UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kennel Cough

Wendbert

My neighbour who looks after the dogs when I'm at work rang me earlier to let me know that there's been KC in our area. A lady who she sometimes meets up with when she has been walking Bumpy told her today that her dog had KC and has only just got over it.

I've got an appointment for Bumpy at the vets in the morning, but my main worry is Poppy as with her heart/breathing problems I don't think her body could cope with KC.

So, my question is, if Bumpy has either the KC vax or anti-biotics, will it help prevent Poppy catching it if he has it?

Just wondering if it would be worth putting Pops on the antibiotics Wendy as a kind of 'pre-emptive measure' just in case? Not sure if it would interfer with her other meds though?

I *think* the KC vax takes a few weeks before it's effective - just like the flu jab in humans? But if Bumpy is on antiboitics to try and stave it off then that should lower the chances of anything developing I would have thought?

I think Kennel Cough is spread directly from dog to dog just like our common cold and dosn't survive long in the enviroment, so i'm not sure that Bumpy being vaxed against it would protect Poppy if she was still coming into contact with other dogs, why not ask the vet when your in with Bumpy

kc vax is a live virus so if you give it to bumpy at the vets he can come straight home and infect poppy. sory edited coz that looked a bit curt and to the point and i was on the phone but wanted to get the message over. Its stays live between 3 - 5 days depending on whether its intrac or nobivac. Probably best to wait and see if bumpy picks anything up and deal with it rather than try and prevent it :flowers:

kc is technicaly a virus so in theory no they dont help in the early stages but its common for kc to turn into a bacterial infection usually in the lungs or osophogus (?) at which point the anti biotics will do their stuff. Most vets will automatically prescribe a dose of anti biotics at the first sign of a cough to try and hit it before it gets hold.

Also get some liquorice sticks in and honey if either show any signs. Boil up 3 sticks in a pan of water and add a few tablespoons of honey and leave to simmer for about 20 mins. cool and replace drinking water with liquorice infustion. each batch of sticks will be good for boiling up 2-3 times. Honey can also be given 'neat' to ease the cough. Benylin for kids is also good for soothing the tickly feeling the dog will get.

hope that helps. feel free to keep the questions coming. anything to help pops get through a dose of cough :flowers:

Wendy I know that a friend's dog came into contact with a dog with KC and the vets put him straight on antibiotics as a pre-emptive measure - he didn't develop KC in the end so it might have been in part down to the antibiotics? :GroupHug:

I think (hope) a lot of oldies seem to be immune to some strains as they have come across them before, bit like us not getting so many colds when we are older.

Don't know if its just luck, but Hugo has never caught kennel cough in the two years since I adopted him and considering he comes to work with me, it must mean he is fairly immune to most strains.

I agree with the thought that dogs seem to build up resistance to their local strains of KC, having been exposed whilst on walks,at the vets etc. Have noticed that more recently the numbers of dogs being shown or attending breed club events coming down with KC seems to be on the increase. Maybe folk are travelling further a field to attend or maybe it`s coz one infected dog has caused a spread of outbreaks.

The problem with giving a dog anti bios as a precautionary measure might not be as simple as it sounds as you may not know when exactly (if at all) the dog might be exposed to the virus.

Have been told the best preventative is to raise the dogs natural immunity, dunno if it works but was told similar products work with humans as with dogs ie garlic (fresh or capsule) and honey are thought to promote this. Am yet to double check this with my vet though. And dunno if garlic capsules are ok for dogs .

I do use homeopathic KC remedies on my dogs if I feel they might be at risk . Dunno if it works though .

I also will not take at risk doglets into a vet waiting area. My vet is quite accommodating with my paranoia and either comes to me or I go round the back ,avoiding the waiting room.

Thanks for all the advice :flowers:

We saw the vet this morning and she said if Bumpy last had contact with the dog a couple of weeks ago, he would have had KC by now as the incubation period is about 5 days, so thankfully he got the all clear. He had a thorough check over and said Bumpy is absolutely fine :biggrin:

Just a wee thought......it came from my boarding kennel guy who is the world's biggest dog lover & fountain of all doggie knowledge.... :rolleyes:

Kennel Cough Vaccine is expensive & only really last for a few months at a time, it also hampers your dog building up a natural immunity to KC

He advised.......don't get the jab, & if your baby contracts KC, do not go to the vet......go to your nearest chemist & buy a bottle of Benilyns tickley cough bottle, give 1 teaspoon twice a day until it clears. I have tried it & found this to be more helpful in terms of recovery time, less vet's surgery trauma & less expensive for all concerned :biggrin: