UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vet Says We Are Helping To Kill Our Animals.

Kathyw

Personally i think that people who use alternative treatment, are more likely to put more effort into researching it than they would with a vet prescribed drug, and a lot of conventional drugs are derived from natural sources.

I believe that both types have a place of equal importance, one may work where the other failed, and what works for one may not work for another, and if your very lucky you get the time to try.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it contains alcohol, but when you are just using a few drops, I find it hard to believe that it would be the alcohol causing the benefits.

See, my thinking is, OK it only contains a tiny quantity of alcohol, but it still contains a lot more alcohol than it does anything else. The quantity of alcohol needed to affect a small animal such as a dog which is not used to any alcohol at all, won't be very great, and it just seems more likely that a droplet of alcohol is having an impact than that a much smaller minute tiny smearlet of clematis extract is...? Though I'm not saying the clematis doens't make the alcohol more effective in some way, other drinks seem to work like that too!

I can't speak from personal experience, mind, but my sister used to give RR to her horses during thunderstorms, after noticing the ingredients, she tried substituting a similar quantity and dilution of vodka, and felt this offered similar results.

Personally i think that people who use alternative treatment, are more likely to put more effort into researching it than they would with a vet prescribed drug, and a lot of conventional drugs are derived from natural sources.

I believe that both types have a place of equal importance, one may work where the other failed, and what works for one may not work for another, and if your very lucky you get the time to try.

I think this is very true, but I also think it's important that people realise that whatever you are giving them, you really need to look into it thoroughly, try one thing at a time, and be really alert for side-effects.

It just seems like whatever you are using, you cannot rely on the people selling it to you (whether that's a vet, or a therapist or a website or whatever) to give you the full picture or help you make the right decision.

I think this is very true, but I also think it's important that people realise that whatever you are giving them, you really need to look into it thoroughly, try one thing at a time, and be really alert for side-effects.

It just seems like whatever you are using, you cannot rely on the people selling it to you (whether that's a vet, or a therapist or a website or whatever) to give you the full picture or help you make the right decision.

I do find our holistic vet much more happy discuss why he is recommending something and not look at me strangely for asking certain questions - and I trust his answer more too :laugh:

Also he has recommended products in the past which I have then gone and bought from our usual vet or bought online (at his suggestion) because it's cheaper than he would sell it, so that's not a decision he is making in his financial interest. Although of course he gets paid well for seeing us in the first place :wink:

We all have our own ways of doing things and while there are people who will blindly buy whatever "alternative/complementary" remedy is recommended to them, I would say at least an equal number will use conventionally prescribed products without questionning them. I used to do this for myself with GPs but from rather unfortunate experience learned not to.

Yes, it should be a case of- collect all the info, research it and make an informed choice from there.

After all, magic mushrooms and cannabis are 'herbal' / 'natural' :laugh:

Just as people do. :rolleyes:

re RR Do you have an OH? if yes - then how do you avoid losing it at least once in a while? Or do tell stories about your sister, I still giggle whenever I think about that post re swimming. :laugh:

Recently I have lost trust in many things I once totally believed in, I have also gone back to totally trusting my own instincts as they have never let me down and it's proving the right way to go. :rolleyes:

And whether it be my animals or people that's they way forward for me.

I have just cut up some beef jerky to mix in with some stuff that the dogs do not like but will eat if the jerky smell is on it. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I know that dogs would eat lungs in the wild but how on earth would they get them dried first? So can they be bad for them?

Mine only have a small amount and they love it so much that I would be loathe to refuse them as I often eat stuff that is bad for me but I enjoy - little and often gives pleasure and cannot hurt that much -or can it?

So many questions.

I need to speak to my 'mine of information' as I need her help yet again. :)

Please keep giving info on what you use on your animals and what you feed them because we can all decide for ourselves which to take on board and which to ignore but if we don't get the links/info in the first place - we cannot know what choices we really have. :) :flowers:

Agree with Lainey. We used a vet in Cheriton whenever we were down at the caravan for a few years and then I took Beniben - he had been stung quite badly by a bee. It came out in the conversation that I uswed homeopathy on Beniben for fleas as he had a bad reaction the conventional stuff. I was expecting to get the normal tut tut response. Instead he opened a large cupboard full of homeopathic meds. he told me that he used it alongside conventional meds. He said he found that homeopathy often worked when conventional meds did not. He was trained and said that just like conventional vet treatment, it was ongoing. I asked why he hadn't told us that or why he didn't have it advertised anywhere, he said because many people would think I was a quack. :wacko:

My vet in London doesn't do 'alternative' he did have a vet who did acupuncture but that is rare as he leans more to the scientific side of vet medicine. So I use Ainsworths for homeopathy and if I need something else I know where to get to get info on it.

Edited by Kathyw

Please keep giving info on what you use on your animals and what you feed them because we can all decide for ourselves which to take on board and which to ignore but if we don't get the links/info in the first place - we cannot know what choices we really have. :) :flowers:

Absolutely!!! I'm a great one for sucking information from where/who ever I can. I'm certainly no sheep and I will always do what I think is right for my animals (and myself) but I like to know I've covered all the options and researched into every single alternative before I decide what is right. I feed my dogs raw but I don't follow BARF, all 4 of my dogs are in wonderful condition (age and blood disorder aside) and are active, happy and all love their food so I can't see the wrong in that. I certainly wouldn't ever frown on anyone else's views but for me it's the best option all round (financially as well...cos no matter what that is a consideration as a multi-animal owning person).

Just as people do. :rolleyes:

re RR Do you have an OH? if yes - then how do you avoid losing it at least once in a while? Or do tell stories about your sister, I still giggle whenever I think about that post re swimming. :laugh:

I have told you about her boozy horses, what more do you want! :laugh:

Yes, I do have an OH, and we do row sometimes (, on one occasion, I threw a full jar of blackberry jam at him which exploded all over the cream carpet. ) but it tends to go yelling-> giggles rather than yelling-> silent fury - at least, so far.

However, I have made a mental note in case this is something we can look forward to in future. If spraying the RR doesn't work, I can always throw it at him. :laugh:

We all have our own ways of doing things and while there are people who will blindly buy whatever "alternative/complementary" remedy is recommended to them, I would say at least an equal number will use conventionally prescribed products without questionning them. I used to do this for myself with GPs but from rather unfortunate experience learned not to.

Oh definitely. I trust my vet about as far as I can throw him. Maybe not even that far, he's a thin bloke.

:flowers: Jackysain --- going to try that when Josh is fully better.

Totally agree with the other posts about care being needed when giving different herbs and it makes sense to do as much research as possible. I think what it comes down to is the owner making an informed choice. For too long we have been brainwashed by petfood manufacterers into believing they know best and its very apparent that dogs are getting cancer etc at a much earlier age and the life span of dogs is decreasing, what used to be 14-15 now seems to be 9-11 and those years are so precious to us arnt they.

:flowers: Jackysain --- going to try that when Josh is fully better.

For too long we have been brainwashed by petfood manufacterers into believing they know best and its very apparent that dogs are getting cancer etc at a much earlier age and the life span of dogs is decreasing, what used to be 14-15 now seems to be 9-11 and those years are so precious to us arnt they.

That is so true

My baby girl had only just turned 5 when she developed leukaemia. She started off by one day appearing to have slightly less bouncy energy and was dead in under 3 weeks, we only had a firm diagnosis a few days before she died- She was fed on commercial dog food, and she had underactive thyroid- It will be 1 year ago next week since we lost her

Duchess modelling her hoody. (She wore this at night as she couldnt get herself warm)

duchess003.jpg

For too long we have been brainwashed by petfood manufacterers into believing they know best and its very apparent that dogs are getting cancer etc at a much earlier age and the life span of dogs is decreasing, what used to be 14-15 now seems to be 9-11 and those years are so precious to us arnt they.

I'm not entirely sure this is true. My memories of childhood are that dogs were considered old at around 9 and ancient at 10-11. There were notable exceptions, of course.

Nowadays it seems not at all unusual for dogs to be active well into their teens. If the incidence of cancer in dogs has increased perhaps it's actually because they are living longer?

Haven't read the article as as soon as I saw it I knew what it was. Another scam type thing where they reel you in with how it is essential you know about the topic in question, about how there is fascinating and miraculous information to come..........ONLY if you buy the book.

There was one once about how to *cure* cushings disease, load of bumf just like in this one but you could only find out the *cure* if you bought the book. Now, fact is that there is NO cure to Cushings other than possibly adrenalectomy which replaces cushings with addisons. It's just a very good way of getting you to part with your money. If it was serious then they would publish in a journal or freely give out the information. Please do not be taken in by it.

Topics in this actual thread are brill though, although sad.

Perhaps you should read the article then.

Yes at the end he is trying to sell a book I said that in the original post. It's the info before that that is important and you don't need to buy the book to gain info on the dangers that are there.

Many of them have been discussed on this forum over time and members here do not debate nonsense.

I don't think there is one person on this forum who would consider buying the book but members have posted their views and their knowledge - sharing it with others.

As everyone has said - we all read what is posted and use the bits we think are applicable/right for our own animals.

Also he doesn't claim to have the cure, just to give advise about diet etc. We have no need of that on here as we have members and what they don't know between them aint worth knowing. Just look at the info given on this thread so far.

Edited by Kathyw

I'm not entirely sure this is true. My memories of childhood are that dogs were considered old at around 9 and ancient at 10-11. There were notable exceptions, of course.

Nowadays it seems not at all unusual for dogs to be active well into their teens. If the incidence of cancer in dogs has increased perhaps it's actually because they are living longer?

Maybe your childhood was longer ago than ours :hehehmn:

Sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin: Seriously though, do dogs actually live longer now? For some reason I seem to recall dogs when I was a child living long lives (way older than 10-11) but I have no idea if that's true in reality. Anyone know?

Perhaps you should read the article then.

Yes at the end he is trying to sell a book I said that in the original post. It's the info before that that is important and you don't need to buy the book to gain info on the dangers that are there.

Many of them have been discussed on this forum over time and members here do not debate nonsense.

I don't think there is one person on this forum who would consider buying the book but members have posted their views and their knowledge - sharing it with others.

As everyone has said - we all read what is posted and use the bits we think are applicable/right for our own animals.

Also he doesn't claim to have the cure, just to give advise about diet etc. We have no need of that on here as we have members and what they don't know between them aint worth knowing. Just look at the info given on this thread so far.

Exactly what I meant by the thread itself being brilliant Kathy :flowers:

Seriously though, these e-books take the same format and the sites are done to sell the product. As a question raiser great, but to take that source of information seriously beyond discussing as this thread is doing, is what I was warning about.