UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Job Situation

ClazUK

I think I would hand in my notice and then be off sick for much of that. Normally I would not advocate pretending to be sick, but they treat you with contempt, so perhaps don't deserve any honesty. I would definatly write a letter to their head office/parent company outlining why their company is so dismal to work for. Once you've handed in your notice, there will be light at the end of the tunnel, so the time will go more quickly... I think :ph34r_anim:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they owe you no money at all I would call in sick, if I were you, rather than just disappear.

I have a nasty suspicious mind.

Ditto here, what with the ten and a half hours they owe you etc, then calling in sick is probably the better option.

Do you have a contract of employment?

That would include how much notice you have to give.

If you are required to give one month's notice and don't, you may have problems getting any pay due to you.

if you are required to give notice and thats in writing ( contract of employment ) then it's highly likely that they will withhold pay if you don't terminate your employment officially

they can also ( and companies do ) charge you for missing door swipes / ID ( not sure if you have any )

I would be inclined to try and negotiate a reduced notice period

if you don't have a contract of employment then give them written notice ( a week ) and get them to provide you in writing details of how and when your final salary will be paid

How long have you worked there Claz?

Usually you have a probation period that means you only have to give minimum notice.

I'm two weeks outside of my probation, sadly.

I think I'm going to speak to my line managers boss in the morning. If he says it's a definate no I'll work until payday (28th) and then develop a serious lurgy after.

Have you had something in writing to say you have passed your probation period?

:wub: I think you may have found the loophole. No, I haven't.

I've found the copy of my contract that I had 'filed' away with all my job seeking gubbins from early this year.

It says my job offer is subject to me providing 2 references - I haven't cos my last job my boss was me, the one before have closed their UK concerns.

It also says:

You will be required to complete a three month probationary period at the beginning of your employment. If, at any period during this time, either party wishes to terminate the contract one week's written notice must be provided. The company reserve the right to extend this probationary period should this be required.

Should either party wish to terminate the employment contact after the successful completion of the probationary period, 4 weeks notice in writing must be provided.

Given they have never confirmed I have successfully completed my probationary period, could I insist I was still on probation and therefore entitled to give only one weeks leave?

Yup you can! I've done that one before (which is why I asked the question :laugh: ), just word your resignation along the lines of.......as I am still under probation, having not received written notification that I have passed my probation period, I am giving you the required one weeks notice in accordance with my contract..............nah nah nah feck off :cool:

Edited by chickentikka

Hasn't it been discussed on another thread that notice isn't enforceable?

When I had to work 10 weeks notice and Ceri wouldn't settle in nursery I told my employers that I would work the ten weeks going in for half a day only - what could they do? sack me? They weren't happy but they didn't argue and I did exactly as I said I would.

:wub: I think you may have found the loophole. No, I haven't.

I've found the copy of my contract that I had 'filed' away with all my job seeking gubbins from early this year.

It says my job offer is subject to me providing 2 references - I haven't cos my last job my boss was me, the one before have closed their UK concerns.

It also says:

Given they have never confirmed I have successfully completed my probationary period, could I insist I was still on probation and therefore entitled to give only one weeks leave?

Yup you can! I've done that one before (which is why I asked the question :laugh: ), just word your resignation along the lines of.......as I am still under probation, having not received written notification that I have passed my probation period, I am giving you the required one weeks notice in accordance with my contract..............nah nah nah feck off :cool:

That might work :flowers:

Notice is not legally enforceable, as mooandboo has said :) remember BillyMalc's thread?

Notice is not legally enforceable, as mooandboo has said :) remember BillyMalc's thread?

I didn't know that. I don't get time to read all the freds at the moment (sorry Billy) :( No internet access at work amongst all the other stuff.

I've just chucked this together - sound ok?

Dear xxxx

I’m obviously disappointed the ToiletRationingJunta feel unable to let me have the unpaid leave I requested yesterday. I’m under considerable pressure to provide supporting roles to both a sick friend and an elderly parent at the moment and want to spend time with both.

Having considered my options carefully I’m afraid I feel there is no alternative other than to tender my resignation.

The following is quoted from the contract I signed on 18th March 2008:

You will be required to complete a three month probationary period at the beginning of your employment. If, at any period during this time, either party wishes to terminate the contract one week's written notice must be provided. The company reserves the right to extend this probationary period should this be required.

Should either party wish to terminate the employment contact after the successful completion of the probationary period, 4 weeks notice in writing must be provided.

Having not received any notification that I have passed my probation period, I am giving you the required one weeks notice in accordance with my contract.

Yours sincerely,

yadda yadda