UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Do Your Dogs Like Hugs?

ReikiAnge

Well do they?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cromwell will come and sit facing me on my knee and put his front legs around my neck and have a full on proper hug!! He loves it (and so do I!!!)

The other 3 love to spoon in bed!! I don't send a night without one or 2 dogs under the duvet with my arms wrapped round them. All 4 of mine are very cuddlie dogs, they snuggle together, with the cats and with me....wouldn't want it anyother way!!! :biggrin: :wub:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's one of those things where the books tell you what dogs are supposed to do, not what they actually do! Like smiling: I have yet to come across a dog body language book that recognises it, but they definitely do it. The books often seem to be talking about dogs as if they were raised among dogs, but really, most dogs are really more like reverse Mowglis - born dogs, but brought up among humans. Assuming that environment plays a part, and further, that the dogs that fit into a human environment most successfully are those that are most likely to get to reproduce, a lot of cross-cultural stuff seems only to be expected...

I always wonder why it is that dog books never discuss human culture, only dog culture, and they assume that dog culture is international. I would have expected things like this to depend on how the dogs live with the people in each culture, and possibly vary by not just breed, but also local expectations by both dogs and people, of how dogs behave.

I've observed on American forums, for example, a presumption that a dog that is not on a lead, crated, or fenced in, is a dog that is bound to get into trouble and indeed is in danger - whereas here, I think, we have an expectation that dogs should be under control without necessarily being on a lead a lot of the time. Perhaps because our environment is just less dangerous and more domesticated - no snakes or crocodiles...

Though I suppose it sort of makes sense to be cautious about what you say in a book, particularly a training book. I mean, OK, some dogs like hugs, but some really don't - I don't think my dogs would be at all keen on them from someone that they didn't know really really well, though I know some dogs don't mind hugs from strangers. So I can see that it's something to be a bit wary of, given that it involves putting your hands out of the way and your face right next to the pointy teeth!

The idea that hugging is an exclusively primate thing I think is nonsense though. Closely bonded cats do a lot of hugging and wrestling and they often like to put their arms around your neck. It's just that most dogs front legs aren't really set up for it, I reckon.

Edited by cycas

My dalmatian loves stroking , cuddles and hugs, but he hates kisses.

When he was acting up at training class I would tell him I would give him a kiss ad he would freeze and sit still :laugh:

My retriever cross is not comfortable with hugs - they have to be very gentle or he feels trapped and struggles to get away.

My lot vary a lot, Kimba my dobie loves cuddles, he leans right into you and willprod you rather hard with his nose if he thinks you have stopped too soon.

Jasper (GSP) loves to lie on me and will stay there for hours, but doesn't like to be cuddled - too restrictive for him.

Maddie (Saluki) is a complete princess and very much demands attention and fuss on her terms, but will glare at you like dirt if you deign to disturb her any other time for fuss, she doesn't really do cuddles though, she is too restrained for that!!!

I haven't worked it out with Roi yet, only had him a week and he is still settling in with us all - but he certainly likes to lie as close to me as possible on the sofa!!!

I didn't know which way to vote :rolleyes:

Dolly loves hugs and will squish herself against me and won't move until I let go. I'll sit on the floor and she'll sit in front of me and I'll put my arms round her completely and she'll rest her head on my shoulder. Bumpy used to be the same and loved his hugs so much that he had a collar charm which said "Cuddle Me" on it :wub:

Sir H doesn't like hugs. From me. But he loves hugs from men and will snuggle up happily for hours. Just not with me :mecry: :laugh:

Wiggle, the foster dog, love hugs and will either go all silly and wriggly (sometimes he ends up being upsidedown :huh: ) and other times, if he's tired, he'll cuddle me and get his head under my chin and fall asleep :wub:

Wiggle, the foster dog, love hugs and will either go all silly and wriggly (sometimes he ends up being upsidedown :huh: ) and other times, if he's tired, he'll cuddle me and get his head under my chin and fall asleep :wub:

Is Wiggle a foster then :ohmy: :ohmy:

My lot love their snuggles and cuddles

Archie westie is a real daddys boy, Cliffy mini daxi is the boss dog but loves to be hugged too

Tessie westie is the only one that can jump up on the couch and thinks nothing

of scrambling over the boys to get to me for a big hug and snuggle down on my chest :biggrin:

Jeez, what is it with dogs when your on the pan ? :wacko: As soon as my two hear me in the bog they're both down there in a flash, quite often joined by Polly the cat :huh: , they even do it with visitors, we don't have a lock on the shunky door and guests get quite a shock when the doors slammed opened and a Staffie head pokes in :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Whoever said dogs don't like hugs has not met Troy - who also happens to always be first into the loo as well, closely followed by Monty, Mack and Rosie.

All my lot like hugs and come and get them; we have big group hugs sometimes when everyone has a squeeze.

Max is a real cuddle dog, he sits next to you and puts his head on your knee and will stay like that as long as you are hugging him.

Skye lies to lie on his back snuggled up to you and to have his head and nose kissed.

Wisp either puts her front paws on your lap and snuggles into your chest or, her favourite position, sits right next to you with her head under your chin and tucked into your neck. She also likes being kissed on her head and nose.

Flynn puts both paws on your lap and snuggles in.

It could be a breed thing as Skye, Wisp and Flynn are border collies and they are all happy to sit and look into your eyes while having a cuddle.

The minute you try and go to the loo there are 3 bcs all competing for attention and kisses and cuddles!

I am always kissing and cuddling the dogs, I love it, and they seem to really enjoy it as well.

Musky and Meg both adore being hugged, Meg climbs onto my lap then nudges my arm until I wrap my arms around her. Musky goes all silly and licky and waggy if you hug him :wub:

Taz and Jess like being hugged on the basis that any attention is good and definitely better than no attention, but they are just as happy being stroked or petted in some other way, it's the contact rather than particularly being hugged that they enjoy.

Timid little Sophie would fly across the room if anyone tried to hug her. Bless her she wants love so much but can't cope with anything but gentle contact. She is getting much braver about strokes and tummy tickles though :wub: