UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Job Situation

ClazUK

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a terrible place to work for! If you can manage to get by for a while, I'd leave and look for something else...temp agencies are bound to have something better than this.

I know you only recently moved, but would work prospects be better up in Leeds?

When I read your first post I thought oooo I'll need to post about Aldi's, my mate was telling me about their wages ( her son is a manager with them ), I see as usual I was to slow others have beaten me to it. With so many of us mentioning them you should maybe think about them, I have been told that they're very good with their staff.

Terri

No airposts nearby (except a tiny light aircraft type one) but I have an Aldi less than a mile away. Might put a face on and take a stroll down there later.

Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to know I'm not alone in thinking I'm employed by an explotive company. I've just dropped this bombshell on Matt and even he's said "Go for it".

I think I might be sending my line manager an email in a bit.

I think you ought to get out but get another job first as it would look better on your employment history. What about temping with an agency just for now to get out then take some time with the temping being flexible to look for something else that more befits you - cause no way on god's earth is that job letting you use your brain or potential IMO

I dont think you should just walk out of your job untill you have definate arrangements for another one. It doesnt look good to a future employer no matter how bad you say the conditions are. Take a few days off and go job hunting, or as already suggested, cut your shifts down and use the time to find a job you want to do.

I suspect that publishing your loo breaks like that is illegal!

If you can bear to hang on and job hunt then it'll look better on your CV, but I wouldn't worry too much about that if you can get good references elsewhere. You can say, and its perfectly reasonable(true, even), that you only took the job as a stop-gap while you were sorting out your life post-breakup.

I like having lodgers - or rather sharers. But I may be peculiar...

Unless you have good references from somewhere else I'd say stick it out until you find something new. Or at the very least give notice

now and leave on good terms rather than just jacking it in.

If you do just decide to not go back in the morning then you'll most likely end up wiping it off your CV.

Found this on the Aldi site...

Store Assistant: FAQs

When are Aldi recruiting for Store Assistants?

We are always on the lookout for new recruits. Your local Store Manager will have more details on local vacancies.

What educational standard must I have to apply?

We don’t set a minimum standard. A friendly personality and an ability to handle numbers are most important.

What else will help my application?

You’ll need to demonstrate an ability to be flexible, handle hard, physical work as well as provide evidence of your ability to deal well with people.

What will the training involve?

We’ll create a training programme that suits you but will last about 6 weeks. Experienced colleagues will take you in hand and show you how to perform as a Store Assistant showing you all the tasks that the job involves. Till work, stock replenishment, Store cleaning, customer service, and health and safety will all be covered in detail. Both the Store Manager and experienced Store Assistants will help you through the training and your Area Manager will be closely involved in ensuring that we are giving you all that you need.

Where will I be trained?

In your local Store.

How will I be monitored and assessed?

You will receive constant feedback on your performance throughout the training from your Store Manager and Area Manager whilst having plenty of opportunity to give your own thoughts on your own development.

Will I need my own transport?

It is important to be able to get to the local store by your own means of transport as travelling by public transport may not always be convenient. The flexibility to be able to cover in other local stores is always a help.

Why do we pay our Staff so well?

We believe that our Store Assistants are the best in the retail business. The job involves much more than most shop work as our teams are small. Our Store Assistants do everything in the Store, work harder and faster than most, are flexible with their shifts and expect to use their own initiative day in day out. We think that our Store Assistants are worth every penny. And by the way, there are no hidden charges that reduce your pay to more ‘normal’ rates. We pay more because our Store Assistants deliver more.

How many staff work in each Store?

Our Stores are staffed by small, close teams. Depending on the Store, you can expect to work with between four and ten staff.

What hours will I work?

We guarantee our Store Assistants 15 to 30 hours a week depending on the type of part-time contract that suits you and the Store. The Store Manager is responsible for drawing up the Store rota so your work patterns and days off will reflect the Manager’s needs for the Store. Whilst we expect flexibility from you, we are able to accommodate the needs of our staff as well.

How do I apply?

Visit your local Aldi store and ask the store manager for an application form.

I would look for another job first too. Must admit, it sounds bloody awful :( I thought I had it bad with no internet access, but at £10 an hour and the freedom to take long lunches to see to the dogs etc, I've got it made.

I wouldn't be keen on a lodger, but I value my privacy too much. This is *my* house :laugh:

Unless you have good references from somewhere else I'd say stick it out until you find something new. Or at the very least give notice now and leave on good terms rather than just jacking it in.

Having been self employed for 7 years, it's hard to get references. The last company I worked for closed their UK operations, the one before has had massive staff changes in 3 take-overs. Personal references I *can* do, though.

If you get lodger(s) how will you feel at weekends when yours and Matt's peace is ruined by someone else being there?

I know. That's a big consideration. That and finding dog-savvy people.

If you get lodger(s) how will you feel at weekends when yours and Matt's peace is ruined by someone else being there?

And how will your lodger/s feel when the *show home* turns into a student hovel at the weekends :laugh: My lodger was lovely and her cat was too :wub: We still keep in touch 18 years later :)