UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

I really miss Wally :sad02: The garden isn't the same without him. I keep finding myself doing a chick head count and panicing for a few moments because there are only 10 and there should be 11 and then I remember I don't have to count to 11 anymore :mecry: They've all got naughtier since he died too, he was their leader :sad02: The Little Chick boys aren't man enough to take on that role yet.

I hope he's ok wherever he is :sad02:

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm feeling better about it this morning, his photos that we got enlarged to put in frames have arrived. Emily will be thrilled to see them :wub: He was so handsome and I have to think of it in the way that he was lucky to live with us. He didn't want for anything in his 12 weeks, he couldn't have been more loved and he had the life that millions of other chickens don't ever get. Which in turn then re-affirms the decision I made never to buy chicken from a shop again. Wallys body went to waste because of his illness but his life wasn't a waste at all. The meat boys I've got here are lucky to be here and not in a factory.

Because I've been ill I cancelled tomorrows intended visit to the Domestic Fowl Trust where I was going to collect lots of fertile eggs and instead I've bought them on Ebay plus six excellent Buff Laced Wyandottes from a lady on another forum. There was a bit of confusion surrounding the Poland eggs and I didn't think they were coming so I bought some Lavender Araucana eggs late last night as a replacement. Only now the Poland eggs are coming :laugh: I've got too many eggs arriving now :rolleyes: I'm going to be manually turning forever :laugh: I'm paying the girls to do it for me while I'm at work this weekend :biggrin:

Oh and after nine months of hoovering up any chook poo he finds in the garden, Henry has now figured out that there is plenty more poo to be found in the chicken coop and the little sod keeps going in there :laugh: :sick01:

I'm going on a Kill, Pluck, Gut & Bone course. I'm just waiting to hear what date it'll be on, some of the Omlet ladies are arranging for the teacher, Alison, to hold the course at Cotswold Chickens near Banbury where I got my first chooks. I'm really looking forward to it, and as I was a vegetarian for 10 years I can't believe I'm saying that!

Course info

You're braver than me!I'd like to keep some chickens one day but I'm not sure I could kill one although I guess that does make me a bit of a hypocrite as I do eat meat! I was veggie for 6 years a while ago tho! OH is not at all sentimental and I'm sure would have no problems killing anything to eat it!

DSC03698.jpg

She says she's waiting for the eggs to hatch :laugh:

Turning them isn't so bad, it takes a minute or two and there is an art to it. I've got to teach the girls because they'll be doing it while I'm at work this weekend. I'll candle them for the first time next weekend to get rid of the clear eggs.

Poppy, one of the stable yard chooks looks a right mess, it's not normal moult, she has awful bare patches and some of her feathers looked stripped so she has a sort of quill effect. She's nearly naked underneath and very red, her wing tips are red and exposed. She's an ex batt and when she came she was oven ready so she wore a coat for the winter until she grew lovely feathers. She's wormed and debugged, the others look fine, it's just Poppy. Any ideas as to what's wrong?