy.[/size]

[bloody Tesco dont have a company policy about charging the advertised price tho. Their current Tesco direct catalogue has an oven priced at £397.99 but the actual price is £489 and that is what they'll charge no matter what the advertised price is. They refuse point blank to sell at the cheaper price and are within their rights to do so]

When a shop advertises an item in their shop or catalogue, it's actually an ITT (invitation to treat), which means they are inviting you to make an offer for that item. By taking your payment for that item, they are accepting your offer and completing the contract. So when you see a certain price on an item and it's incorrect, they do not have to sell it to you at that price, in fact they do not have to sell it to you at all.

More info and case law here :flowers:

The carrot thing is true, but at the time it was first promoted during WW2, the detailed scientific evidence quoted was not known. There was a huge glut of carrots and a shortage of most other things, there was a blackout on - go figure! :laugh:

It was an "old wives tale" from way back that carrots are good for sight. Some old wives' tales are rubbish e.g. if 3 women make a bed together they will get pregnant, but others are strangely accurate.

The fish thing is a similar one which predates the discoveries about omega 3 fatty acids.

My fallacies are "You get what you pay for." No you don't. You can pay 3K for a car and it turns out to have expensive things wrong with it, and you can pay £300 and get the best car you have ever had. And the other one is: "There is no such thing as a free lunch". Freecycle works on the principle that there are all sorts of freebies. I have given much, received much, and made some really good friends there. And on the literal free lunch side, I bet there are plenty of quite expensive free lunches in political and business circles, with some good wine as well :laugh:

My understanding is that the fish and carrot things are true only for people who don't have a balanced diet. If you aren't getting much vitamin A, then your eyes probably aren't working as effectively as they could be, and eating carrots (or other sources of Vitamin A) might help. But if you are already getting sufficient Vitamin A from other sources in your diet, you can eat as many carrots as you like, and it won't help you see any better.

Similar thing with fish. If your diet is lacking in various fatty acids, that might make your brain less efficient. If that's the case then you might be able to eat fish and see an improvement. But fish doesn't make you brainier if your diet is already supplying the basics you need.

Actually, there seems to be a rather nice fallacy right there: the idea that if someone who has a specific nutritional deficiency may be helped by eating a food, then people who don't have a deficiency should also eat it because it will cause them to improve as well. There have been a number of sadly uncritical news stories and public 'trials' based directly on that idea. http://www.badscience.net/2008/09/oh-hang-...fish-oil-trial/ has some interesting details on that sort of thing.

I heard that all ginger cats are male (along the lines of the colour being sex-linked like torties are all female). Is this true? Is there anyone out there with a female ginger cat?

Not true :) (sorry if that has already been answered :laugh: :flowers: ) my cat Sparks is ginger and white and a female, she had a litter (accidental obv) and had 4 boys (two ginger and white, one all ginger stripes and one ginger spots) and 2 girls (one ginger and white and one ginger stripes) so there are at least 3 female gingers I know of :laugh:

7 years bad luck if you break a mirror

bad luck if you walk under a ladder

saluting when you see a hearse will stop you from being the next to die

saying black cat quickly 3 times if you see a pure black cat will bring you luck

if you see a magpie on its own you should say "hello Mr Magpie,hows your wife" to stop bad luck

if you spill salt (bad luck) you should chuck some over your left shoulder to reverse the bad luck.

shoes on a table mean an arguement

crossed knives mean cross words

oooo theres loads round these parts !!!! :laugh:

Ah, thats put me in mind off

Lilac flowers shouldn't be brought inside......bad luck

it's also bad luck to open an umberella indoors

Actually, those are really superstitions rather than fallacies :wacko:

Scots are tight with their money, that really is a fallacy.......except in the case of my dad :rolleyes: where the saying "first out the taxi...last into the pub" is spookily accurate :laugh:

it's bad luck to cross on the stairs

it's back luck to put your shoes on the table

it's bad luck to cross on the stairs

it's back luck to put your shoes on the table

pearl engagement rings bring you bad luck

I seem to know all the bad luck ones :laugh:

Edited by mom2jesse