UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pet Insurance Recommendations Please

merledogs

I have also found VIP very helpful.

When I contacted them they did infer that new companies used a 'carrot' to get clients in and then take the carrot away.

You renew your policy each year so the terms can change from year to year. Petplan have made changes to their conditions this year by restricting the amount they will pay out for homeopathic treatment. Previously , there was no limit.

VIP can answer your questions about changing companies and any exceptions that might apply. They can also negotiate with a company in case of a dispute.

If you do chamnge remeber that your new policy usually doesn't give cover for illness for two or three weeks so you need to overlap them.

It is well worth giving VIP a call. You are not obliged to take up a policy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you send me a copy of your complain Maria. I would like to complain too. I just changed Max over and they didn't mention then that next year they will remove the excess. Max is still with Petpals as with M&S, I think i will just cancel M&S then.

Except for Jake I never claimed for any of them, so hopefully I will be able to change. Got my renewal for Jake through last month and no word about hicking up the excess eventually. I understood them as if that is only for new policies.

I have my 5 insured with M&S. When they come up for renewal I will be looking elsewhere too.

I think AXA are the underwriters for Sainsbury's too.

The PDSA offer insurance underwritten by Axa too. Before adding to Sainsbury's wealth it might be worth comparing the two & seeing whether you could get the same policy & benefit a worthy cause at the same time.

http://www.bdmlconnect.co.uk/pet/schemes/p...pages/frame.asp

The PDSA offer insurance underwritten by Axa too. Before adding to Sainsbury's wealth it might be worth comparing the two & seeing whether you could get the same policy & benefit a worthy cause at the same time.

It was more expensive than Sainsburys for a lower level of cover.

I have got Poppy covered through PetPlan and despite not being the cheapest, they have been very good and paid all of her claims directly to the vet. The premium only went up by a couple of pounds per month when it renewed this year, despite all the claims I have made. I will be taking out a full policy with PetPlan for Dolly as she came with a 6 week cover plan from Lizzies Barn :)

My friend has Petplan insurance for Sophie her BT. Sophie had a bad accident last year and had to have a complicated op at the vet hospital up in Edinburgh, with 3 or 4 follow up visits up there and hydrotherapy sessions locally. Petplan have been great and are still paying for the hydro 12 months on and all other associated costs such as travel to Edinburgh and to hydro. My friend totted it all up and to date they have paid out something in the region of £6,000.

Marion

Have you tried getting a quote direct from Axa Alex?

http://www.axa.co.uk/pet/index.html

Policy not exactly the same (complimentary therapy limit is less for example), but otherwise seems similar.....

I got a quote from them and M&S for a ficticious dog Boysie's age (with no exclusions), and the M&S one was over £200 more expensive! So much for them blaming the underwriters..........

Have you tried getting a quote direct from Axa Alex?

http://www.axa.co.uk/pet/index.html

Policy not exactly the same (complimentary therapy limit is less for example), but otherwise seems similar.....

I got a quote from them and M&S for a ficticious dog Boysie's age (with no exclusions), and the M&S one was over £200 more expensive! So much for them blaming the underwriters..........

Thank you for that, I just got a quote and they are about £150 cheaper than M&S and the cover is good too :biggrin: They are also cheaper than Sainsbury's, so I may well be going with them instead :partytime:

The quote with Axa for Larkin was only £1 cheaper than with M&S

I pay £25 for him per month, which is a lot, with petpals it would be £19 and with Halifax £13, saying that, so far I still have the Nil excess on M&S, so I will give it a think about what to do, leave him there for another year or move him now.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

I have also found VIP very helpful.

It is well worth giving VIP a call. You are not obliged to take up a policy.

I would recommend them too.

They were my first port of call when I wanted to get our collie insured. Told them what cover I needed, made sure it would be OK for agility and not more expensive because he is a "working sheepdag" and they came up with Petpals who were brilliant when I had a biggish claim soon after.

Money in my account 9 days after the vet posted off the claim.

If you're talking to them , you're talking to someone who knows dogs as well as insurance.

Besides, I don't see the point of slogging through all the policies on offer when you can get someone else to do it for you.

Pam

Besides, I don't see the point of slogging through all the policies on offer when you can get someone else to do it for you.

You cannot guarantee though that they won't try and push the policy which pays them the most 'kick back', which is why I prefer to shop around myself as well. I will give them a call next week to see what they come up with.

I looked at Petpals and it was much more expensive, plus the cover wasn't comparable.

Edited by madmerle

The quote with Axa for Larkin was only £1 cheaper than with M&S

I pay £25 for him per month, which is a lot, with petpals it would be £19 and with Halifax £13, saying that, so far I still have the Nil excess on M&S, so I will give it a think about what to do, leave him there for another year or move him now.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Probably not the popular view but personally I'd look at how much you've paid in and how many claims you've made.

£25 x £12 is £300 per year & according to pdsa insurance quoted figures their average claim was only £250 - £280 (2 pages each gave a different figure). Now I accept that if a major illness or accident occurs you do have to find much more but if you can resist the temptation to spend on other things then I'd have thought you're better off putting your £300 per year into a an account reserved solely for vets fees. The insurance industry doesn't do anyone any favours - if they offer cover they already know the odds are stacked in their favour!

Edited by Ian

You cannot guarantee though that they won't try and push the policy which pays them the most 'kick back', which is why I prefer to shop around myself as well. I will give them a call next week to see what they come up with.

I looked at Petpals and it was much more expensive, plus the cover wasn't comparable.

Would it matter if you get the policy you want at a price you consider reasonable? (No reason to believe that's what they do anyway. They would have given me as many quotes as I asked for and there was no hard sell whatsoever.)

As people are finding too, cheapest isn't always the best in the long run.

50% cheaper than Petplan and a comparable policy and service will do me fine.

Ask them which company they never recommend. It won't surprise you.

Pam

Edited by mum24dog