UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Side Effects From Glucosamine With Chondroitin ?

Fiona711

I just wondered if anyone had had any problems giving their dogs this mix? The vet put Akira on it and she is being a bit sick, at first i thought it could be with her swapping back onto "real " food after being on chicken and rice when she was ill and me giving her green lipped mussel as well , The vet does not think it could be this thats upsetting her tummy but i have tried cutting it out and giving her her normal diet with her usual Evening primrose oil and green lipped mussel and she was fine for a few days so yesterday i tried her with the Glucosamine with Chondroitin and she was a wee bit sick again . I didnt give her it today and shes fine and has not been sick today , when she is sick it is not a lot but i am still a bit worried about her :(

I am going to phone the vets again in the morning and get an appointment with our own vet and see what she says but i just wondered of anyone else had had any problems with Glucosamine with Chondroitin ?

Fiona xx

Thanks Mel shes been getting the green lipped mussel for about 12 days but has been sick a bit since she started the Glucosamine With Chondroitin , at first i thought it was the after effects of the anesthetic then her changing back to normal food i stopped giving her the green lipped mussel for a few days and she was still sick so then i stopped the Glucosamine With Chondroitin she wasnt sick for the couple of days she didnt have it then when i gave her it again she was sick again , she has always had Glucosamine but not the Chondroitin and i just wonder if maybe the combination is upsetting her stomach a bit ?

Fiona xx

Yes i have started her back on that tonight just to see if it could be the combination with the green lipped mussel that not agreeing with her , she has always had Glucosamine but not along side either the Chondroitin or the GLM , it's just weird that the sickness started right after she went on the Glucosamine With Chondroitin, the day after the anesthetic and that was before she had any GLM so thats what makes me think it might be the combination , she is only ever sick once in a day and never a lot but enough to worry me and try cutting out the new things shes had .

Fiona xx

Just been having a think and I'm pretty sure we started Foo on Gluco/chondrotin at about the same time [or just after] she started GLM. Maybe it is the combination :dry: I know lots of people swear by GLM though. What's she having it for?

is there only me and thee here? :unsure:

Just read your other post and see she has HD.

Are you paying for Synoquin or is Akira insured?

Looks like its just us :laugh: :laugh:

Akira was diagnosed with Hip Dysplacia and when i mentioned it to Jo the vet she thought it was a good idea to try her on it , as well as the Glucosamine With Chondroitin

Akira is insured so i am not having to pay for the Synoquin i did go out and get GLM for her myself but i just want to do the best i can for her , she is only young still and it was a big shock

Fiona xx

Edited by Fiona711

Chondroitin reduces pain and inflammation, improves joint function and slows disease progression. It is believed to enhance the shock-absorbing properties of collagen(makes up cartilage) and block enzymes that break down cartilage. Currently there is no proof that it can reverse cartilage loss. It generally takes two to four months to work completely.

Glucosamine provides the natural building blocks for growth, repair and maintenance of cartilage. Like chondroitin, it helps cartilage absorb water and keeps the joint lubricated.

Hope that makes sense,

Any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to help!

Katherine

I have had mine on the combination of glucosamine, chondroitin and msn with no problems, but I do know of at least one person who's dog is allergic to seafood and reacts badly to the chondroitin and also green lipped mussel.

Maybe it might be worth trying a different formulation? A different brand or strength, or liquid rather than capsule etc...

Glucosamine/chondroitin mixes are generally regarded as fairly free of side effects (according to OH's orthopedic surgeon), but it is usually derived from shell fish which might give a problem. When I ordered Lily's cod liver oil from Zipvit I noticed that they were advertising vegetarian glucosamine which might be worth a go if you are still having a problem.

Funny thing, when my Scampi was prescribed Glucosamine/Chondroitin, after having it for less than a week he started to be sick, so I stopped it for a couple of days and he was fine until taking it again. I went back to my vet who although didn't know if this was a side effect or not contacted the rep and it turned out that nausea and vomiting can happen with some dogs taking it.

Edited by Bernie

My mother found it made her feel nauseous, she tried it for a week but it didn't agree so it could be there are some it just doesn't suit. I've had good success with it for Indy who has arthritis and HD. We also found that hydrotherapy in the water walker was very good for building up his muscles around his hip joints which helped stablise his joints.

Whoareyoucallingfish.jpg

My Bullmastiff has HD and arthritis (and also slight ED. She's nearly 2 years old, her hip score is 44:42)

She is on Syn-Flex, and I also give her Green Lipped Mussel tablets from Zip-Vit.

She's also doing hydrotherapy......the mix of them all is brilliant....she is in no pain, and has amazing muscle tone.

Edited by Hevvur