UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Irish Dogs

EGAR

I have just worked my way through a monster thread on another board re Irish dogs being brought into the UK. The anti-Irish dog sentiment was very strong and some quite horrific stories re transport etc were told. According to this thread van loads crammed with Irish dogs are being brought over every week into UK rescues/homes. According to this thread, many of these dogs are ill and bring in viruses which had been *eradicated* in the UK :unsure:.

Hm, any thoughts on that from the Fugees, please?

Yep have been reading through same thread and is whole reason I got kicked of of it. I was in close contact with a mod who is very anti Irish dogs and I am pro Irish dogs as have fostered over 30 Irish pups in the last year. I kept stating reasons for being pro and got nasty PM saying "please dont post these messages on forum as they are bringing distemper and parvo back into this country and I dont want people encouraging it" I continued got moderated then had big bust up rest is history.

I have keira from Ireland and I am of the opinion dont care where a dog comes from but still deserves a chance at a good life. Have to say about 40% of the dogs were poorly but nearly all recovered after a drip and antibiotics. Must say I desperatly wanted to see how they were transported over but never got the chance but most were happy when they got to the rescue. Never had any of the ones over 1 go down poorly either.

Edited by meandmy4?

Well as the owner of 5 collies from Ireland I'm very pleased that efforts are made to bring them here for a second chance. A dog is a dog to me and it doesn't matter where it comes from. To suggest that parvo and distemper have been eradicated here is absurd! And if there is evidence to suggest that irish dogs can bring diseases in then surely that is only an argument for quarantine, rather than stopping them coming altogether.

Anyone here on this board who has picked up a dog from an Irish transporter and seen how the dogs were transported?

Yes, Miya came from Mary Organ in Ireland and was transported all the way to Brighton where I picked her up. The van was clean and plenty roomy enough for the amount of dogs transported (they were all destined for Brighton) and after what was a mammoth journey all dogs that came out of the van seemed well.

This transport was straight from an irish rescue with no middle men or handovers.

I had a homecheck before she came and also had local rescue back up. As that was mentioned somewhere about dogs just being brought over and handed to people.

This is Keira my Irish belle we had her from 4 weeks.

k1.jpg

Her 2 brothers died but Keira and her 2 sisters survived. They had a severe worm infestation. After 2 weeks at the vets and intensive treatment Keira and her sisters pulled through. The mentality of the anti-irish bugs me so much. I cannot understand how some rescue representatives are so anti Irish dogs. I am sure the pound in Ireland would not have had the funds to give them the intensive treatment they needed.

The fact is you love dogs or you dont geography is irrelevant surely.

Zara came out of Wexford pound and into an Irish rescue before continuing her journey to me with a greyhound transporter. He treated her brilliantly. Zara was a terrified wreck of a puppy, about 4 or 5 months ish and he allowed her to travel on the passenger seat next to him because she was so scared. He genuinely seemed to care and I'm sure he made the ordeal better for her. I saw the Greys he had with him and they were all in good condition and didn't seem too stressed by their travels. Apart from being covered in fleas, physically Zara was fit and well.

I have 1 Irish dog and I wouldn't want to be without him.

I always wonder why people have to start a hysteria about something.

Many other european countries rescue dogs from other countries like Spain, Portugal, Hungary etc.

I don't understand how people can say let the dog die to prove a point to the government. Doglovers?

I've met Irish transport before and never once seen a "crammed" van or poor conditions for the dogs. A full van yes but full to the extent that the dogs were still comfortable and with enough room. There could have been a lot more dogs carried had they wanted to "cram" them in. The only concern I had was for the poor driver!

If the dogs are in a bad way then surely that only exemplifies their need?

Edited by reds

Mollydog is an Irish greyhound. I don't know if she came over with her racing owner or as a rescue, and the difference seems to me academic. When it comes to greyhounds the Irish and English problems are so closely tied together I don't see how you can reasonably separate them.

I don't know anything about transport conditions, but I'm guessing that like most things, there are occasionally some cases of bad practice or mistakes made, balanced by many people who work hard and do a good job. That to me is an argument for identifying and sorting out the bad practice, not giving up and saying the whole idea is a bad one.

I suppose I can sort of see the argument that there are dogs in need of homes in the UK, so why import more? But I'm not sure that entirely stacks up: it seems to assume that a home is a home and that people who can't adopt the sort of dog they want will adopt a different kind of dog instead. My unscientific observation of people that I know suggests that this is not the case: that people who can't find the dog they are looking for either wait for one to turn up, or buy from a breeder. If there is an oversupply in Ireland of the kind of dogs people want to adopt in the UK, I can't really see much of a downside to moving the dogs to the homes.

Anyone here on this board who has picked up a dog from an Irish transporter and seen how the dogs were transported?

Yes. As with all things, some are better than others. The best transporter is Donal. The van is immaculate. The dogs travel on the type of mattress that Gymnasts used for landing on. All of it completely washable and comfortable for long distances.

The rescue ambulances, whilst not as immaculate as Donal, are clean and the ones I have met carry disinfectant sprays on board which is regularly sprayed round. In these the dogs tend to travel on shreaded paper which is often (not always) taken out as soon as the dog is removed and the crate sprayed down.

As Lindsey said, the vans are full yes, but not crammed. I have met one transport where I was not happy with how some of the dogs were travelling. I kicked up a stink and it hasn't happened since - not that I have seen anyway.

Parvo and distemper is still here, the Irish dogs aren't the cause. When rescues take an Irish dog in, they take a vaccinated dog in, and they will have a rough assessment from the rescue/foster home in Ireland. When rescues take the pound dogs from the UK - they have nothing - no one knows what they may or may not be carrying.

All dogs deserve a chance, it doesn't matter which side of the water fate decided to let them be born. If they need rescuing and help, they need rescuing and help. If you can turn your back on a dog that needs you because its not the right side of the blanket, then you need to look at yourself and why you are doing rescue in the first place.

I have just had my first ever trip to Ireland, and seeing what I saw out there makes me even more determined to support and help our Irish collegues with what they do. Some are truely fighting a loosing battle and they put their lives at risk to save the dogs. One area we went through, rescuers are shot at regularly. Cars are attacked, people are attacked, but they still go in and save the dogs. Why would WE not support and help rescuers who have that amount of conviction and courage??

The 2 Shih Tzus that I put the appeal out for dog coats in Dog Chatter would have been killed on the Halting Site. Shih Tzus!

They were kept for breeding and no longer any use. The rescuer happened to go in on the right day when they decided they didn't want them anymore. This particular Halting Site gives the dogs and puppies to the children when they don't want them anymore. The children have bonfires or dowse them in petrol. They don't hit the dogs over the head first before they do it, or shoot them. They tie their legs together and thrown them into the bonfire - puppies, adults, oldies. You name it, they do it - regularly - the authorities aren't interested, animal welfare is way down the agenda.

So, 2 Shih Tzus burning to death on a bonfire for the amusement of a group of children and their adults after those poor little buggers had been bred to hell.

The rescuer did have to bargain for them. The kids were pleading with their mother so they could 'have some fun with the dogs'. Luckily she wanted the loaf of bread and bottle whisky the rescuer had with her more.

The rescuer told me she wouldn't be able to home the Shih Tzus in her area - people aren't interested in fluffy numbers in Ireland, which is why the Halting Site didn't want them anymore. Puppies weren't selling quick enough.

Could you say NO? I'm not helping them?

The dogs I bought back had been fully vaccinated and they were all neutered - the rescue over there does all that - but they can't home the dogs in Ireland - because people don't want those types of dogs (collies). That is why so many are put to sleep. The people here want them - why, WHY deprive those dogs of that chance of a life??