UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Please Send Positive Thoughts For Max

merledogs

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're home :biggrin:

Still waiting for more test results on his bone marrow from the pathology lab, which would normally take a couple of days but because of the break it will probably take longer.

However, what I can tell you is that yesterday the results of his blood tests showed lost of Reticulocytes in his blood, which means his bone marrow is working again and is producing red blood cells :pinkie:

His white cell count (the cells which fight infection) is now normal so he doesn't have to have antibiotics any more :biggrin:

He is still slightly anaemic, but his PCV (volume of red blood cells in his blood) is much better than it was. When he first got taken in nearly a month ago his PCV was 8. It should be between 37 and 55. Just before he had his second transfusion, it was up to 13. His PCV yesterday was 24.8. However, we can't tell how much of this is down to the transfused blood left in his body but because he reacted to the transfusion, his body may well have killed off all the transfused blood by now.

Also, because he is producing his own red blood cells, he won't need any more transfusions for the foreseeable future :pinkie:

When the bone marrow biopsy was examined under a microscope today, it had plenty of cells in it, whereas it was previously very fibrous. This confirms the blood test results :biggrin:

As I said, we are still awaiting the results of the pathology tests and if there is something in there which is attacking his bone marrow, then he will need drugs to treat it. There is also the possibility that whatever it is may just be in remission for a while and may come back, so I will need to keep a close eye on him.

So he's not out of the woods completely, but given that a month ago I didn't think he would still be with me at Christmas, I am delighted that he's got this far and that his bone marrow is working again. He has to go back in January for more blood tests to keep an eye on how he's doing, but that can be done at my own vets.

He seems once again to have the staff under his spell cos Aran said they all loved him :wub: He was so excited to see me as well when I picked him up :wub: He is still groggy from the GA so I've put the gas fire on for him so he can curl up in his favourite place in front of it :wub:

Edited by merledogs

Max is going to get loads of cuddles and kisses off his Fugee Aunties when he is a bit more awake after the GA :wub:

To think I gave him his special Christmas pressie 3 weeks ago because I didn't think he'd make it to Christmas day :mecry: :wub:

He is currently fast asleep in front of the fire :wub: I have plans for that bald tummy :devil: :wub:

IMG_6404.jpg

Baldy tummy is from ultrasound scan which didn't show anything nasty. He also had x-rays and apparently he has a rib missing from one side :wacko: