UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help With Bolshy Westie

EAD

My friend rehomed a 3 year old male (un-neutered) westie called Murphy two weeks ago and over the last few days hes been a bit grumbly when asked or made do things he doesnt want to.

Examples of this are.....

Me moving him from kitchen when dinners being made....he growled while I was moving him and then proceeded to grumble when I told him off for growling :rolleyes:

Friend moving him front window in living room as he was woofing at every person that passed by :rolleyes:

When friends brother shooed him away from kitchen table as he was begging.

Also when friend was playing with Lily and her ball, Murphy then butted in and had a grumble at Lily and when told off by friend growled at him.

Now im not sure if hes just being vocal or if its a warning growl :unsure:

Now before people rush in and say about neutering him, hes booked into the vets on Wednesday for his 2nd vaccination and they will be arranging a date for his bits to be chopped off and also have a chat with behaviourist at vets.

Advice in the meantime would be good :flowers:

Ps.....other than these occasions he is a very happy little chappie and good with the other dogs.

I don't have any advice but he sounds exactly like my wagon westie.

She growls and snaps at anyone and anything that tries to move her or moves past her.

Westie's are not really known for being cuddly dogs and are more stubborn than a very stubborn thing.

People cross the road to get away from my boxer. I'd cross the road to get away from my westie :laugh:

I'd love to get some advice on this also. Misty had just gone 4 and is spayed

The plus in all of that is that he is still only grumbling despite being physically moved about and hasnt actually used his teeth yet. As its its a new home he is probably testing his boundries and firm but positive training done consistantly will be a must.

Agree with Mags though, they are often not a cuddly breed and can be wilfull. my groomers have the scars to back that up :laugh:

Something you could do in the meantime is have a short light lead attached at all times. That way when he has to be moved you can just pick the lead lead up and move him which avoids the physical 'handling'. I'd also be tending just to remove him with no 'telling off', no eye contact - just move him away from the situation and he may start to learn that all that grumbling gets is time on his own and the lack of fun/interaction.

:flowers:

I'm no westie expert but with any dog that is grumbling, ie giving warnings, I wouldnt reprimand them for it. At least he is giving a warning not just biting. And that last thing your friends wants to do is hinder building a good relationship with the dog. :flowers:

You could try breaking down the dogs feeds into smaller portions, using small allowances for the dogs training. ie if you want it to get off the sofa, show it the food, tell it 'off' and then reward with small amount of food. If the dog isnt eating a huge meal in the morning and therefore not hungry he will have no reason to do what is asked of him unless it wants to?

Just an idea? :)

It is still early days yet, 2 weeks isn't very long for him to know the house rules. I would have a short lead on him all the time there is someone there so he can be lead away from these places were there are problems then reward him for doing as he is told. It is far safer than trying to get him away without a lead on.

Neutering will only help if these problems are hormone bassed and I suspect these are more a case of a very spoilt dog and not hormones. I am probably wrong though. :laugh: Neutering won't calm him down quickly it will take time, time they haven't got.

I never tell my dogs off for growling, it is that dog telling me he doesn't agree with me, doesn't mean they get away with it though, in fact they don't. Joe's growls had been stopped before he came here, he bit first and didn't bother to ask questions. Joe isn't a big dog so no harm was done but if he had been a big dog, this biting would have been a lot more serious.

Training and management will bring this dog through this. I find that managing a dog and being very consistant with it also teachs them the behaviour I want.

Thanks for replying :)

Today he had a go at Kyla as she was looking attention from my friend when he was giving it to Murphy. He put him into the kitchen by himself without telling him off. Friends also going to ignore him briefly when he arrives home as thats when he gets so excited.

Tonight when I wanted them out of the kitchen I used treats and they all followed me into the dining room without confrontation.

• 2 weeks later...

My mum has a westie that i four years old. As a greyhound and lurcher owner Sam would surely do my head in if he lived with me full time as he yaps and like your dog is not backward in coming forward.

I know for a fact my mum is too soft with him and i think he could benefit from training. have you thought about taking him to dog training. i have just started taking my youngest lurcher to Tailwaggers. She has been mistreated and will back away from people so i am taking her to build her confidence as at home she gets her confidence from being one of 5 dogs. The club i am taking her only has 6 dogs in the class and they all have differetn problems so it might be worth having a go.

BTW Sam has also been snipped and he is still a stubborn so an so!!

My mum has a westie that i four years old. As a greyhound and lurcher owner Sam would surely do my head in if he lived with me full time as he yaps and like your dog is not backward in coming forward.

I know for a fact my mum is too soft with him and i think he could benefit from training. have you thought about taking him to dog training. i have just started taking my youngest lurcher to Tailwaggers. She has been mistreated and will back away from people so i am taking her to build her confidence as at home she gets her confidence from being one of 5 dogs. The club i am taking her only has 6 dogs in the class and they all have differetn problems so it might be worth having a go.

BTW Sam has also been snipped and he is still a stubborn so an so!!

ooooh- sorry to take this off topic - but hello! Which class do you go to? I train on Mondays with Tailwaggers and assist with a couple classes too :biggrin: