UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kennels

Jemimap

I am going to a wedding in April for 3 nights and am thinking about kennelling my 2.

Its something i've never done before.

I think Khyra will be fine but Dylan is much much more sensitive.

I have a friend who could have Khyra and my mum would have Dylan BUT i know she thinks i'm over the top with not letting him off lead etc and so i would spend the entire time worrying about what was happening. I also don't want to put on people too much.

Has anyone got any experiences of kennelling the more sensitive dog??

What do i look for (apart form the obvious clean and warm) in a kennels?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated :flowers:

When I had to kennel Khanu when he was at his worst I made the kennel owners agree to not have anyone walk him. He was kennelled for less than a week and at this particular kennels they didn't have a safe enclosure that he could be allowed in.

I think if I was looking for a kennels now i would be looking for one where besides the normal welfare issues, they had barriers between kennels so dogs couldn't see each other, possibly had a 'quieter' block where he could stay so he wasn't so stressed about all the dog noises. He would need to be kenneled with Willow, and if he was to be exercised would only be in a safe encosed area where other dogs could not be seen (so if it backed onto the kennel runs for instance there would need to be a solid barrier preventing him seein the other dogs). I would also inist that he be kept on the same diet.

Personally it wouldn't bother me if they couldn't meet the exercise requirement, I would rather he not be walked for a couple of days and than be walked on lead, come face to face with another dog kick-off and undo all our hard work. But then I don't trust anyone to walk Khanu at all - not even my OH really(although he does).

That's very kind of you Helly, i may call you tomorrow if thats ok? :flowers:

Believe me i have even tried to work out if its really impractical to drive them to yours cos i know i'd relax then :rolleyes:

Jacky i would love them to stay with someone but Dylan can still be quite gobby with dogs he doesn't know and he's exceptionally strong

Khanu - that is my main worry Dylan and other dogs :(

I always use Bretton Country Park Kennels on the rare occasions I use them, I have always found them very good with my dogs and very sensitive to my dogs needs. It has a half acre exercise paddock that even Tommy couldn't get out of :laugh: The kennels are heated and the radio is on all day and evening, turned off about 10pm.

Going back a few years when I used to leave Tommy and Dixie there, they used to get 2 Collies in that the owner rescued them from a farmer who used to beat them. These 2 dogs were in a terrible state at first, but the kennel's owner quickly gained their trust, it was lovely to see.

They feed the same as you feed and will give medication.

When I had my hip replaced my dogs were in there for 2 weeks, they came home in lovely condition and happy.

They are close to junction 38 on M1, you go towards High Hoyland but if interested, I can give you the instructions on how to get there. There are kennels at this juction but they are not nearly as good as these.

I put Neo and Saffy in for an overnight first to get them used to it. I wrote notes about each of them, Neo's was pretty much an essay as he is a sensitive boy and has 'issues'. I did talk the lady at the kennels through all of his little quirks as well. I haven't left them for a week yet, but will after another trial. I left mine separately in adjoining kennels as Neo does deflect his aggression onto Saffy if he is stressed. The kennels I used had metal screening in between so that the dogs couldnt see each other.

I think its worse for us than it is for them. All the things I had imagined him to be going through didnt seem to have happened, :rolleyes: though he did deaf me out when I collected him! :laugh:

Bit of a drive (Wirral) but for peace of mind why don't you contact Dawnhughes on here who does pet sitting from her home. She certainly knows how to handle all dogs and I'd trust her with my rabble (and that's saying something!!! :laugh: )

hmmm...she does does she...

thats very handy to know.

With all the problems with my brother i'd forgotten id started this! :rolleyes:

Cheryl that's very very kind of you but its an awful long way, or were you planning on staying at mine while i was away?? :flowers:

Helly/Di - when the best time to call you?

Thanks very much Mrs Mop, i will look into them, I guess they'll be about half an hour away

The kennels I use are fantastic. Having had several friends turned away from places cos they have Rotts - Moorside is brilliant cos they've had Rotts themselves for 20 odd years so know alot about the breed and with Nel being a tad headstrong he doesnt faze them one bit - and I'm sure he loves going in. Sorry I dont know what breeds you have but the kennels is in Oakworth which is @ 1 hour away from you :wink: