UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Do Your Dog Eat Berries?

Rileyroo

We went for a walk along the Thames at Walton yesterday, finishing we a great meal in The Weir (very dog friendly) pub.

There were loads of blackberries on the towpath, so we decided to use a spare (unused!) poo bag to pick a few. As I was picking berries I was aware of a small nose alongside my knee, and I looked down to find Riley helping herself to the choicest, blackest berries direct from the bush. :laugh: She had a very good technique for avoiding the prickles, and was a very good predictor of whether the berries on the bush were tasty or not, although we did have to limit her intake just in case of stomach problems.

I wish we'd had a camera with us - a couple walking past were killing themselves laughing at her.

:laugh: Mine certainly won't pick their own but they do enjoy them being fed to them. Kane is master of picking blackberries though, it's lovely to see a big horse delicately picking them off the bushes!!! He also is very good at grabbing wild plums and chewing them while out hacking...the best bit is seeing him spit out the stone!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Mollydog picks blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and if she can get away with it, grapes. Az thinks this is very odd behaviour and doesn't eat any of them, even if you pick them for him!

Last year I saw a fox picking blackberries, and a couple of years ago a fox cub came and ate all the grapes off the bottom of our grape vine.

i'm not sure which dogs are cleverer - the ones that help themselves, or the ones that get their human slaves to do it for them :laugh:

Riley ate all the mulberries off our bush last year, and I'm sure she's had a few of the blueberries this year too. She learned to shake the branches of the mulberry to make the ones from the top drop down for her - perhaps that's why it didn't produce any berries this year :laugh:

Ours will all eat berries but I'm not sure they've ever picked their own. Can you imagine turning up to a pick your own fruit farm with your dogs in tow? :laugh: Mine do eat fallen plums and apples in the garden. :laugh:

I had a trug of raw, unpeeled onions sitting in the livingroom for some reason. I just had to move them because Mollydog was *licking* them! What kind of dog licks raw onions....?

Has she been hypnotised recently? :unsure: I recall a stage hypnotist telling people the raw onions were apples and they really bit into and ate them as if they were. Raw onions = :sick01:

Has she been hypnotised recently? :unsure: I recall a stage hypnotist telling people the raw onions were apples and they really bit into and ate them as if they were. Raw onions = :sick01:

that has been banned now by the main body of hynotherapists so hopefully it wont be seen again. I have a friend who is a stage hypnotist and she gave me the list of all the things they are now advised against doing