UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nottingham Council Tenants May Face Pet Limit

ReikiAnge

:( :wacko: :angry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/notting...ire/6971003.stm

Council tenants may get pet limit Council tenants in Nottingham could soon be restricted on the amount of pets they can keep in their homes. Some residents have criticised the plans which would limit tenants to one cat or dog per household.

Smaller caged animals and fish would not be affected by the plans suggested in a draft tenancy agreement.

Nottingham City Homes, which manages the city's council houses, said the plans were open for public consultation and had been suggested by its tenants.

It's discriminating against council tenants and it cannot be allowed

Bilborough dog trainer Janet Wesley Tenant Michelle Morgan, who lives in Bilborough, said: "I think it's absolutely terrible and it's going to be devastating for small local businesses that stock anything to do with pets.

"Especially in Bilborough, there's a lot of council tenants and the amount of pet food that is bought is seriously going to be reduced, so that will impact on local businesses."

Bilborough dog trainer Janet Wesley, said: "It certainly helps a dog to have a companion, it's the same with cats.

"It's discriminating against council tenants and it cannot be allowed."

'Tenants' wishes'

Gill Moy from Nottingham City Homes said the idea has come from existing tenants who have been annoyed by nuisance pets.

She said: "It's about taking a balanced view about all of our tenants.

"There's many tenants who don't want us to put the restrictions on the number of dogs, equally there are a number who actually want to see the restrictions in place.

"We undertook a number of consultation exercises and the proposals for the restricted number actually came from those policy forums, so we are responding to the wishes of our tenants."

Ms Moy said residents would be able to write to her organisation requesting to keep more than one cat or dog and each case would be considered separately.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/engl...ire/6971003.stm

Published: 2007/08/30 15:58:04 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Hi,

Im not in that area but my council now has a limit on how many pets. You are allowed either 2 cats OR dogs or 1 of each & no more.

I had to rehome my Holly-Mole in July because of it or face losing my home :mecry: I tried everything to keep her but we are not in the position to buy a home & i couldnt make my children homeless.

What gets me even more is i can have as many caged animals as i want, my neighbour even has a goat living in her garden & they dont care about that.

sarah

I don't think this is something particularly new....possible just being more enforced now?

Many non council owned rented properties have this clause as a standard clause, all rented properties I've lived in have always said no animals.

Many flats owned or rented also have this clause in the agreement.

It's just up to the "owner" how it is enforced.

x

20 years ago when i was in council property you shouldn't have had animals it's only when you read the rent book you notice it then .I kept quiet & ended up with 2 dogs & 2 cats before it was allowed ..i know someone with 8 yorkies now it's when the neighbours complain if they bark you may get into trouble here