UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Chloe A Fresh Start At A Ripe Old Age

Jackthelab

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update for you after the first night

OK this is a quick one as all three are downstairs, Indie and Tau are in the hallway and Chloe has found her new favourite place on the enormous squishy dog bed Jez bought at Christmas time. It was a late night for us, she was very anxious and I didn't want to leave her until I felt she'd settled properly, which was about 2am. The collie in her is definitely obvious, she is a worrier! At about 1am we had a little break through, she actually reached for my hand and asked for a bit of a love, she is quite non-reactive when you try and pet her most times (and I'm not pushing her), so for her to ask for a bit of a stroke was very good. And she sort of curled round more towards where I was sat, all nice signs that she'd started to settle and accept her new home and family. She was clean through the night and after I've had my second cup of tea I'm gonna take her round the block. Oh, and she ate some pilchards for breakfast, so she's got something in her tum.

Well another quick update, she's worked out she can be shut in the front room so didn't want to go settle in there while I left her for five mins, its a good job Indie and Tau are accommodating and don't mind where they're told to have a rest! Chloe is in very poor body condition, she has no muscle mass really, so its no surprise her nails are long because I don't think she's been walked for a while. She's also got a bit of a swollen hock, and when I took her for a little jaunt around the block earlier it was obvious how unfit she was, and probably a good job as I don't think she's used to those lead things. The little dangly lump on her tummy is bleeding a little bit today, it looks like she's either overcleaned it or knocked it on something, so glad she's off to the vets. She is a bit anxious about everything but we'll just take it slowly with her, she gave me a lovely little welcome dance earlier after I'd left her for five mins, and when we were out on our little jaunt she kept looking up at me every little while and giving me a quick nudge, maybe she thinks I'm not real??

Update from Jo after the vets

Just back from the vets and it is all positive news. The funny dangly lump is a skin tag, and once she is settled in and a bit more confident the vet will take it off for her. Its cosmetic and the only reason they want to remove it is because she's obviously catching it and it will be sore. Other than that she has a fairly clean bill of health, she weighs just over 24 kilos and actually needs to lose a bit of weight, but that's because she hasn't been exercised by the looks of things. And judging by her general condition the vet thinks she isn't as old as 17, he'd actually put her age somewhere around 9, which is still an oldie for sure!

I took her for a little walk on Hob Moor on the way home, and she met some of Indie and Taus' friends and was made a fuss of. She is still quite apprehensive, and needs some time and patience to come out of her shell, but already today I have seen big change in her.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update for Chloe fans :)

She has been for her op to remove the skin tag as she kept chweing it and it got infected, here is what Jo her foster mum says

We're back from the vet, the wound is healing up beautifull, but the buster collar has to stay on until next Friday when she has her stitches out, and I suspect they might say keep it on for a couple of days after that even so she doesn't lick where the stitches have been. She was poorly in the night, and I didn't notice in the pitch black when I took them out for last busies before settling them all down for bed, that she'd had a very runny poo, so she's obviously a bit under the weather and now has to be starved for 24 hours. Not a happy bun at all bless her, we have to monitor how she is and take her back in the morning if she's still a bit out of sorts. She did turn her nose up at her tea last night as well, fresh boiled chicken and rice and I don't think many dogs would!!!