UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Update On Axel

mandy

As some of you know, we have had ongoing problems with Axel chewing his back and it getting really nasty and infected because of his underlying hip dysplasia.

I have managed to clear his skin up by making him permanently wear a surgical collar thingy that stops him biting. He has been on numerous painkillers to try and get him comfortable, but everytime he manages to get his collar off (overnight) his back is raw and bleeding by the morning :unsure:

Its obvious to me, that although he is quite mobile and doesn't look like a "painful dog"....as the vet puts it, he must be in constant discomfort, as he chews his back again as soon as he gets the chance.

I don't feel it's fair to make him spend the rest of his life uncomfortable with the collar on, but can't leave him without it or he gets a raging skin infection.

I am going to make an appointment with the vet this week to see if there are any other painkillers we can try to make him comfortable. If not, I am going to take him the week after (while my son is away) and send him to doggie heaven where he won't be in this awful discomfort.

I feel terrible as he's not poorly as such, but don't think we have any kind options left....his hips are only going to get worse, and if we can't get him comfy, I feel it would be cruel to keep him going, just because we love him and don't want to lose him.

Sat here crying my bloody eyes out at the thought....but I don't know what else I can do.

Sorry to go on...but I know you lot will understand and hopefully help me feel less like a murderer!

Thanks

Mandy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you say Axel doesn't appear to be in pain as your vet ruled out any other possible irritants that could be making him do this other than pain?

If so I believe there is an operation which can help a dog with hip displasia - PROVIDING that there is no nerve damage. Cost quoted to a rescue I know was about £700. In the meantime a quick search came up with this http://archive.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/2004/1/19/127678.html to show you that it is possible.

There is also a natural supplement - which though I haven't needed to try it makes some interesting claims of proven success & scientific testing, also including a refund if you are not entirely satisfied

http://www.vetionx.com/arthro-ionx_hip.php

It appears to be glocosamine based with additions however, so perhaps your vet has already tried supplements?

If not you might also find this of interest http://www.jointcare.com/productrange/index.html

Though she had not been diagnosed with hip displasia Joyces legs were not looking good & I found cod liver oil & a chicken diet combined with building up her exercise helped her with this.

Thanks for that Ian.

We know it is his hips that is causing him to nibble....he's had approx £1500 worth of tests at the vet hospital to rule out everything else. When his hips were X-rayed I mentioned surgery....but he's gone past the point where it would be helpful.

As well as his painkillers he is on food with added glucosamine etc, and has supplements of glucosamine, chondroitin and also green lipped mussel. He also has cod liver oil. I have tried both increasing his exercise and decreasing it....nothing appears to make any difference.

Oh....he's had acupuncture too.

All suggestions are appreciated though, as I'm prepared to try most things!!

:GroupHug: from me too. When we had a dog that chewed the base of its tail raw we bought a "sausage" collar. I can't remember where we bought it,it was from e bay,but it was brilliant. It was made of rubber and fitted round the neck like an ordinary collar bit much thicker (outwards if you know what I mean).It was lightweight but he couldn't get his head round to chew himself.

But if you have tried everything then I am sure that we all feel very sorry for the awful choice you have to make.x

Very sorry Axel and you are going through all this :( :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Would something like hydrotherapy help? :unsure: If you have any healers nearby who will work with animals, that is something I would try, to see if it would provide some relief :flowers: Would be happy to send him Reiki and put him on the distant healing lists I'm on too if you like (and do you have a photo).

Thinking of you :GroupHug:

Thanks guys :flowers:

It's similar to a sausage collar that he's wearing....it stops him chewing....but doesn't stop him wanting to....that's what makes me feel bad. The vet doesn't think hydrotherapy would help.

Reiki would be greatly appreciated thank you :flowers:

Here's a photo of my big lad

axelbed.jpg

and what his back looks like when he chews

IMG_0763.jpg

I don't know whether you've tried Homeopathy, or whether it could be of any help, but apart from Reiki it sounds like about the only possibility left. Could he be put on a really high dose of Rimadyl or Metacam ? It would of course cause long term damage but in Axel's case that wouldn't matter.

If nothing works then I think the kindest thing for Axel would be to send him to the Bridge, it is an awful decision and you have my heartfelt sympathy. Sometimes we have to be brave and do what is best for them. Quality is more important than quantity.

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

If ive read this right and the chewing is caused by pain, have you tried PLT.

A lot people may not agree, but ive had two shepherd with bad hips and found it marvellous, though i must say it doesnt suit all dogs, you have to keep a close watch on them, especially at first.

It is an old fashioned drug now, but my dogs were on it for 3+ yrs and no problems at all.

Found it much better than metacam.

PS Axel is scrummy :flowers:

Thanks again guys :GroupHug:

He's on high dose metacam at the moment, and has also been on morphine patches....with no effect. I don't think homeopathy stands a chance...to be honest...might have a look about it when I get back from the vets this week. The trouble with painkillers is we have to be careful not to set his epilepsy off so are limited to what we can use.

ruff72...what's PLT?

Just googled it....he couldn't have it because of the odd things that are going on with his infected skin, they won't let him have steroids...shame!

Edited by mandy