UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anal Glands...vets Job?

suzeanna

Dylan needed his anal sacs emptying some time ago, and by the way he keeps licking his rear end I have a sinking feeling they need doing again! I've read up on the method, but if I get it wrong, could I do him harm? should I take him to the vet again?

There are 2 of them placed at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions round the anal opening. They drain toxins and stuff and can get full of bad smelling gunk and block up which is uncomfortable for the dog (or cat). They can get infected which is very nasty. If they are functioning OK they drain themslves.

I used to do Ralphies an old foster lad from NCAR.

But and here comes the big but, I was shown how to do it properly. It isn't nice at all and the smell lingers. The best time to do it is when the doglet is relaxed. Best place is outside and plenty of newspaper underneath. Ask your vet to show you how to do it. Please don't try yourself until you are confident.

Otherwise you could make matters worse.

Kazz xx

I worked at a groomers, and did them all day long. I felt a satisfaction when it felt like a bubble popping. I made sure they were positioned right, and my hand was in the right place so I didnt get covered lol. The dogs felt much better.

Thanks folks...I think I'll take him to the vet this time, and ask them to show me how to do it..he's very relaxed at the vets, he likes them all. Poor lad is going to think we don't love him any more...vet tonight (hopefully) and boarding kennels tomorrow! :(

I do all mine (if and when they need doing), doesn't really bother me :unsure: .

The best place to do it is when you are bathing your dog, so if any does get on the dogs coat it can be washed off.

I have an alternative medicine book for animals. They say to use Silicia (sp?), which I bought from the nelson range. It really seems to work for Breeze. :flowers:

Change to raw feeding...haven't had to have Tiz done since I did! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Bertie's raw fed but still has anal gland problems. The vet offered to teach me how to do it, I politely declined! Actually things seemed to have improved since I've been giving him a tablespoon of soaked porridge oats a couple of times of week.