UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Old Sam

Lozzie

Specially for Ange :flowers:

I met this old fella in Ireland back in June when I was collecting a couple of our other goldies.

oldsamme.jpg

He was 11 and had been given up because his owners were emigrating and wanted the best for him.... all sounded ok, until you laid your hands on him :angry: Under his thick matted coat was a bag of bones :mecry:

He broke my heart and I loved him the second I laid eyes on him but back at home I had Darcy who had suffered a number of strokes and at approx 16 needed and deserved all my time and attention so reluctantly I had to admit that both Sam and Darcy deserved better. Sam came into foster where he started to regain his weight and find love and attention again. The following month in July, Darcy left me and the thought of Sam did pass through my mind but Darcy was such a special special soul and the love of my life and I didn't know if I had the strength to give my heart to another old boy so soon and the pressure that would put on Sam so I put him to the back of my mind again.

Last week Sam still hadn't found his home and his fosterer was needed for another boy that wasn't good with other dogs for a week so I offered to have Sam here as he knew me. When I lost Darcy, over the first week white feathers started appearing.... angel feathers from my boy :wub: Within hours of Sam being here, 3 white feathers had appeared near him and I knew my boy had a plan, he had chosen him for me, Darcy always got his own way and this was no different :laughingsmiley:

Sam is as much of a delight now as he was when I first met him back in June, he's not Darcy and never will be, he doesn't need to..... he's Sam, MY Old Sam and just as precious in his own way and I love him :wub: Thankfully so does Martha my monster!!

He will be twelve in October, the same age Darcy was when he arrived, I just hope I have him as long. We have plenty of fun times ahead of us, he's a real character and home feels like home again with a stubborn old golden gent

My handsome boy

oldsam4.jpg

OldSam3.jpg

oldsam2.jpg

Lorraine

He is lovely and i know exactly how you feel. Alan will never be Milo but he also doesn't need to be as he is just my Alan. It is hard when you knw you won't have them as long but the time you do have will be the best time. It was meant to be :GroupHug:

Awww, thanks everyone :flowers:

He really is a darling and if it wasn't for the fact that I hold all the paperwork for the rescue and therefore have his pedigree I wouldn't believe he was 11, he's no plodder and still has plenty of life in him..... has spent all day today destroying toys.... unfortunately he also thought a cushion was a toy :laughingsmiley:

And yes he's a Goldie, but even for a goldie his greediness is impressive :laughingsmiley: For him to have been so thin when he arrived he must have been literally starved as he will eat absolutely anything.... edible or not!!

I love my stubborn old fool...... we will be having our reunion for the rescue in Sept and this year this is a special prize in the obedience classes in memory of my precious Darcy.... it will go to the most useless dog!! Darcy is the only dog in history to have been disqualified, his heelwork was great but his stay a little too great, a one minute stay turned into 15 mins with him refusing to budge and then sauntering out of the ring and back to the tent :wub_anim: I think it's best not to enter Sam as he will have Darcy's prize sewn up :laugh:

Lorraine