UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cutting The Grass - Advice Needed

snow

As you know hubby is off to the Falklands at the end of March - my garden is a fair size and all grass (well apart from the greyhound racetrack around the edges :rolleyes: ).

We own a battery operated lawnmower which will only cut half the garden at a time before needing a recharge (takes 24 hours to recharge) and that is when the grass is kept short.

We always have a struggle with the first cut of the year, the grass is lumpy (thanks Nog) and clumpy and hubby takes at least 3 days to get the first cut done, and he always ends up knackered.

Now he won't be here this year for that first cut and he says that I am not strong enough with my bad arm to be able to do that first cut with this mower.

Soooooooo I have been looking into hiring a big petrol mower for the first cut - but now hubby says he thinks that would be too heavy for me :rolleyes:

Sooooooooo bearing in mind that the very last date the first cut could be done by hubby is 20th March is that too early in the year to cut the lawn? If we got any frost would it kill the grass off?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes well ummm when Nick was told he'd have to help me out his answer was -" how much does it cost to get a man in to do it - I'll pay" :rolleyes: :laugh:

Tell him he's a smart @rse :laugh:

Seriously though, you've only got a bit more grass than me and it doesn't take me long to do my garden. The first cut of the year always needs going over a couple of times, but the mower is quite light so its not really hard work :rolleyes:

Around here "Dave The Mower" charges everyone a flat fee of £7.50 pretty much irrespective of lawn size or state. He brings his own mower and disposes of the cuttings.

I'd ask around and see if there's anyone who offers a similar service in your neck of the woods and if not, stick a notice in the newsagent's window - or Church notice board of course! :wink: I'll bet there's a semi-retired handyman that'd do it for a tenner or something.

do you know any one with a goat ?

Sadly goats don't work (or they didn't here, prefering brambles, tree bark or anything else they could snaffle). Sheep are the best grazers - or geese. :)

Personally I'd get someone in, especially as NIck has offered to pay. :laugh:

We did our first cut for a client 2 weeks ago, it's an entertainment type place so has to be kept immaculate and the grass was getting too long. We've done one this week and will be doing some every week from now on I should think.

Provided you leave it a decent length ( ie don't scalp it ) it will be fine. So it could be done well before t'other half goes away :biggrin:

If you can find anyone to cut if for you it will be cheaper and easier to pay them to cut it and dispose of the cuttings than it will to hire a ride on mower, although you might have fun on the ride on :)