UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Much Does It Cost To Run A Tumble Dryer?

laura g

Reading the under floor heating thread and i picked up the comment about mean husbands and cost.

Since the move I'm back to having a tumble dryer. God I love it. LoveloveloveloveLOVElurvloooooove.

Having a running battle with OH who keeps taking stuff out of it and draping it over rads instead. Yuck. But he reckons it costs a fortune and its "the equivalent of leaving my hairdryer on all day".

So. Does anyone know how much the things cost to run?

Pretty sure he's talking ou of his bum. but even if he isnt he's off monday for the week and i will DRY as much as I LIKE!!! And make my towels all warm for when I come out of the bath too!!!!!!

yes tumble dryers are quite expesive to run, our old house had a key meter for the electric and we went through more electric than we should have, whilst using a tumble constantly, the meter had a little red light that slowly blinks (normaly) untill the tumble went on and it blinked so fast i couldnt keep up with it

If I can put washing on my whirlygig and get it dry I much prefer that but if not the tumble dryer takes care of it which with the weather we have be having means the td gets a lot of use.

I don't care how much it costs - I want stuff dry and not hanging about wet.

oh did have the occasional moan when we first got married but gave up after I ignored it. Rads make stuff hard as well.

You also save on ironing - I rarely iron as I fold stuff as soon as it's done so no creases.

Edited by Kathyw

Same here, when mine broke down life was a nightmare without it, damp washing hanging around everywhere all the time.

I do use the washing line in the summer, but right now my lawn is so soggy I get filthy just trying to hsang washing out.

I recently bought a new tumble dryer and on some sites I visited they give information on how much electricity per cycle it uses and how much the annual running cost is - it varies by machine :flowers:

The EDF Energy website gives you average electricity usage by unit, but you would need to work it out against the cost you are paying for electricity.

Edited by madmerle

Couldn't be without mine it's a god send so cost does tend to get overlooked till bill falls on the doormat .Do try use mine at cheaper rate time ( doesn't always happen though) mine is 10.30 pm to 11.30 pm then 12.30 am to 7am and have mine on a timer set for early morning cheap rate just before I get up.

Yes, they do use a lot of electricity: more than a hairdrier. Think about it, there is a powerful electric motor in there moving the clothes about, as well as a heater.

I hang my wet clothes in a cupboard and run a dehumidifier in there instead. That way clothes don't get crumpled if I don't take them out straight away, and instead of needing a vent to send a lot of hot steam outside, all the water goes into a pot. It doesn't take long for the dehumidifier to suck all the moisture out of an enclosed space.

I think its round about 50p-£1.00 per load depending on whats in ! I love mine not only does it dry the clothes and if you get then out quick and fold them you dont need to iron but it gets the dog hair off too so a double plus from me !

Me too. I have a condenser dryer so no vent.

I always use my tumbler, in fact I dont even have a washing line. The fact that it dries everything quickly, removes dog hairs and no need for ironing overweighs the costs of running it. O love my tumbler.x

Same here. I haven't got time to hang out the washing, hope it doesn't rain or get bird poop on it, then bring it all in and iron it and pick the hairs off. Four kids produce an astronomical amount of washing and there's plenty more things I could be doing than ironing :laugh: As soon as the dryer has finished the girls all line up with their arms out, I fold their clothes up and they put them away. Life before the tumble dryer involved a pile of ironing the size of Everest in the kitchen!

Ironing? Woss that then? :wacko:

Don't have a tumble drier (had a combi but the drier was carp and the clothes were either overdried and so creased even an iron couldn't get them out, or steamy and soggy :rolleyes:

We have a tumble drier under the stairs that cos £30 secondhand 11 years ago but it conked out 5 years ago and now only blows cold air, not hot.

We now use the trusty old "clothes over the fireguard and airer in front of the fireguard" effect, as we don't have central heating :rolleyes:

I love my tumble drier too. I love the smell of washing when it has been dried outside, but realistically how often does that happen in this country!! :laugh: I put clothes that can't go in the drier on the radiators, but we do use the drier a lot and I really can't think about the cost. I love the bonus that it removes animal hair too. With 4 cats and 2 dogs, that is mega important!