UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Second Greyhound Found Dead

greyhound pal

http://icayrshire.icnetwork.co.uk/ayrshire...-name_page.html

Second greyhound found dead Jul 18 2007

THE GREYHOUND found shot in the head and left dying ran at Ayr Greyhound Stadium the previous night.

The dog finished last in its race, says vet Lorna Lazenby, who put the dog down after being called out.

A cottage-owner near Dalrymple heard the dog’s yelps of agony, and Lorna found it had been shot in the head with an airgun.

Lorna knows who owned the dog, from a racing tattoo number she found on its ear.

But the SSPCA says it can’t prosecute – because police told Lorna to dispose of the dog’s body, without doing a post-mortem.

SSPCA spokesperson Doreen Graham said: “We want to prosecute all cases of animal cruelty. But our legal experts tell us that without a body we can’t make a case.â€

Doreen added: “The bottom line is that the decision by the police was entirely inappropriate. We would have taken the dog’s body to a Glasgow University expert for photographs and a post-mortem. And we would have been confident of a prosecution.â€

Vet Lorna said: “I asked the police if they needed a post-mortem. But 15 minutes later they phoned me back to say ‘No, just dispose of it’.â€

However, a police spokesman insisted this week that inquiries are ongoing, and the case could be prosecuted.

The matter is now in the hands of wildlife officer, Constable Sam Clark, based in Dalmellington. Anyone with information is asked to contact her on 01292 550322 or [email protected]

Ayr Greyhound Stadium staff are helping police with their inquiries into the dog’s death.

A spokesman said: “We’ve showed police the owner’s records. And he won’t be allowed to race his dogs here until this matter is fully investigated.

“We have a zero tolerance policy to anyone being cruel to dogs, and we have a vet on call if any dogs are injured while racing.

“Sadly, this wee dog won’t be the first to meet this kind of end. And we really need to make an example of people who would do this or be involved in it.â€

Lorna Lazenby went back to the Dalrymple area this week with volunteers from Greyhound Rescue Scotland.

And they found a second dead greyhound lying in the thick undergrowth.

Lorna said: “There’s no way of knowing how many dogs could have died there.â€

http://www.greyhoundactionscotland.org.uk

:mecry: :grrr: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Good God!! and lord Dipsey D**k head :handjob had the nerve to say to Annette Crosbie how much things have changed and improved, and we are all living in the past? Tell that to this poor mite!!

Run free now sweetheart away from the scum of the racing industry............. :GroupHug:

Yep but the problem is that Ayr is a flapping track (like all but one track in Scotland) therefore it backs up what the industry says that its the flapping tracks bringing the "sport" into disrepute. Never mind he had 67 races at licensed tracks prior to him being sold on to flapping tracks (like that is acceptable thing to do). Lovely picture of him on that site that can't be mentioned :cry:

The positive (if there is such a thing) is that this coming out is more than likely going to sway the govt towards outlawing flapping tracks in Scotland - then who would the barstards blame for the mass death of healthy dogs???

Poor poor lad :mecry: :mecry: , there is a ( for want of better words ) greyhound kennel ( ha bl00dy ha ) just a bit along the road from me, the dogs there are run on flapping tracks.. I have lost count of the amount of times I have complained to the council about it, what do they do sweet f.a..

I will need to try and get along and get more photo's the place looks even worse than it did before.

Terri

Sleep tight sweetheart :mecry:

I just read elsewhere that the person who owned him *allegedly* had only had him for a couple of weeks and sold him after his last race, and was sickened when he found out what had happened to the dog. Yeah right. Words just fail me, when will things change for these beautiful dogs :mecry:

Yet another!

Poor lad..... I would like to think that this would be the last one, the one that made the difference, the one that made the greyhound racing industry take responsibility for *all* the dogs involved!

The law needs to be enforced, the industry won't do it, isn't it time the government made them?

I'm speechless. ALL greyhound racing is corrupt and evil no matter if it is a registered track or not. :angry: :angry:

Couldn't agrre more Wendy :GroupHug: :angry: SCUM! All of them..the people who bet on it, the people who televise it, the people who train the dogs, the people who breed ALL OF THEM!

The matter is now in the hands of wildlife officer, Constable Sam Clark, based in Dalmellington. Anyone with information is asked to contact her on 01292 550322 or [email protected]

Is there any point in emailing this officer to ask what safeguards are to be put in place to ensure that in future bodies aren't disposed of before forensic tests etc?

The Ayrshire Post is a weekly paper (I think?) - not sure if there's much point in writing to their letters page, but I suppose it can't do any harm, if it makes one person re-think their attitude to racing. I can't believe that this kind of thing still constitutes a night's fun for some folk. :(