UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Digby The Ditch Dog

Melp

Most of you know that we adopted Digby after saying we'd never have another oldie :rolleyes:

Until recently he's been doing very well and giving us no cause for concern, however the last couple of weeks he's gone downhill.

He's been partially sighted and deaf [Helly and I disagree on this, I think he's totally deaf she thinksit's selective deafness]

I beleive he's becoming or has become senile :( he's now faecally incontinent though I think it's because he's confused rather than a medical problem, his back end keeps letting him down [he did this at Hellys too but now it's very regular] and his behaviour is odd.

He walks into corners and barks for no apparant reason and he appears generally confused about where he is, who we are and who the dogs are.

He's never once shown any aggression whatsoever to humans or animals but he had a pop at Dennis for no obvious reason I could fathom. It's like he's meeting everyone for the first time, us and the dogs, a bit like people with dementia do.

When you feed him he forgets he's eating, wanders off then comes to you looking for food. If you show him back to his bowl it's as if it's the first time he's seen it despite having eaten half :wacko:

I can cope with poo [done it often enough before] but I'm struggling with the confusion because it seems hard for him. Added to that I've just noticed a really nasty looking lump just under his tail. Its veiny and irregular and certainly hasn't been there for long. I have no idea what it is and it could well be nothing to worry about but it looks hideous.

Tomorrow he's going to the vets [with Foodog whose havinga check up] we'll be guided by what the vet says but in all honesty I'm not sure he'll be coming home. :mecry:

I've spoken to Pingu and we agree that leaving with dignity is better than keeping him going and him going further and further downhill but it's so hard.

I don't really know why I'm saying all this now when the vet might say he's fine, the lump is nothing and we can treat whatever is causing the confusion/incontinence etc. I just needed to say something because I'm struggling and it's been a horrid week with Foo as well :mecry:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: Just catching up and I am really sorry to hear this. Digby might have dementia which although can't be healed, can be slowed down and common medication is Vivitonin and in Snatch's case Selgian.

I really hope there is something you can do for this old fella as deep down I believe he was meant to find you to spend the rest of his days with you. :)

Thinking of you all :GroupHug:

Cindy

Oh Mel :( Aside from the lump, those symptoms sound exactly the same as those Bear was displaying for the last 6 weeks or so before we left Wales so I really do know how hopeless you feel :GroupHug: :mecry:

You've been Digby's guardian angel so far and I have no doubt that you'll put his needs first now, no matter what that means :GroupHug:

Still hoping that the vet has a miracle to offer you though :flowers: