UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Breast Feeding In Public

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 15 when i had my first baby, and i breast fed her for 8 months :biggrin: I did it everywhere and anywhere. I fed her on the back of the school bus and in restaurants, macdonalds, the train. It was a case of screaming baby or content baby.

No-one even knew what i was doing, a front buttoned blouse and a shawl wrapped around baby meant no-one was any the wiser.

Breast feeding is the most natural thing ever, god gave us boobies for that reason!

Totally fine as long as it's discreet. A friend of mine insisted on getting her veiny baps out in full view which was a bit uncomfortable but as long as it's now all on show then I think you should be able to do it wherever and whenever you need to.

I'm with Sarah on this one, no problem anywhere as long there is a little discretion. :flowers:

I remember my Mum saying she was in a Cafe once and a child of about 4/5 grabbed his Mum's boob for a feed :ohmy: I think that might be a bit offputting :huh:

I remember my Mum saying she was in a Cafe once and a child of about 4/5 grabbed his Mum's boob for a feed :ohmy: I think that might be a bit offputting :huh:

I think if the child is of an age where they could just as well have something else for a snack, or actually ASKS for it, then maybe I would not like it so much :unsure: In my first reply I was more referring to babies.

I wasn't able to breastfeed my three, wish I could have. Can't see anything wrong with it. I have seen some breastfeeding mums who are really in your face (not literally thank God LOL) about it, being overly obvious about it, getting them both out, etc - but I s'pose I can see why when they get persecuted so much for doing what's bloomin' natural. I don't think any mother, a breastfeeding one or bottle-feeding one, should feel bad about how they feed their baby. To be honest I've got more of a problem with those select few mothers and health professionals who guilt trip those that don't breastfeed. My first was born 5 weeks late, my milk had been and gone, 2nd was born a month early and I couldn't produce (by the time he was well enough to feed, it had all gone), 3rd's birth left me very ill so never was well enough. I got more stick about that than any other aspect of motherhood to be honest - and I don't think anyone deserves that whether they breastfeed openly in public or bottlefeed. :flowers:

Edited by KathyM

It's funny that, Kathy - well not funny at all - and poor you :GroupHug: - but with my first baby, I was the only one in the ward breast-feeding. They put screens round me, and timed me with a watch (two minutes each side first time and the poor baby snatched away immediately), and I was made very aware that the nurses preferred sensible bottle-feeding mothers. I think they felt more in control, because they could take over the baby's total care.

I have to say, that had all changed by the time I had my last in the late eighties, when breast-feeding was more the norm.

Finally, to those who might find it embarrassing - there is no need for anyone to show her boobs during feeding. As kiri_tc says, a shawl and front-opening shirt (or loose sweater) hides everything.

I do wonder, though, why we are so sensitive about a bit of bare flesh when we are ok with low-cut tops and bare pregnant bellies? Oh, and jeans which show off bums... :unsure:

me too :biggrin: even when I was on my own, well not quite on my own, usually with a baby.

:laugh: :laugh:

I fed Ellis in public and was asked to go to the ladies loo in one place. I refused and we left.

There's no need to be hanging your boobs out all over the place [even when you're not feeding!] and as everyone agrees, it's the most natural thing in the world.

Yes it's natural, but so is pooing and farting. Some natural things we prefer to have kept private.

I have no objection to subtle breastfeeding wherever, but I could really do without the whole 'I am a natural mum, so I am going to whack my tits out right under your nose' thing. I have a friend who does this*. I would not mind if she used a shawl or something, but frankly, her tits are not suitable for the exposure they receive. They are ugly, veiny and utilitarian. And covered in babydribble. It's like eating with your mouth open: yes it's a natural process but I don't want to see the process in fine detail, and if you are talking to someone, it's really hard to keep your eyes perfectly at eye level at all time. Specially when there is movement and squelching.

I have exactly the same objection to lowcut tops showing saggy breasts, sad, damp, icky bum cleavage, and tops too short to cover sagging blobby tummies. If you are going to flaunt it, and it's worth the flaunting - feel free, but if it's not a thing of beauty, then for the sake of the rest of us, tuck it away my good woman!

* she also has an icon showing in closeup her breast with baby attached, so if you encounter her from a hundred miles away, you STILL have to squint in order to not get an eyeful. ARGH!

*preparing to be attacked now* :unsure:

My best friend breastfed my godson and i found it slightly embarassing in certain places, eg in restaurants and a travel agents. :rolleyes:

I think that's a cultural thing though Cheryl, not necessarily a personal thing. We're babies of the generations where it was not so common to breastfeed and bottle was considered better, so it still seems like the exception rather than the rule and we feel slightly shocked by it. Also, as the media is *full* of breasts, always portrayed as sexual objects it can be difficult to dissociate them from that and see them for their true usage!

And also I think that breast-feeding happens in public far more often than we realise, but that most mums do not feel the need for over-exposure. The ones that do probably have just as many psychological issues as the people who object to breastfeeding in public!

Yes it's natural, but so is pooing and farting. Some natural things we prefer to have kept private.

I have no objection to subtle breastfeeding wherever, but I could really do without the whole 'I am a natural mum, so I am going to whack my tits out right under your nose' thing. I have a friend who does this*. I would not mind if she used a shawl or something, but frankly, her tits are not suitable for the exposure they receive. They are ugly, veiny and utilitarian.

I have exactly the same objection to lowcut tops showing saggy breasts, sad, damp, icky bum cleavage, and tops too short to cover sagging blobby tummies. If you are going to flaunt it, and it's worth the flaunting - feel free, but if it's not a thing of beauty, then for the sake of the rest of us, tuck it away my good woman!

Your friend sounds like an exhibitionist but to call breasts "utilitarian" is a bit odd - isn't that what they are, primarily? Not just a couple of cute toys for the lads?

Oh, I must be so old.:mecry: I don't think any woman should feel she has to flaunt herself, frankly - but to say it's only acceptable if her body's beautiful enough...? :unsure:

I was just having a discussion with a friend and we were in a public place with lots of baby type creatures. I asked them how they would feel if i sat there and breast fed. They responded 'i would feel embrassed and ask to you to go to the bathroom' At which point i asked why and they felt that 'it was not something that should be done in public'. I strongly disageed and said that breast feeding was perfectly natural and should not be somthing hidden. I told them to go eat the rest of their meal in a bathroom and see how they like it. Its a shame that some people feel like this but that is their point of view. I dont like people that whip em out for the world to see and that there should be some discretion.

Just wondering what your points of view are