UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Where To Go Abroad On Holiday

Peachy

I went to Morocco a few years ago but after my run of holidays being so upset by sad animals I wouldn't leave the hotel grounds. I tell you, I'm a funny one :wacko:

I've found some lovely hotels in Naples, which looks wonderful. Half board, four star, coming in again at just over £1000. I'd much rather spend that money on experiencing Italy, especially if I'm less likely to hold myself hostage in the hotel :rolleyes:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend Chamonix in France. (You can fly to Geneva v cheap and then get a 50min transfer)

It is great both summer and winter. I have never seen anything horrid there. There are lots of dogs to fuss (all with owners). I've never seen a stray.

I read today that places like Bulgaria, Croatia and other short-haul countries that don't have the Euro are becomming more and more popular because of the poor exchange rate.

Things is at the moment everywhere is a bit mad - I'm just back from a tour of Eastern Europe and the Latvian Lat in particular has gone way up against the pound :err:

Poland is not a country where animals are thought much of unless they belong to someone - usually they just roam the streets.

What I think is so distressing is the complete lack of compassion for an injured animal lying in the road - you end up spending your holiday trying to get it help and or treatment and spend a lot of money doing so.

That wasn't my experience to be honest but I've only really done the south east of Poland.

I liked Morocco, there were some stray animals but they are allowed to live as strays rather than being rounded up and pts after 7 days like here - you can argue which is preferable.

It will still be nice and hot in September as well.

OH jeez Morocco made me ill with the monkeys and snakes and the working donkeys :rolleyes:

Check out Slovenia - borders Italy (was part of Italy for a long time) and Croatia and its absolutely stunning. Never saw one stray animal my whole tour. Also sun and see and lots of stunning places

Fee - I was going to Romania this year but I couldn't do it so I've compromised and agreed to do ROLDA working holiday next year. We did Ukraine and Moldova instead because someone told me there wasn't a stray problem - needless to say there was and I'm now contacting all these animal groups there offering help :rolleyes:

I understand where you are coming from, I'm the same, I have fed stray cats and dogs in Tunisia and Greece. One German lady took a suitcase full of food to feed them! I wouldn't got to Spain on principal. I have been to Denmark twice and no problems there, Austria and Germany should be fine too.

Peachy my sister used to live in Castellamare in Naples [her husband still does], they are really cruel to their animals, loads of stray dogs around there, in their eyes animals are either to work or to eat.

When oh was in the army we lived in Germany, they seem to be dog lovers, but they have a very large ban on certain dog breeds, and i'm 99% certain that staffies are now banned there, i know of several of oh's friends who were having to rehome their staffies when they got posted over to Germany.

I don't think you can generalise about any country. the UK allows horrific ( legal ) treatment of animals but its hidden in factory farms , equally every week we read stories of awful neglect and abuse of domestic animals

2 months ago Diane and I spent a week in Hungry with the Dogs Trust and a group of animal welfare workers from Greece and eastern Europe. They were every bit as dedicated as the rescue workers in the UK and they see the same types of things as we do here.

you will find good and bad where ever you go

I don't think you can generalise about any country. the UK allows horrific ( legal ) treatment of animals but its hidden in factory farms , equally every week we read stories of awful neglect and abuse of domestic animals

2 months ago Diane and I spent a week in Hungry with the Dogs Trust and a group of animal welfare workers from Greece and eastern Europe. They were every bit as dedicated as the rescue workers in the UK and they see the same types of things as we do here.

you will find good and bad where ever you go

I have to agree with HLGS, the only reason we don't have stray dogs wondering the streets is because we round them up and stick them in a kennel for 7 days before destroying them. Only the lucky ones that have people working for them move on to somewhere else. We also have some awful rescues, but we don't see the suffering because it's behind closed doors. As for cats, you only have to look at the work of the Celia Hammond trust to see the number of stray/feral cats we have in some places in the UK. I have to say that reading the work they do amazes me that they operate in the UK, but does highlight that maybe the UK isn't so far in attitude from other countries.

Strays are very visable in some countries, but is the alternative any better! In many of these countries that we deem to have "awful" attitudes to animals there are people working so hard to change the attitudes of the people in the country and would really appreciate any help. It might be worth investigating an area and seeing if there is a local animal rescue there before you go.

Oops sorry, Back to holidays though in Rome there were loads of stray cats in the Colosseum, but they did all look healthy. One thing to maybe think about is that cats the world over are not always the same size as the ones here! So a small skinny cat may actually be a normal size for the country. My little Maurtian babe was never going to win the size competition to the ones I have now!!

My friend lived in one of the channel islands and she said it was beautiful, so Gurnesey or Jersey would be options.

You don't see many strays in rural France, and the French generally love their dogs....but you'll find lots of dog poop in some of the large towns/cities. They also have a strange fascination with small dogs, like really small dogs...and when we there recently for a big bike race there was a lady walking round with a rucksack on which I thought would have her dog in it, it was actually her cat out for the day :biggrin: