UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Renal Failure In Dogs...please Help

Ellapeptic

I am sorry to hear about your boy :GroupHug: and totally understand as my 15ish yr old staffy boy also has kidney failure.

When they did the blood test, did they tell you the count for the 2 enzymes that relate to the kidneys? Snatch got bitten by an adder which put him into renal failure and he was at the vets for 5 days on a drip to try and get the enzymes to a sort of normal range. His enzymes are currently at 18 and 34 which is still near enough 3 times the amount it should be but he is doing ok with it.

To be honest, if you do not feel confident in your vet, find another one straight away and start a new blood test with them. Fortekor is a heart medication for dogs and kidney medication for cats and is *sometimes* in rare cases prescribed for dogs with kidney failure who also have heart problems but never just for the kidneys.

Snatch is solely on the Renal prescription diet and he is a mega fuzzy eater. They are ok (from time to time) to have a little white fish like Cod as the protein count and omega3 is less in white fish than others, so you could try coaxing him with some of that. I tend to have some frozen and microwave it with a little water fresh for his meal so it is still warm and that does the trick. Also low salt gravy (thicker than we would have) mixed into the renal diet works well.

Is your boy on the wet or dry renal diet? If he is on the wet, why not try the dry one to see if that helps?

If he would be my boy, I would go to a new vet now.

Really hope he has perked up this morning :GroupHug:

Cindy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is your little boy today? I hope you've both had a restful night.

I've recently changed vets after years at one practice. The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons website - RCVS - has a search engine and you can find vets in your local area. I found their accreditation scheme quite useful in choosing a new vet. When I'd shortlisted, I called them all to get a feel for the one who was most professional, took their duties seriously, what emergency services they offered, etc. I found out a lot about who would be best for me and my dogs and cats from speaking with them.

Please try to get a second opinion for your boy and get a vet who is willing to work with you as a partnership :flowers:

That's a wonderful idea, thank you, I'll check that site out.

He's not too good, I was up most of the night, I syringed a mixture of pureed veg and water at 10ish, 12ish, 2ish and 4ish, hoping that by the morning he'd be a bit more alert, but to no avail. Had to rush him out for a toliet trip at about 4.30 when his poor tummy started gurgling though, think I might have overloaded it with veg, felt bad as he ahtes going out at the mo and is very wobbly. I got him out again for the loo this morning, but he won't eat or drink anything at all, I cooked some chicken in butter, which hasn't failed yet to tempt him to a tiny bit, but he won't touch it. Have given him all his meds and a little water with a syringe incase his mouth was dry, but just leaving him to rest now.

On the plus side, his heartbeat, which was very fast yesterday has come right down, and he's stopped shivering, so hopefully the vet won't want us to take him in today. I don't really know what to do anymore, I hope it's the infection that he's got that's keeping him subdued and that once the anti-biotics kick in he'll perk up, but I can;t help fearing that it's just the natural progression of the illness :(

thanks for your kind thoughts

I am sorry to hear about your boy :GroupHug: and totally understand as my 15ish yr old staffy boy also has kidney failure.

When they did the blood test, did they tell you the count for the 2 enzymes that relate to the kidneys? Snatch got bitten by an adder which put him into renal failure and he was at the vets for 5 days on a drip to try and get the enzymes to a sort of normal range. His enzymes are currently at 18 and 34 which is still near enough 3 times the amount it should be but he is doing ok with it.

To be honest, if you do not feel confident in your vet, find another one straight away and start a new blood test with them. Fortekor is a heart medication for dogs and kidney medication for cats and is *sometimes* in rare cases prescribed for dogs with kidney failure who also have heart problems but never just for the kidneys.

Snatch is solely on the Renal prescription diet and he is a mega fuzzy eater. They are ok (from time to time) to have a little white fish like Cod as the protein count and omega3 is less in white fish than others, so you could try coaxing him with some of that. I tend to have some frozen and microwave it with a little water fresh for his meal so it is still warm and that does the trick. Also low salt gravy (thicker than we would have) mixed into the renal diet works well.

Is your boy on the wet or dry renal diet? If he is on the wet, why not try the dry one to see if that helps?

If he would be my boy, I would go to a new vet now.

Really hope he has perked up this morning :GroupHug:

Cindy

thanks, he's on the dry food but we're giving him a home made diet now, but I'll ask the vet to try the wet stuff - at the moment he won't eat anything at all - I've left a plate of chicken next t him and he's fallen asleep with his head in it! He can still make me :laugh: even when he's this ill bless him! I'll try fish and he did have gravy the other day and liked it (low salt). I'm giving him salmon oil so not so worried about the omega 3 at the mo.

I'm going to get a copy of his blood test next time we went in, his last ones (last week before he went on IV)were very high, if you mean creatine it was over 100o, which they were very shocked about and seems to be the main thing to get down, I'm giving im coQ10 as it's meant to help.

definately going to get another vet, but think we'll get the next lot of bloods done at the same one as they're due in the next day or so and they're dealing with the anti-biotics he's on at the minute, would also like to take my time choosing another one.

thanks for you thoughts!

I'm sorry that neither of you got a very restful night :(

I hope the antibiotics help very quickly and I really hope he wants something to drink again soon because he'll be needing those fluids. If he were mine, I'd try to keep him warm, quiet and comfortable whilst making an appointment for a new vet to see him as soon as possible. For peace of mind and to ensure that he's getting the best and most suitable treatment :flowers:

Tommy got to the stage were she wouldn't eat anything apart from hovis with tuna or mackeral mixed in or processed meats. If they will take the proper renal food, that is the best but if they won't it is more important than the eat and don't worry about whether the food is suitable or not. Tommy was in the last stages when she got like this but was still free of pain.

Tommy got to the stage were she wouldn't eat anything apart from hovis with tuna or mackeral mixed in or processed meats. If they will take the proper renal food, that is the best but if they won't it is more important than the eat and don't worry about whether the food is suitable or not. Tommy was in the last stages when she got like this but was still free of pain.

I agree. There are days on end when Snatch won't eat and my vet recommended to mix a tiny little bit of fishy cat food into his renal diet, just for smell and that tends to work :)

How are you two today? I hope a little better :GroupHug:

Thanks everyone for your advice - on Tuesday night we changed vets and saw a fantastic guy who spent a long time with our baby and outlined an action plan which filled us with hope. We took him home, but he passed away yesterday morning. He was in his own bed with us and our other doggie by his side.

No more to add as I can't really cope with it all right now and am struggling to hold it all together, but just wanted to say thanks - and if anyone ever doubts the treatment their pet is recieveing, please get a second opinion sooner than I did.

:mecry: I'm so sorry. :GroupHug: to you all.

He was at home, in his own bed, with those he loved and who loved him around him. I think that speaks volumes. He went knowing love and peace, in familiar surrroundings. You loved him and did him proud.

Take time to heal and give your other doggy lots of hugs because you both need it, I'm sure :GroupHug: