UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cutting The Grass - Advice Needed

snow

Wish I lived nearer, I LOVE mowing :wacko: :biggrin: and would gladly help out.

Ermmmm - you have MORE than enough grass to keep you occupied here thanks very much Roz!

Less of the offering out your services elsewhere! :wink: :D

If you are a good girl, you might have a new weapon this year! :laugh: :wink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've had mowing going on round here for a few weeks. not in this garden though! we move out in april and i'm supposed to leave the garden as i found it....

last year Twigg amongst the greenery...

twigalone.jpg

day before yesterday. I believe the word is 'sparse'.

dogsies034.jpg

what the *&@* am I going to do?

we've had mowing going on round here for a few weeks. not in this garden though! we move out in april and i'm supposed to leave the garden as i found it....

last year Twigg amongst the greenery...

day before yesterday. I believe the word is 'sparse'.

what the *&@* am I going to do?

Your only real option is to returf the garden just before leaving. You've practically no hope of sowing grass seed and establishing anywhere near a decent lawn before April.

Ermmmm - you have MORE than enough grass to keep you occupied here thanks very much Roz!

Less of the offering out your services elsewhere! :wink: :D

If you are a good girl, you might have a new weapon this year! :laugh: :wink:

Ooops!

Yes Boss!

Sorry Boss!

Forgot myself there for a moment Boss!

and the old weapon really does just fine! it's just my old bones that groan. :D

Snow is your house a militery ownwed house? When OH was in the army, if he was posted overseas for a tour the dhe used to send in lawn cutters for the wives, don't know if they still do this.

They are supposed to yes - but in practice that means no, my neighbour t'other side was supposed to have hers done all last summer whilst her hubby was away, they came once, a week after he got home :rolleyes:

They are also supposed to have equipment we can "lease" - we tried that some years ago when our mower died and we were a bit broke errrmmm they showed up with one of these for us ...

010501_0734_0115_lslp_op_384x600.jpg

I actually performed a perfect barrel roll straight over the top of it when attempting to use it :wacko: :rolleyes: :laugh:

Plan now is to hire a petrol mower £15 for 24 hours hire which we'll split with nextdoor neighbour and do both gardens before hubby goes - after that I can manage with the one we have so long as I keep on top of it, but I am also going to look into finding out what a regular gardener man would cost me as hubby was rather interested in not having to do it himself as well :laugh:

• 4 months later...

Ok I'm resurecting this thread - hubbys been gone 2 months - you all know what the weathers been like - we have up to now just about managed to stay on top of the grass using the battery mower & strimmer but as it's been raining really bad this week the grass has had to be left and is now really long again.

Nick has been doing it, but the last cut he only managed to do half the garden before the battery ran out and then we have to wait 24 hours for the recharge and then it rained...and rained....and rained... etc.

I am debating about buying another mower - a petrol one maybe - but both me and hubby are a bit nervous about having petrol around and stored.

I dont really want an electric one I dont think theyd be powerful enough (at the price I can afford) plus I have a feeling I'll run over the cable and electrocute myself :rolleyes:

We've had hovers in the past these have barely lasted a year before they die either from the stones in the grass flying up and snapping the front end off so they no longer hover or they overheat cos they just arent powerful enough to cope with our grass.

Are petrol mowers "safe"?

What about storing petrol?

How much petrol will one use?

Do petrol mowers need to be maintained?

I live myself, have quite a lot of grass and use a Mountfield Petrol mower. Had it nearly 6 years, never serviced and works perfectly. Keep it in the garage with a small container of petrol. £5 of petrol lasts me forever.

:)