UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Billy's Coughing

billydog

I'm a bit worried about Billy - not majorly, but concerned.

Last night at agility he started coughing and wretching as if he had something in his throat. Thought he'd probably just had a bit of sausage go down the wrong way so wasn't concerned. Today on our lunchtime walk he was doing it again, and has had a couple of little bouts of coughing and funny breathing since.

Any ideas as to what it might be? Anything I can give him?

certainly sounds like kennel cough.

children's non drowsy Benelyn can help with the cough if it becomes troublesome.

Liquorice water also helps.

Liquorice Root which you can get in any health shop and Honey

Stick 2 pieces of Liquorice Root in a mug and pour on boiling water.

Leave for 10 mins. The water will turn yellow.

Take the liquorice Root out and leave to dry out, you can use it again.

Add honey to the liquid and stir well.

Give to the dog warm.

about 4 times a day.

:( Aw pants. Was hoping nobody would say that, but had a feeling it might be. Feel really bad about taking him to agility last night but he'd shown no signs until we got there.

:flowers: Merleyone and black magic

Edited by billydog

Hope you get rid of the kennel cough ASAP. When we got Morgan, he started with it, but the Dogs Trust vet said there was nothing wrong. Than all my other dogs caught it and there was green snot all over YUK

any time we get an outbreak here, at least one of my own dogs will end up with it. Ive not been to the vets yet with any of them as KC is viral and anti biotics will only help should it go bacterial. As long as the dog is happy, bouncy eating well and pooing solid there is little more that can be done bar making it comfy for the dog. Honey, benylin for kids, boiled liquorice root all work well in this instance.

you should be aware tho, that your dog will be infectious to others for 6 weeks after the cough has cleared up so agility will have to go on hold for a while, to protect all the other agility dogs.

Thanks for the response folks :flowers:

I've just had Billy at the vets as I really needed to know if it was KC. Good news is his temp is normal and his glands aren't up and his appetitie is normal. He does have a bit of a cough and a rattly chest though so vet is not sure if it's KC or not. I've let my agility class know what the situation is. At the moment my other dog Finn is fine, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him and on Billy to see how they go.

Lots of not KC thoughts would be hugely appreciated!! :flowers:

Done a search, and the general view is that it can be infectious for up to 3 months! I suppose that is the top limit. That has completely scuppered all my plans for June and July, and for various reasons means that I can't make any decision on where to move to until after that. Oh well, will have to stay at home and declutter and pack, and be darned glad that we have so much exercise space here. Hope Billy feels better soon.

6 weeks, Helly? I was always told it was 3.

Polly has developed it this morning, not surprising as there is a lot around here. Hope Wispa doesn't get it.

Poor Polly :GroupHug: Hope Wispa stays clear and Polly isn't badly affected. Sorry that you've had to change your plans.

Lots of not KC thoughts would be hugely appreciated!! :flowers:

Coming Billy's way! :GroupHug:

Polly has developed it this morning, not surprising as there is a lot around here. Hope Wispa doesn't get it.

I'm sorry to hear that Phebe :GroupHug:

I can't offer any advice as KC isn't something I have any experience of but I do hope that Billy and Polly recover quickly.

6 weeks is the advice my vets always give out for a dog most likely to pass it on. Obviously i get dogs in and out all the time who may have had it 3 months ago and still technically shed the virus and spread it, but to me 6 weeks is usually enough to know your dog is in the clear.

I used to panic about it a lot more than i do now. Its really nothing to panic about and more often than not, the dog coughs for about a week and yaks up a bit of froth for a few days. Appetite and Poo are the 2 things to watch and as long as they both carry on normal i dont think its worth getting in a tizz over. coughs happen now and again.