UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

If This Was A Dog Breeder............

Trallwm farm

Do you know I find this sort of treatment of breeders pathetic, I know nothing about horse breeding, but why equate it to dog breeders??

I equate it to dog breeding because just like puppy farmers we get foal farmers who produce foals day in and day out.

The main difference of course is that the said foals eventually go to actually feed the pups.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What help did you do in this situation by slamming the phone down?? It's the same old same old, rescue slagging breeders off, painting them out to be the worst in the world, yet do nothing to educate or help. You may deal with it day in day out, but what help have you been to these foals (we only have your word they have 3 mares and 6 foals) by slamming the phone down on someone, who you know nothing about apart from one phone call?? I honestly don't think a puppy farmer (as you are equating this person to them) would ring a rescue and ask for a dog, so why would someone who you think is a foal farmer???

I didnt slam the phone down and spoke to the woman for 20 minutes. worrying about You having my word on her having 3 mares and 6 foals really isnt on the top of my priority list.

And yes puppy farmers phone and ask about unspayed dogs just as they try and get mares to pop out more foals.

You seem to have no interest in anything other than politics while the rest of us understand the problem because we deal with rescue day in and day out.

Oh I'm sorry, do you know me?? How do you know what dealings I have with rescue?? This is nothing to do with politics, this is to do with the fact so many people are so quick to slag breeders, yet do nothing to help the situation other than slag them?? Really I mean how does that help the foals in this foal farm? Suprising how fast these people went from being breeders/dealers to foal farmers?? :unsure:

So, are you saying that the 6 foals are from the 3 mares she currently has ie 3 newborns and 3 almost yearlings ?

And are you suggesting she didn't actually want a pony on loan for her daughter to ride but in reality wanted a mare to 'pop out foals'.

Obviously you should know more about the person than is evident from the email you posted but I still don't see how being rude is any help to anyone.

Nor would I think this person would be too happy about being accused either directly or indirectly of being a 'foal farmer'.

Two things as a matter of interest :

what horses does she actually breed ?

and would you feel the same if you were approached by a sheep farmer or a cattle farmer ?

I rarely post on contro and do not intend to discuss this particular case but would like to make 2 points of information.

First, Welsh rescues do have to weed out people who try to adopt dogs for indiscriminate breeding. It is a regular problem, and one of the reasons why some of us are so distraught by the policy of one large local sanctuary to stop neutering. I know that breeders have had bitches from that sanctuary.

Second, we have a gigantic glut of horses and ponies. A lot of them go for meat. A lot of them are kept in poor conditions. In parts of South Wales there is even a problem of loose horses running around on estates and causing problems. They do belong to people, who don't bother about them very much.

I'm not being aggressive and I'm very calm... :laugh: I'm sorry I'm just trying to get to how slamming the phone down helped anyone, and why now a foal farmer??? can be equated to a dog breeder? I just dont' think it's fair that someone can come on to a forum and make judgement about people without that person having a say or being able to defend themselves....... Also the fact because I'm seemingly not involved in day to day rescue (I'd love to know how Trallwm farm knows this about me) makes my thought's or feelings on this matter less valid...

I rarely post on contro and do not intend to discuss this particular case but would like to make 2 points of information.

First, Welsh rescues do have to weed out people who try to adopt dogs for indiscriminate breeding. It is a regular problem, and one of the reasons why some of us are so distraught by the policy of one large local sanctuary to stop neutering. I know that breeders have had bitches from that sanctuary.

Second, we have a gigantic glut of horses and ponies. A lot of them go for meat. A lot of them are kept in poor conditions. In parts of South Wales there is even a problem of loose horses running around on estates and causing problems. They do belong to people, who don't bother about them very much.

All rescues have to weed out owners who, for whatever reason, are unsuitable.

Neither this nor a glut of horses and ponies really excuses rudeness though. All being rude to people achieves is to alienate them.

Thank you for explaining that :flowers:

My point it that everyone seems to tar breeders with the same brush, this breeder/dealer has now turned in to a foal farmer in a matter of posts. I still stick by my first post how does slamming a phone down and then lording over the fact help these foals, if this person is in fact a foal farm??

Ok - we've asked nice, I've also tried to make my point with a bit of humour - if thats gonna be ignored then out will come the big stick - direct all comments to the topic from now on and NOT about each other else this thread goes poof and people get warned.

Have I made it perfectly clear this time?

Would you be surprised and would you home to them.

They have 3 brood mares and 6 foals

[email protected]

Subject: Rudeness !!!

I have just spoken to whom I believe must be the proprietor of Trallwm

Farm Sanctuary and whom I believe will be reading this e-mail !!

I am disgusted at the rudeness of a person who put the phone down on

me because you PRESUMED I am a breeder and dealer because I own

broodmares !!

Yes we have foals born but our animals are LOVINGLY looked after,

handled with love and shown for years before selling them on ! We do

NOT breed them to make money !!!! Our 3 broodmares only have a foal

every 3 years as well !!!!!!!!! We dont let them have foals every year

as I dont agree with it ! If you came to see our horses you would

change yr mind ALL are happy, healthy with acres of good grass !!

I thought I would be helping your sanctuary by wanting to take a loan

pony for my daughter !!! as it would be coming to a loving

knowledgeable home with people that care probably more about the horses

than themselves !!!!!!!!

I spend almost all of my hard earned money on our horses If I was a

breeder AND a dealer as I was accused of i wudnt be driving around in a

battered old 4x4 !!!

You really should not judge people like that and put the phone down on

them I was stunned to say the least

Yours stunned, upset and to be honest completely disgusted !!

(SUPPOSED breeder and dealer)

Ok - we've asked nice, I've also tried to make my point with a bit of humour - if thats gonna be ignored then out will come the big stick - direct all comments to the topic from now on and NOT about each other else this thread goes poof and people get warned.

Have I made it perfectly clear this time?

OK :biggrin: to answer the original post, to which I think the question is ' Would you be surprised and would you home to them?'

It's rather hard to judge from just the content of the email.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised that someone who breeds horses would want a loan pony for their daughter. It may be that they breed horses which are not suitable for her to ride. In that case, better they have a pony on loan than one which she will outgrow and will have to be sold on.

Would I home to them ? It is even harder to tell that just from the content of an email. I would want to know that she bred responsibly, that she paid due care and attention to where her horses went and that her horses were well looked after. Provided she met these criteria and I believed that the loan pony would be well looked after then I would consider it.

On the basis of the information given..... i would want more information.

Id want to know what they are breeding, obviously if they were breeding from unpapered mares with no performance record, or mares with poor conformation with no real market for the foals, then no...

If they were breeding top performance horses, rare breeds such as Dales or in demand breeds such as Friesians.... thats different.

Id want to see their premises, land, fencing, stabling etc..

I cant honestly see any way in which hanging up on them or being rude can help rescues.