UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Your Opinions Please

elricc

I am thinking of running this scheme to benefit as many rescues as possible.

Sponsor 10 collars for a rescue ( I would have some discretion here as they would have to be *known* by me etc), handmade by me, silk , quality fittings and fabrics; plus a collar if you want one for your own dog. These collars would be for rescues to use for fundraising, in whatever way they see fit.

I am thinking of £40, this would pay for all materials and postage to the rescue.

What do people think, would this be workable?

This came about because a lovely lady offered to cover my costs for a non-payer.

Also, I think I have sent out over 60 collars to rescue over the last few weeks and I can't keep up with all the costs.

Found your thread Laura

Think its a wonderful idea, I know the quality of your collars, a; after owning two for my own dogs and b; being part of a rescue who has recieved some to raise funds with

It has worried me that the cost must be getting very large for you now as your popularity and reputation grows and although the rescues benefit from your collar sales you are the one thats also donates a large part by not at least covering the cost of materials first :flowers:

I think it could work very well Laura. :)

I know you have personal reservations about that so can I also say that I don't think you should ever feel bad / reluctant about asking any rescue to cover the costs of your materials themselves if necessary. Each will still sell those collars, make a profit and appreciate the support you've given.

It's inevitable that as your fame and numbers are growing you can't keep giving them all away for free Thankyou also for your recent support for Oldies Club :flowers:

I need to go do something else so I'll explain why I asked my question.

I think it's a good idea but most people haven't got £40 so you could miss out on potential sponsorship there. I'm assuming you did mean that people could sponsor how ever much they liked and once you have the £40 you can then send the collars to rescue. It would take some managing as individuals would want to give money for certain rescues and not necessarily those of your choosing.

So I guess you would need to be pretty clear on what you're offering. I don't know maybe give a list of rescues you are intending to send collars to and say that monies received in would be helping towards those rescues receiving collars. Not a particular one as such. Then you can merrily keep making collars and sending them to the rescues of your choice as you have done previously.

Obviously you're not accountable to anyone and don't need to say where every £40 is being spent but it's nice for people to know where the collars are going.

Hope this makes sense cos I'm not very with it at the moment.

Devil's advocate time.

Would some rescues not prefer the £40 direct to pay for emergency boarding/vets fees and the like?

It's a good idea Laura but if I was running a rescue I think I'd prefer the money but that's just my opinion :flowers:

Devil's advocate time.

Would some rescues not prefer the £40 direct to pay for emergency boarding/vets fees and the like?

It's a good idea Laura but if I was running a rescue I think I'd prefer the money but that's just my opinion :flowers:

I think the idea is that the rescues could sell the collars to raise funds. :unsure:

The £40 would cover the cost of the postage and materials, then the collars would be worth a lot more to sell than £4.00 each. Thereby allowing the rescue to raise more money.

Sorry if thats wrong, but thats how I read it. :)

I think its a lovely idea :flowers:

Yes, I think it would work for rescues who have good access to the internet to sell them on or have a stall at a fair coming up. I think it's a great idea :flowers: . Maybe you could offer 5 collars to a rescue for £20, then the 10 for £40 and free collar as an incentive.

I'm sad that you've had people not paying when you are making such fantastic collars to order.

Edited by Karen

Or how about adding to the price of every collar you make privately and then that money could pay for the collars sent to rescue.

I still want to sponser ten collars but thought the above might be an alternative.

Or you could list the rescues say 10 Collars for the Oldies on one thread - 10 collars for RDR on another thread and members could go into that thread and pledge their donation.

When a particular thread/rescue had been pledged £40.00 the thread is closed and collars sent off.

People would pick their fav rescues and some rescues would not do so well but it might work. Perhaps once a rescue has their collars, they do not have another collar thread until the other rescues have caught up.

people can then pledge a £1.00 or maybe of they have a fiver spare they could spread it between the rescues?

Dog Rescue Lover - I read it that way too.

Edited by Kathyw

For me £40 would be a lot to pay out to a rescue in one go. I would personally prefer to have a choice of rescues (your choice of course) who I could choose to donate one or two collars to for a set amount which would cover the postage and your expenses (fabric, etc) and a bit extra on top to cover paypal fees :flowers:

I do understand about £40 being a lot of money, si I would be happy for £20 for 5 or people clubing together from the rescue etc or one collar at a time. I am flexible.

Collars sell for more than that easily, I have had many many people telling me I am too cheap, but I am happy that I am making some money for rescues etc. I did try money going to me when people buy collars and I use that for materials, and I will be happy to continue that but if I am not selling a lot then I would still like to benefit rescues.

So people generally would be happy to sponsor.

Just to let you know who in excess of 10 collars and some leads have gone to so far

Pro Galgo

Dog star

Greyhounds4U

RDR

Oldies Club

WAW

Sighthounds Online

Sighthoundwelfare Trust

Hope

Greyhound Gap

Poplar Farm

Local rescues to me

Trail hound Trust (sending tommorow)

EGAR

I think I may have forgot some

Money has also gone to some of the above rescues from collar sales via here and other boards.

Also will be sending some to other rescues soon.