UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Renal Failure In Dogs...please Help

Ellapeptic

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope no-one minds if I jump straight in as I'm pretty desperate for help. I was wondering if anyone had any experiance of canine renal failure?

My dog is a 11 year old whippet, who was diagnosed in December with mild kidney failure which the vet treated with a prescription diet (which he now refuses to eat) and a phosphate binder called Ipakatine. since then he has gone slowly downhill, plummeting very badly in the last week, when we took him in and his blood levels where so bad they put him on a drip for 24 hours. He is now home but had to go back as he was peeing blood and blood clots, he's now refusing to eat much and is very very weak with a fast heart beat - the vet said to bring him back tommorow if no improvement.

I am not getting on very well with our vet as I'm not confident in their advice so far ( ie we were told to give him cod liver oil which is very bad for kidney failure) and after his next blood tests will probably move elsewhere. Following some arguement from the vet we have chosen to feed him a homemade diet, a mix of low phosphate/protien meat (although we're getting conflicting info about the allowance of protien), carbs and veg, although the past few days we have been giving him anything to try and get him to eat, and also giving him supplements - a B complex, CoQ10, vit C and E, salmon oil and a pro -biotic. We are also looking to change him to an aliminium binder, and are interested in finding out more about the use of drugs like Claciatrol, Erythropoietin and the use of Sub-Q fluids at home. Our vet has not been much help with these queries and others, hence me asking in lots of places like here! He's been prescribed Fortekor (not sure why, will be clarifying with vet as well as asking for all blood results when we next go in) and the anti-biotic Synulox for an infection (whatever's making him pee blood).

if anyone has any experiance in this and can tell me if I'm doing anything right/wrong, or think of anything else that may help my poor boy, please let me know! thanks in advance

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 19 year old cat with renal failure but no experience of it in dogs. Tiggy did really well on Fortekor (it's specifically for controlling renal failure) and was comfortable for longer than we originally hoped.

Reducing protein is the key which is difficult to do in cats but can be better controlled in dogs.

To be honest, it sounds like moving to a good vet that you trust would be the best thing right now. A good vet is worth their weight in gold at times like this.

I hope someone who can give better advice than me comes along soon. Wish you both all the best :flowers:

Hiya, no personal experience but I'd recommend giving Purrpuss a PM. She's got loads of experiences with all sorts of conditions and does most things the natural way. She's a very good friend of mine and I know she won't mind at all. Best of luck to your whippet boy :)

He's been prescribed Fortekor (not sure why, will be clarifying with vet as well as asking for all blood results when we next go in) and the anti-biotic Synulox for an infection (whatever's making him pee blood).

Fortekor is prescribed for animals with enlarged hearts, particularly where there are symptoms like coughing (pressure on the lungs). While there are no contra-indications for dosing animals in renal failure, as far as I know it has no other use. Does your boy have heart problems? :unsure:

http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/cab/fortekor.shtml

When Tommy developed this, I home cooked her food, someone sent me this to make for her. I also have a list for phosphorous levels of a lot of foods but can't put it up on here. I found it useful and if you or anyone else would like it, pm me your email address.

Canine Diet for Kidney problems:

1/2 cup (1/4 pound) regular-fat hamburger

2 3/4 cups cooked white rice, enriched

1 egg

2 tablespoons cold-pressed safflower, soy,

or corn oil

600 milligrams calcium

1/8 teaspoon iodised salt

2 tablespoon parsley, finely grated carrot

or other vegetable (optional)

1/2-1 clove garlic (minced) for flavour

Dog vitamins (as recommended on label for

medium-size dog)

20-milligram-level B complex

5,000 IU vitamin A

1,000 milligrams vitamin C (1/4 teaspoon sodium

ascorbate)

Mix all ingredients together and serve raw if the

dog will accept it. Otherwise, mix al but the

vitamins together, bake about 20 minutes in a

moderate oven, and then wait until it cools to

mix in the vitamins. Occasionally, substitute 1

to 3 teaspoons of liver for part of the meat.

Be sure to provide plenty of fresh, pure water

(filtered or bottled) at all times.

Yield: Generally, feed as much as your dog will

eat, but, as a guideline, this recipe should feed

a 10 pound toy for 3 days, or a 40 pound dog for

a day. By tripling it you can feed a 60 pound

dog for 2 days. Multiply the recipe as needed

for convenience.

Note: If your dog isn't eating well, force-feed

vitamins separately, using these daily levels:

toys and small dogs--10 milligrams B complex and

250 milligrams vitamin C; Medium size dogs--as

indicated in recipe; Large and giant dogs--50 milligrams

B complex and 2,000 milligrams vitamin C."

Fortekor is prescribed for animals with enlarged hearts, particularly where there are symptoms like coughing (pressure on the lungs). While there are no contra-indications for dosing animals in renal failure, as far as I know it has no other use. Does your boy have heart problems? :unsure:

Sorry about that. Claire is right. Fortekor is prescribed for cats with renal failure but it's used for dogs with heart problems. That would explain why my cat was given it for her kidney problems.

This website might also be helpful - NOAH

No experience, thankfully, with this, but am very sorry to hear your dog isn't well and you're not happy with your vet. Is there another vet at this practice or a different one locally, where you could seek another opinion?

If the dog were mine, I would ask for a referral to a holistic vet (one that can advise on homeopathy, herbs, supplements etc.) - and see what they suggested.

I hope very much you can find something/someone to help your dog - please keep us posted :flowers:

Our old cat Rupert was put on Fortekor for renal failure 3 years ago. It must be working-he is still going strong at age 22! One side effect though is that he has got rather fat but at his age I don't think it is worth worrying about. He is also on the Royal Canin Renal diet which thankfully he seems to enjoy :D

Can't comment on the use of Fortekor for renal failure in dogs though, the only experience we have had in canines is when it has been prescribed for heart disease.

Wow, lots of replies, lovely, thank you all! I'm afrraid he has got more wobbly throughout the day, I've had to resort to purreeing veg with loads of water and sqiuting it into his mouth with a syringe, although he did eat some chicken. I'm basically on the edge of my seat waiting to see if he perks up by the morning and hoping he won't be sick overnight, not sure what to do if there's no improvement, I'm starting to lose hope a bit but really can;t face the thought of our home without our beautiful boy, our other doggie would be totally lost too.

I had a 19 year old cat with renal failure but no experience of it in dogs. Tiggy did really well on Fortekor (it's specifically for controlling renal failure) and was comfortable for longer than we originally hoped.

Reducing protein is the key which is difficult to do in cats but can be better controlled in dogs.

To be honest, it sounds like moving to a good vet that you trust would be the best thing right now. A good vet is worth their weight in gold at times like this.

I hope someone who can give better advice than me comes along soon. Wish you both all the best :flowers:

Thanks, a lot of the stuff with cat and dog renal failure seems to overlap, I think fortekor is genarally used more with cats though, but it's good to know it was helpful

I was just thinking, whereabouts are you as I'm sure there must be someone on here close to you who can recommend a good pointy vet with bags of renal experience :wink:

I'm in Norwich, I've been emailing local vets to see if I get a good "vibe" from any of them, a bit of enthusiasm about treating him would be great, any reccomendations of good vets in my area would be wonderful!

Hiya, no personal experience but I'd recommend giving Purrpuss a PM. She's got loads of experiences with all sorts of conditions and does most things the natural way. She's a very good friend of mine and I know she won't mind at all. Best of luck to your whippet boy :)

Thanks, will do that!

well, that's what's confusing me, when we picked him up we were given the pills...no-one's actually told us why yet! no heart problems that I know of, unless they haven't told us, in which case I'll be pretty unimpressed. Gonna ask them when we next talk.

When Tommy developed this, I home cooked her food, someone sent me this to make for her. I also have a list for phosphorous levels of a lot of foods but can't put it up on here. I found it useful and if you or anyone else would like it, pm me your email address.

Canine Diet for Kidney problems:

1/2 cup (1/4 pound) regular-fat hamburger

2 3/4 cups cooked white rice, enriched

1 egg

2 tablespoons cold-pressed safflower, soy,

or corn oil

600 milligrams calcium

1/8 teaspoon iodised salt

2 tablespoon parsley, finely grated carrot

or other vegetable (optional)

1/2-1 clove garlic (minced) for flavour

Dog vitamins (as recommended on label for

medium-size dog)

20-milligram-level B complex

5,000 IU vitamin A

1,000 milligrams vitamin C (1/4 teaspoon sodium

ascorbate)

Mix all ingredients together and serve raw if the

dog will accept it. Otherwise, mix al but the

vitamins together, bake about 20 minutes in a

moderate oven, and then wait until it cools to

mix in the vitamins. Occasionally, substitute 1

to 3 teaspoons of liver for part of the meat.

Be sure to provide plenty of fresh, pure water

(filtered or bottled) at all times.

Yield: Generally, feed as much as your dog will

eat, but, as a guideline, this recipe should feed

a 10 pound toy for 3 days, or a 40 pound dog for

a day. By tripling it you can feed a 60 pound

dog for 2 days. Multiply the recipe as needed

for convenience.

Note: If your dog isn't eating well, force-feed

vitamins separately, using these daily levels:

toys and small dogs--10 milligrams B complex and

250 milligrams vitamin C; Medium size dogs--as

indicated in recipe; Large and giant dogs--50 milligrams

B complex and 2,000 milligrams vitamin C."

That's great thanks, will add that to my list of food ideas! PM on way

Our old cat Rupert was put on Fortekor for renal failure 3 years ago. It must be working-he is still going strong at age 22! One side effect though is that he has got rather fat but at his age I don't think it is worth worrying about. He is also on the Royal Canin Renal diet which thankfully he seems to enjoy :D

Can't comment on the use of Fortekor for renal failure in dogs though, the only experience we have had in canines is when it has been prescribed for heart disease.

It's good to know there are success stories, thanks!

have a look at this site

http://www.dogaware.com/

thanks, I've already used that site and the k9kidney one, they've both been very helpful.

Sorry about that. Claire is right. Fortekor is prescribed for cats with renal failure but it's used for dogs with heart problems. That would explain why my cat was given it for her kidney problems.

This website might also be helpful - NOAH

Thanks, will take a look

No experience, thankfully, with this, but am very sorry to hear your dog isn't well and you're not happy with your vet. Is there another vet at this practice or a different one locally, where you could seek another opinion?

If the dog were mine, I would ask for a referral to a holistic vet (one that can advise on homeopathy, herbs, supplements etc.) - and see what they suggested.

I hope very much you can find something/someone to help your dog - please keep us posted :flowers:

Thanks - yes I don't think asking for advice on supplements is that radical, but you'd think I'd suggested treating him with chrystal therapy and nothing else by the way they reacted!!??

How is your little boy today? I hope you've both had a restful night.

I've recently changed vets after years at one practice. The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons website - RCVS - has a search engine and you can find vets in your local area. I found their accreditation scheme quite useful in choosing a new vet. When I'd shortlisted, I called them all to get a feel for the one who was most professional, took their duties seriously, what emergency services they offered, etc. I found out a lot about who would be best for me and my dogs and cats from speaking with them.

Please try to get a second opinion for your boy and get a vet who is willing to work with you as a partnership :flowers: