UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Are You Glad You Picked Rescue Dogs

yena

All my dogs since 2000 have been rescue one way or another, I can't even remember why we decided to go down that route. I think it was when Yena had been found and desperately needed a home, afterwards I remember thinking how many more rescue dogs are they out there that also need loving homes. Our visits to the NCDL now called Dogs Trust, confirmed that loads needed homes. I've never regretted having rescues, sometimes it's difficult to understand what their former life was like and even harder to cope with the fact that the dog you now love at one time might have been abused. But, yes I'm glad I picked rescues and I'm proud to say to people 'all my dogs are rescue' :biggrin:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 rescue dogs,a dobermann Skye a jack russell Kizzy and a rottie boy Sabre and they all mean the world to me but so does my home bred rottie girl Ebbie. It is wonderful to be able to take in a rescue dog but I don't think people ought to feel uncomfortable for buying a pedigree dog. I have both and adore all of them. x :)

I have a mixture as well. All of the rescues I have taken in have been a challenge but then that could be because I didn't actually choose any of them.

1 came from a pts pound and I put my name down for him incase his owner didn't turn up. They didn't.

1 came from a private home. Was very stressed where he was. The family had detached themselves from him as they knew they were giving him up. You can't do that to a Vizsla! He'd already bitten a member of the family as he was so distressed. Needed out quickly so we took him in. He was very aggressive with us when we got him home but we soon sorted that out. He is now happier than he's ever been in his life and is the soppiest dog you could ever wish to meet.

1 came to us on foster. She had been stuck in kennels for weeks and there was no-one else to take her in. She has behavioural issues and was terrified on arrival.

1 came to us on foster as she was possibly in danger of pts as options were running out fast and had all sorts of medical problems & behavioural issues as well as being very old. So we took her in.

Most had had no kind of training at all so we had to sort that out. 1 had very little training.

I don't do easy going dogs anyway funnily enough. I like them to have a bit about them. Those that haven't been rescues have been real characters as well.

Edited by Jacobean

I don't love Lex more or less because she is a rescue dog. (I love her less though, when she is a total daddys girl and ignores me :glare: ). I think some people get a bit holier than though about rescuing, to the point where it almost sounds like they think rescue dogs deserve MORE love than non rescues, which I find rediculous. Indy and Akita are bought as pups and I love them to death.

That said, I can't see myself buying from breeders again, as I have no reason to :flowers:

I didn't pick them, Scampi and Dylan picked me. Scampi was being dragged along a canal bank, his destiny a watery grave, fate must have stepped in and we just happened to be there at the right time. We only took Dylan out of the rescue for a walk with Scampi to see if they got on together, luckily they did because Dylan flattened himself on the floor on return and refused to go back into the kennel. What choice did we have but to adopt him?

No, I regret it totally, they are a pain in the arse... :devil:

Also, rescue cats fart in your ear. :glare:

:laugh:

Actually, I don't know, I've always had rescue animals (apart from a couple of my early rabbits) so I have no idea if it would be any different having non-rescue ones. You get such an amazing range of brilliant animals of all sizes, shapes, breeds and temperaments in rescues, I've never felt the need to buy one from a breeder.

Unfortunately my experience of taking on a rescue dog was far from good.

I wanted a puppy but as I hadn't had a dog before no rescue would let me have one. We decided to take on an older dog from the ncdl and brought home Sebastian a medium sized cross who was lovely. He peed everywhere and on everyone, was very aggressive when I took him out in the dark and would lunge and bark at everyone. The final straw was when my sister was sitting in my living room and he went up to her and peed down her leg ( not the first time he had peed on people in the house ). I loved that dog and it broke my heart to take him back :mecry: , it put me of trying rescue again and that's why I got my designer mutt. I now know a lot more about the way dogs behave and I hope in the next few months to try again with a rescue dog, it's just that Sebastian was not the right dog for a first time owner.

Terri

I am so glad I chose to look at rescue dogs after my old Collie lad went to The bridge i cann't honestly say why i did something made me look on WAW 5 months after and there he was a little sad face looking out at me and i just knew he was for me i printed the page and showed all my friends what i would have done if i hadn't passed the home check i don't know that was 19 months ago and Murphy is about 22 months and can still do the sad face when he wants :rolleyes: I must say that it was the best thing i ever did and i am very proud to say that i am the owner of a rescue dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine are half and half...Cromwell picked me (foster dog that stayed), Tiz I specifically went to rescue wanting a bitch, medium sized and quiet :rolleyes: (well 2 out of 3 ain't bad!!), Sidney I well and truly picked...couldn't take my eyes away from his picture on DP and couldn't stop thinking about him...and Cooper, well Catherine at WAW picked him for me!! Another foster I failed with...but she's very very good at match making that Catherine, couldn't of picked a better dog myself!! :biggrin:

I for one would never ever have anything but rescue, I just look at my lot and know that there isn't a better bunch of dogs (in my eyes) available for all the money in the world! I am an extreamly proud owner of rescue dogs and make sure the world knows it. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I've never had, and never will have, any other dogs than rescue dogs.

My mum picked our first one, wanting a friendly and easy-going dog (well, he was friendly to most people :rolleyes: ). I was never going to fall in love with any dog when I went to do voluntary work in Greece - how stupid was i? Within 24 hours I'd fallen head over heels in love with Malcolm's sad face and was determined to get him to come out of his shell.

Kiera was a private rehoming, and her previous "owners" chose me - failing that most likely the next beggar who'd offered them a tenner for her :unsure:

I am so proud of my 2 babes, I feel the same about them as Jacky about hers and I can't help but telling everyone that they are rescues too! :biggrin: If that's self-righteous then so be it. What with 8000 healthy dogs being put to sleep every year because they are surplus to requirement, I don't think it is.

My last dog :biginlove: was I believe chosen for me. Found as a stray almost dead and I kept her.

My current dog :bigloveshy: who is a handful and a half is a private re-homing via Hereford and Worcester. I was supposed to be having a Spinone but, some one seemed to have other ideas.

I believe both my dogs were chosen for me as neither were/are what I said I wanted.

I guess I would always have a rescue dog as I would not want a pup and even though my current monster is a pedigree I much prefer cross breeds.

I seem to have a wee theme going with my dogs. They all have bits missing. Lucy only had one eye and poor Lottie is docked :sad02: