UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Getting Annoyed Now

Henry has no respect for me :angry: and its getting worse.

He completed is KC good citizens about a year ago and knows the basics - sit, stay, down etc.

Now my problem with him is his recall. He just doesnt listen to me and goes off on his own accord. He isnt food or toy orientated so its difficult to get him to come back.

its not so bad in an open place like a field or the beach cos I can always see him but woods or forests its worse.

Any ideas?

Edited by cheryl33

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he dose not come back then why is he off lead ?

each time it happens it is a biger and bigger green light thats it's ok to go and not come back

i would put him on a long line and keep himt hat way till he gets that he has to come back 100% of the time

good luck

do you still go to dog club ?

have you tryed talking to the trainers there ?

i think to get him back first time ( not 5 or 10 ) he has to get that first time he dose it

on a long line you can bring him in as soon as you ask

not when he wants

but like most training if he has to get that you want it first time and don't want to ask him more than once

if he knows a stay what about putting him in a down and saying stay going over to him and putting him back on the lead ?

would he go down if not far away from you ?? and stay

thankx cocoa ,no dont go to any training club at the moment.

He knows what i am asking when I call him back but as i said he has no respect for me, he just wanders off....or chases something etc etc and then comes back a few mins later when hes has enough

a long line it is then

thankx cocoa ,no dont go to any training club at the moment.

He knows what i am asking when I call him back but as i said he has no respect for me, he just wanders off....or chases something etc etc and then comes back a few mins later when hes has enough

a long line it is then

Cheryl this is the same problem i used to have with Dylan, he's certainly not perfect yet by any means but he's much improved.

Get him on a long line and wait until you are in front of him, then once he starts walking towards you, run backwards with loads of giddy praising etc 'come on, good boy, etc etc'. He will run to you because he's chasing you, once he reaches you praise him loads. Do it like this a few times then start doing it when he not necessarily behind you, call him and start running off - he will follow :flowers:

Does that make sense??

If you only call him back at the end of a walk when the fun is over dogs learn that one quickly :rolleyes: make sure that you call him back, praise and release (still on the long line) during your walk so he never knows when walk/fun time is over. That includes where you call back for the final time, one of mine went through that phase cos we were at the gate when she got her 'final call back' so I had to walk on past the gate a few times.

Apart from what's already been said: try and find somewhere that is quite boring to practice to start with, and work up.

I find that if you drop to the ground when you call, that makes them want to come and see what's going on as well.

Try hide and seek, if he is the kind of dog that worries if he thinks he might have got lost: call once, then duck behind a bush and wait for him to find you.

Run away from him at top speed making foolish noises, as if you'd just seen something exciting and were chasing it: they want to join in and follow you. If you are somewhere safe, and there's a gate that is safe both sides, go through the gate, close it if he isn't right there, and wait under cover on the far side of the fence. Eventually he will turn up at the gate, panicking you've left him. (I know, I know -I am a mean, mean person).

If he's been chasing something or playing and got all het up, put him on lead for a bit till the adrenaline rush has subsided before you let him go again.

:laugh: Hark at me giving advice : I've used all these, but I still can't get Az to recall quickly if he's chasing rabbits or deer, he just goes deaf. :rolleyes: But they work when he's not in hot pursuit, and they totally work with Mollydog, which is pretty impressive for an ex-racer. It's easier with her though as she is such a total greedmonster.

Oh yes, and until you've really got it down, don't call him back when he's just lit out after something. Wait till he's got bored with the magic sniff, or whatever it is he's gone after, THEN call, and make it sound exciting!

Edited by cycas

• 2 weeks later...

I know you say he's not food or toy orientated - but is your food/toy exciting enough to make him want to come back for the treat?

Have you tried the smelly hot dogs, cheese, baked liver, tuna cake - or is there any toy, tuggie or whatever that can be saved, and only used for a successful recall.

And I agree with Sanrosscott - are you recalling him frequently on walks - so he's not just being recalled when it's the end of the walk, so it's an end to fun.

Have to say that I'm in favour of putting him on a long line for now. And keep trying the recall out in less exciting places too - around the house, garden - push the boundaries out gently where there are fewer distractions, and make a huge fuss when he comes back - and hopefully you will have discovered the magic treat he enjoys!

Edited by Mrs B