UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nobody To Help

Brunzara

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am appalled that the lady's vet wouldn't help out with this dog. I read somewhere that the average vets income is more than £100,000 a year. This vet obviously thinks more of money than she does of animals if she can't spare a little bit of time and care for a case like this.

She's in a bad way but not as bad as I was expecting and certainly not at deaths door. I was met with a dog that wouldn't stop "boinging" :laugh:

:unsure: Not sure what you'd expected to find but I'm sat here by myself & let out a f****** h*** when I opened the poundies thread & saw her. She must be starving & her long nails...... even if her skin isn't bothering her I'm now even more disgusted that none of those people would help her :angry: . In my opinion the RSPCA ought to be hunting down & prosecuting anyone responsible for anything like that.

The "pound" are not responsible for her treatment, the council are and she probably won't get treatment as her skin isn't that bad but RDR will get her to a vet on Monday, if we can find a transporter :rolleyes:

Speaking of a transporter. Can manage her in Col's little wagon R. I just can't resist, bless her. :GroupHug:

She will be classed as a stray so the RSPCA can't do anything, they will be breaking the law if they do. We can do more than they can because we can take them in and look after them until the Dog Warden takes over, even then they can stay with us. :flowers:

if say for instance the RSPCA did act and 'broke the law' , who would proscecute them and how successful would this likely to be

big :GroupHug: to you Coryn

:flowers: Thank you everyone for helping this girl.

I'm so glad my vets have their hearts well and truly still in place! They have helped me so many times with strays and even didn't charge me for one of my foster dogs treatments because they knew he was a rescue. (In fact my vet now has one of my 'found' dogs as his own! :laugh: )

Posted by Bernie on the RDR forum after J-Lo's visit to the vet today:

Well this endearing girl has been to vet this AM, she touched the hearts of those in the waiting room and wagged her tail and went over for cuddles. She said a little hello to the dogs she met in a quiet friendly fashion, not an ounce of aggression in her, just friendliness which says please love me. When taken into the surgery she behaved impeccably, neer a wriggle or attempt to pull away when I held her head so Ian could clip her nails. As far as the skin condition and loss of hair he feels that this is just through total neglect and being completely uncared for. It appears she is around 3-3.5 years old, has had puppies at least once in her lifetime, she only weighs 8.75kg so there's nothing of her. She does appears to be a Bedlington X and is more a grey colour than the photo's actually show. She is now on antibiotics twice daily and malaseb baths twice weekly, her little life can only get much better from now on. She is a very loving girl and looking for a comfortable place to call her own where she will get lots of TLC.

if say for instance the RSPCA did act and 'broke the law' , who would proscecute them and how successful would this likely to be

big :GroupHug: to you Coryn

The RSPCA advertise that they work inside the law, because of this they have a good relationship with the police and other societies. Any employee who does break the law is usually sacked. :flowers:

The RSPCA advertise that they work inside the law, because of this they have a good relationship with the police and other societies. Any employee who does break the law is usually sacked. :flowers:

I fail to see how they'd be breaking the law by helping a dog in immediate need especially when the dog warden is "closed". Why could they not do exactly the same thing RDR have done or indeed that any private individual could do ie contact the Dog Warden when "open" again but then offer to care for her?

If you refer back to the fundraising appeal I mentioned above they are in fact currently claiming to do this sort of thing when soliciting money in "Septembers appeal".

Ian writes....

I fail to see how they'd be breaking the law by helping a dog in immediate need especially when the dog warden is "closed". Why could they not do exactly the same thing RDR have done or indeed that any private individual could do ie contact the Dog Warden when "open" again but then offer to care for her?

I volunteer for my local RSPCA Animal Home - they do not take strays - the local council are responsible for strays which are collected by the dog warden or from police stations and taken to approved council funded kennels (pounds). Each RSPCA Animal Home is self funded and ours certainly doesn't get any funding from the council - they also do not get any funding from the main RSPCA Headquarters who fund the inspectors and national animal welfare campaigns.

The RSPCA, like the dog warden, is also closed at certain times as people do have to sleep and each Animal Home has limited resources and cannot be open 24/7.

Our Animal Home takes in "cruelty case" dogs brought in by the Inspectors - these dogs can be in kennels for many months (we have one in at the moment first brought in Jan 2007) until the case comes to court. The dog is not legally owned by RSPCA for rehoming until the case has been proved. They also take "signed over" dogs brought in by Inspectors where the owner has agreed to sign over the dog to the RSPCA for re-homing. The rest of the dogs are what are called "gifted" dogs - which means they are dogs that are being rehomed because of a problem in the present home - allergies, kids, moving to accomodation that doesn't accept dogs, marriage breakup, etc etc etc.

The Inspector dogs have to be found kennel space immediately (as they are dogs in immediate need) - and some will take up kennel space for several months. The "gifted" dogs have to go onto a waiting list until there is kennel space available which is when existing dogs in the Animal Home are re-homed. Kennel space is obviously limited as we do not have a euthanasia policy unless the dog has severe behaviourial problems (usually towards humans - and this is worked on extensively by staff and volunteers before any decision is made) or if the animal has untreatable health problems which are causing pain and suffering. We rehome many older dogs through a specially funded Elderly Animal Rehoming Scheme.

Even if the RSPCA were legally able to take in strays they would not have the kennel space to do so. You are talking about one dog here - how many more cute and fluffy dogs (although admittedly in bad condition) are found on a daily basis which everyone thinks should immediately be given room by the RSPCA - but who do not have the kennel space.

The reason the pounds have ongoing kennel space for the multitude of strays brought in on a daily basis is because, if they don't have kennel space, the dogs who have already served their 7 days are put to sleep if no rescue space can be found for them or if they are not re-homed directly from the pound.

Rather than always blaming the RSPCA, I personally would be more inclined to contact my local council and ask why there isn't a dog warden service available over the weekend and ask what their policy is on trying to reduce the number of dogs being illegally bred by backyard breeders and what they envisage doing to provide better re-homing facilities for pound dogs. Some councils are better than others in this respect.

Respectfully