UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Often Do You Feed Your Dogs ?

celeste

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once a fortnight here :unsure:

I open a bag of dry food, and leave it for Meg to eat, it takes her roughly a fortnight to get through a 1.5kg bag.

She doesn't do bowls, (she picks them up, carries them about, dumps the food, then chews the bowl up, even metal ones, or china ones! ) but is happy to help herself from the bag, so i let her.

She has a half slice of toast in a morning if anyone makes it, or she'll finish off some cereal. At night she has any leftover dinner if there is some, but her main diet is her dry dog food, she can't stomach wet food.

Nog's free fed as is mil's dog when she stays with us never had any squabbles over food but then Nog's pretty easy going when it comes to his food as Wendy will confirm he doesn't care who eats out of his bowl - Connie found that out pretty quick when she visited I think Poppy must have told her :laugh:

I've found free feeding to be a very good way of sorting out food issues but I am by no means saying it would work for every dog or every household, but it's worked for us for many years and many different dogs.

Nog had been a starving stray when we rescued him, a real scavenger, so we simply put down small handfuls of food in the bowl whenever it was empty until he realised that it was the magic never ending dog bowl and quit worrying about caching food in case of emergencies.

Nog grazes throughout the day a nibble here a nibble there plus he has any leftovers from our meals, he tends to help himself to a few mouthfuls of the dried last thing at night just before bed and a couple more in the morning, the rest of the day he rarely bothers. If there havent been any leftovers then I'll stick a tin of sardines in with a handful of the dried for variety.

Same here. When I got Willow I think everyone assumed that he would have food issues for the rest of his life because he'd been starved before being fostered by Marie (Granny Squirrel).

It didn't take him more than a few months to realise that he was never going to have starvation issues in our house!!

To date he's never 'surfed' the kitchen worktops - last week I left the leftovers from the roast on the cooker overnight cos I forgot to put it down for him (it was his anyway) and it was untouched when I came home :biggrin:

I just let him graze and he eats when he needs to.

He used to be a bit unsure of Gizzy and Ziggy cats stealing his food and would come crying to me that they were nicking his food.

That was until the sneaky b*gger realised that once the cats ate it all, he got fresh food :rolleyes:

Now he actively encourages them to go first :laugh:

Three times a day but no treats. Toast in the morning (or Harry is sick :sick01: ), small meal at lunchtime & main meal at 5pm.

Willow has toast - so do my Mum's. It's just been a family tradition thing as I grew up cooking extra toast for 3 dogs because Mum and Dad used to do it.

[quote name='ReikiAnge' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:15 PM' post='494975' I can't imagine eating just one meal a day so I don't want them to either

Thats how i feel to but once a day seems to be working for them at the mo, they do get a biscuit in the morning and get fed at about three, it's very interesting to see diffrent feeding methods, i don't know if having food down all the time would work, they get lamb mince in their food and i would worry about fly's in the summer.

I had always fed twice a day when i had Louie (GSD) but this pair just aren't that arsed about food, unless it's ours :glare: i will try twice a day again in the winter when they might need more nutrition, or if they start to lose weight.

Thanks for all the replys :flowers:

Edited by celeste

Twice a day - plus training treats or kongs to keep her entertained if she's on her own or OH needs to work without interruption for a while.

I've been seriously considering free feeding her - she was a stray and is a really bad scavenger. Although, not sure how that would work with our re-hydrated dog food :laugh: and worry that she'd eat herself stupid. Going back to mealtimes after trying free feeding could be a disaster - she'd never trust us that she was going to get food again.

Twice a day for our 3. Usually 7 - 7.30 am and again at 2pm. Tea is that early as tea at 4pm meant Molly would want to go out at 3,4 or 5am. She's settled well to this. They have a few biscuits or treats in the evenings after their evening walk. When we had her alone, she free fed but hardly ate anything. We couldn't do that now as Izzie is obsessed with food and thinks all food is hers. Fin is the hardest to please with food, as he suffers badly with wind whatever he eats.

Twice a day here. Because of my odd shift pattern, they don't have set times, so it can be early if I'm on days (5am) or later if I'm coming home from nights (7am) and anything between 5pm and 7.30pm in the evening. Bumpy tends to put weight on so doesn't have treats but Pops and Connie have a few treats each :biggrin:

My 'younger' (ie middle aged dogs) get a smallish breakfast and their main meal in the evening. I keep the morning meal small because they usually have their main offlead run in the morning, and I find Sophie and Taz's recall is much better if they aren't too full to want whatever's in my pockets :rolleyes:

The two oldies get their food split equally morning/evening, I think it'e easier for them to digest two small meals than one large one.