UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Menopause

lazydaisy

I dont know if this subject has been discussed here before, but I would appreciate some advice. I have had a blood test and it confirms that it has started. I am surprised as I was 49 in June and thought it happened in your 50's. :unsure:

Kathyw has advised me to drink soya milk which I am doing to help reduce sweating at night. I would like to know if there is anything else I could take because I am still waking up in the night and find it difficult getting up in the morning. The doctor offered HRT, but I dont want to take that. I am vegitarian, have very little dairy products (even less now I use soya milk), I go to the gym 3/4 times a week, and walk my dog every day.

Thanks in advance. :flowers:

There are all kinds of herbal products including sage tea, black cohosh etc and also plant based oestrogens in the form of a cream absorbed through the skin. I suggest some research on the net or a visit to a medical herbalist.

A herbalist suggest Evening Primrose Oil and Black Cohosh. Still got the black Cohosh in the cupboard and the Evening Primrose Oil made me feel sick. So I've stuck with the sweats, worse of two evils really. I have read that if you take HRT you still get the menopause afterwards :wacko: anybody else.

Until it goes away, I send you my deepest sympathy :( :(

I was diagnosed as perimenopausal at around 47, which meant there were changes in the hormone levels showing I would start the menopause with the next couple of years, and my lady doctor started me on HRT then. I took it for around nine years, then stopped when all the fuss about the horses they used for my particular one was in the paper. I can honestly say that at no time did I have any menopausal symtoms, either during or after the HRT.

I have read that if you take HRT you still get the menopause afterwards :wacko: anybody else.

That is indeed the case.

Just seen suzeanna's post and will say it was in my case anyway.

Edited by owl

Look for Marilyn Glenville's book on the menopause / female hormones. It's excellent and gives a number of dietary / herbal / lifestyle suggestions. It's not a case of one size fits all - as everyone's hormone levels / body type etc is different.

Another good book is Understanding HRT and the Menopause, it's a "Which" guide. It has a lot of info about what is actually happening to your body and some info re non hormonal management. If you are going to use soya apparently you should use it like medication and always drink/eat it at the same time each day.

I've stuck with HRT (and don't intend to stop having it) because I found my symptoms unpleasant and difficult to cope with but it's not the same for everyone.

:GroupHug: for a new stage in your life.

very little of HRT is now made from mares urine, it is now mostly artificially made.HRT is not supposed to stop the menopause its supposed to just ease the symptoms.I found evening primrose oil helped me altho I had HRT for a while but had to come off it because of my cancer . I had a very very long menopause!! :( x

strongly suggest seeing a medical herbalist - you can find qualified practitioners from their national organisation

National Institute of Medical Herbalists (online directory etc)

There are many possible treatments to alleviate your symptoms but the bottom line is its better/quicker and potentially cheaper in the long run to have a consultation with a practitioner as they will be able to individually tailor your treatments. Herbalists are relatively cheap and much safer than going for a home made combination of supplements :)

your friendly researcher

Mog!

I take and have taken my soya at all different times of the day and no matter what time I take it I have no night sweats, if I miss a couple of days however, back come the sweats.

Try Horlicks just before you go to bed. Someone on here and to my shame I cannot remember who it was advised me to try it.

You do get a restful nights sleep.

While you are still waking in the night. try talking books. Just put the tape on and lay and listen, you will just drift off to sleep again.

Just wanted to offer you my sympathy. I went through the menopause at 44 and the sweats went on for what seemed like forever. I changed all my bedding to cotton and found that this helped. Was offered HRT but when I went to my local chemist he told me that I shouldn't be taking it, as at the time I was a smoker.

What puzzled me was that I still got PMT and did for quite a long time.

Worth doing a bit of research as help is more readily available now. I would imagine your healthy lifestyle will in itself be a great help.