UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jess Just Got Attacked By Another Dog

Tempest

Was literally just street walking with Jess onlead when a scruffy terrier came flying out of someone's front door as they opened it, straight across the road to Jess biting, snapping and snarling at her :unsure: Jess went absolutely mad at the dog, while I frantically tried to get it away from us and a boy came running out of the house trying to grab it and apologising.

There's not a scratch on her but I was really shaken up, she's not very confident with other dogs when she's onlead and as a result can be quite barky but I've done lots of work with her on it and I'm worried this could be a massive setback.

I know you can't predict life but at the moment I'm thinking 'if only we left 2 mins earlier/later' 'if only I'd walked another way' :unsure:

I've already fixed up a walk with a friendly dog we know for tomorrow but we've had a few bad experiences with other dogs of late so my confidence was already a bit shaken and now I feel even worse. I know the worst thing I can do is let Jess know I'm feeling nervous but I think that's going to be the hardest thing for me :unsure:

Definately not a good day.

At the moment she's batting a tennis ball around the lounge and seems her usual happy self which is a good sign :GroupHug:

Have a big :GroupHug:

This kind of thing is a horrible shock isn't it? Sounds like she's happy for now, which is good, and you're defo doing the right thing getting right back in the saddle, as it were, going out with a friendly dog tomorrow.

The only thing you can do is keep working to reinforce her confidence and remember that your confidence will help her, especially down the lead. Keep reminding yourself you are her leader, and though you can't stop bad things happening because they're sometimes out of your control, when they do happen you can step in and protect her.

My boys had a scrap with each other at the weekend and because it hadn't happened in so long I completely got it wrong and was panicking, which just made them worse. So you have my sympathy about how hard it can be to project calmness at these times :GroupHug:

Hopefully it wont set her back too badly! When we got Dylan he was very reactive to other dogs, out of fear as he'd been beaten up in the rescue where he was previously (by dogs, I hasten to add, not a person!). Last year a Japanese Akita came flying out of the gateway of its house and flattened him, he was bitten on his tummy but thankfully only bruised, not a penetrating bite. We thought it would really set him back but apart from insisting on walking on the other side of the road when we pass that house, he's been ok. I hope Jess will be fine, after a bit of initial wariness :GroupHug:

:GroupHug: I know exactly how you feel.

Riley was attacked recently as well - ended up with a cut ear and scratches across her head. I was absolutely terrified this was going to turn her from being a submissive friendly dog to a nervous not so friendly dog. However, it doesn't seem to have affected her - she's scared of the dog that bit her (not surprisingly) and stays out of his way but all other dogs she seems fine with.

I did two things that may have helped. Firstly I dosed her, and me, with Rescue Remedy every few hours for the days following the attack. I put in it her water, in her food, on treats. I am still using Star of Bethlehem in her water bowl. Secondly, I got the OH to walk her on his own for the first couple of walks after the attack so he could see how she was and reassure me that things were OK. I was much more shaken up than her and I knew that I'd transmit my nervousness to her which wouldn't help things.

I hope Jess is OK - Riley sends her a very polite bottom and nose sniff and a play bow :biggrin: