UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Rileyroo

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall loving the book (National Velvet) and whilst I liked the film, it was a bit schmaltzy and lacking substance but having said that, I love books but seldom enjoy films.

Books are sooooooooo much better than films. If I have read a book and then watch the film I'm always really disappointed.

Does anyone else have about five seven books on the go?

I try to stick to three at the most :laugh:

Wasting Police Time - written by a real copper about how frustrating it is to be a modern police officer. Recommended reading for anyone that thinks the police should be out catching real criminals rather than dealing with petty incidents. (you do know that the police officers agree with you right? :glare: )

I adore Barbara Erskine, she is brilliant and really makes her books come alive. Her first book I read a few years ago (Lady of Hay) and couldn't put it down!

Ooh I read Lady of Hay years ago. I still have the book. Might read it again when I've finished this series I'm in the middle of. I'll have to see what other things I can find of hers. A similar type of book to that is To Sleep No More by Dinah Lampitt. Very good read. Not sure if it's still in print though.

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley is another you can't put down. I keep meaning to buy others by her.

I also read a lot of Robert Rankin. A lot funnier than Tom Holt although his are still ok.

I've just finished Tetrarch, which as usual left everything on a cliffhanger so am now starting the next one Alchemist. (Can't remember if he's spelt it like that or not).

If you like fantasy type novels The Redemption of Althalus is a goodun.

I read all sorts of books but tend to lean more towards fantasy and comedy.

Edited by Jacobean

Like ericc I was reading phil richman,s new book.Just love his main charactor merrily watkins a hereford lady vicar who is also an exorist very eerie thrillers.Made me look at hereford in a different way.

Excellent books when you get used to his style.I have them all.

I am reading the new novel by Lionel Shriver. Its very good, about a woman who may/may not start an affair, and how her life would be if she did/didnt. Cant remember the name, but something to do with birthdays.

If you hav'nt read "We need to talk about Kevin" (same author) I REALLY reccommend it. It is the most powerful book I have read for years :flowers:

Am re-reading Rebecca Shaw's 'Village Gossip' - am in need of some solid comfort at the moment & this is easy reading with a high feelgood factor. If I had my copy of Precious Time by Erica James I would be re-reading that as it is one of my favourites. Would be delighted to hear any recommendations from others as I'm always trying to expand my range. Stephen King/James Herbert are favourites but rub shoulders with many others on my book shelves. What can be nicer than a Staffie by your feet, cat on your lap, big glass of wine, a good book and a large cheese sarnie? :biggrin:

Phew! Finally I have finished reading my Peter Kay biog after months and months. I only kept going with it as someone brought it for me. I have to say I was really dissapointed with it. I have now just started reading Dale Wintons biog and it has me interested from the start. I'm only reading biog's at the mo as I want to see if they are as bad/good as the newspapers make out them to be. The very worst biog I started to read and soon threw in the bin was Micheal Barrymoore's :suicide_anim:

Has anyone read 'The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night' by Mark Haddon? It's the most fantastic book - one of the best I've ever read

Here's the blurb :biggrin:

Like any good suspense novel, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time wastes no time getting into the thick of action. On the very first page, fifteen-year-old Christopher John Francis Boone, the novel's protagonist discovers the corpse of his neighbor's dog impaled by a pitchfork. The incident acts as a catalyst, setting Christopher on a quest-inspired by his favorite character Sherlock Holmes-to find out who is responsible for the gruesome crime.

Christopher, though, is not the kind of run-of-the-mill precocious young detective we all remember reading about as kids. Rather, Christopher suffers from a fairly intense autism, an affliction that seriously effects the way he comes to research the case, the way he interprets the information he uncovers, and ultimately how that information is passed on to the reader. Christopher's autism is also what sets Haddon's novel apart from those other young detective novels, as the focus of the story is much less about who killed the dog, and much more about the way Christopher goes about uncovering who is responsible.